Review by Itskai88 -- The Unbound Soul

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Itskai88
2019 Reading Goal: 61
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 18
2018 Reading Goal: 88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Review by Itskai88 -- The Unbound Soul

Post by Itskai88 » 01 Apr 2019, 15:12

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Unbound Soul: A Spiritual Memoir for Personal Transformation and Enlightenment is a book by American author Richard L. Haight. He started on the path toward spiritual enlightenment at a very young age. He is an instructor of meditation and healing. He includes his personal experiences of discovering the inner world of the mind.

The first part of the book is on the author’s story, the second part is about the path, and he looks at the critical nature of the universe and its elementary association to the human experience. The third part talks about daily unfoldments, where he discusses how much of a gradual process and daily struggle it is to attain the perfect awakening. The author explains the difference between soul and spirit in the fourth section. In this book, there are chapters with captivating titles and subheadings. The author’s experience in his craft was very evident as I flipped through the pages.

This book begins with the author’s personal stories and experiences. While reading this book, I discovered that the author was really passionate; trying to make sure readers understood what it meant to take a leap into consciousness. This book talks about being awakened in spirit and at the same time, the author doesn’t fail to point out that we as a people are already set in our ways and cultures so it will take an effort to achieve that level of consciousness. The author stressed that this book is about revealing hidden blocks and teaching readers how to unleash these blocks in other to shine through as they should.

There is a section about meditation in this book, and although I mediate in a different way, there were some points to take away in terms of eliminating distractions and negative thoughts during the process. The author also tries to clarify the differences between consciousness and the mind, and at the same time expresses the fact that all things are equally spiritual. To be honest, I wasn’t going to read this book just because I wasn’t even sure what it was about and when I decided to pick it up out of curiosity, I didn’t know what I was getting myself into and although I was initially on the fence about reading this, I am not disappointed. There were 25 book club questions at the end of the book which I thought was discussion worthy.

The author did a good job trying to make readers realize that there is a way to see life and all the struggles in it. With this logic, people will handle situations better, and it can also reduce some of the emotional problems that people experience. I liked this aspect of the book. The book was professionally edited and well written, I came across one punctuation error. It is very intellectual, and for a specific kind of people. So I will only recommend this to people who are open-minded and seeking spiritual growth. I would not recommend this to people who are very critical about religions or are set on particular teachings as they might not enjoy it. I for one rate this book 4 out of 4 stars, just for the fact that the author did a good job explaining his ideas without being unapproachable, and it was a learning experience for me as a newbie to these kinds of spiritual books. Although there were things in the book that I did not agree with like his views on the afterlife and hell, there was nothing I particularly disliked about the book.

The Unbound Soul
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Itskai88's review? Post a comment saying so!

Bluebird03
2019 Reading Goal: 65
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 143
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: The Ordinary Doll by Mario Kiefer

Post by Bluebird03 » 12 Apr 2019, 10:41

I read and reviewed this book also, and agree that Haight offers some excellent suggestions regarding how he meditates. Glad you enjoyed the book as well. Great review! :)

Bluebird03
2019 Reading Goal: 65
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 143
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: The Ordinary Doll by Mario Kiefer

Post by Bluebird03 » 12 Apr 2019, 10:41

I read and reviewed this book also, and agree that Haight offers some excellent suggestions regarding how he meditates. Glad you enjoyed the book as well. Great review! :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”