Review by trishthedish1 -- The Unbound Soul

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
trishthedish1
Favorite Book: Why can't Johnny Just Quit?
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishthedish1.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Review by trishthedish1 -- The Unbound Soul

Post by trishthedish1 » 01 Apr 2019, 13:38

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment by Richard L. Haight is both a memoir of Mr. Haight’s life and how the “Inspiriences” that he experienced from childhood onward formed his journey toward spiritual liberation. The “How To” part of the book partners with his experiences, so that the information never becomes too theoretical, and is always grounded with a real-life story.

I had the opportunity to read the 3rd edition of The Unbound Soul. There’s a lot to like about this edition. I very much appreciated Mr. Haight’s acknowledgment of attempting to take experiences that involve all of the senses and the right side of the brain and then trying to filter that into written language. As he so thoughtfully says in his preface, “My primary contribution was keeping my mind from getting in the way of, interfering with, or distorting the message that was trying to come through.” In the preface and in many other places throughout the book he talks about a need to actually use the included exercises and decide for yourself if the process is useful for you. Personally, I am much more likely to believe in an idea or concept when I don't feel that the person has a need to try to sway me to their point of view.

I appreciated the addition of photos to support the stories and the life experiences that Mr. Haight writes about. I am of an age where I remember back to the late eighties and early nineties when it was discovered that a few authors who had written about their experiences with spiritual awakening were not writing the memoirs they presented to the public but were actually writing fiction. The photos he has added speak for themselves. What he writes about is his life experience. Once again this adds to the authenticity of his work.

I found the Warrior’s Meditation fascinating. As a long time meditator/contemplator I had never come across this variation before. I was a bit resistant at first; however, the concept behind it made sense, and with some practice, I love it! This meditation along with another idea he briefly writes about, “The 10% Rule”, is transforming my massage/bodywork practice into work that is much more mindful, centered in the present and on the client.

I give this book four out of four stars. It appeals to a wide audience. If you are at all interested in lowering the stress in your daily life, wanting to create change in how your world works, or begin a mindfulness or meditation practice, this book is for you. If you learn best by allegory or story, you will be able to start. If you learn best in sequential steps, you will be able to start. And if you get stuck in the process, he includes several links at the end of the book under “Contact,” where you can get further assistance. If you sincerely want to create greater peace in your life, this book is a great place to start!

The Unbound Soul
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like trishthedish1's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”