Official Review: Transformation~Keep It Simple

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: Lynched by the Law by Anthony Parker

Official Review: Transformation~Keep It Simple

Post by Cecilia_L » 01 Apr 2019, 10:24

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Transformation~Keep It Simple" by Stacey D Persad.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Transformation-Keep It Simple by Stacey D. Persad is a contemplative collection of poetry. By focusing on the connection between our daily thoughts and situational responses to others, Persad provides a series of questions and scenarios to accompany the poems. At the beginning of the book, she explains how to best apply the exercises for reflection and self-transformation. By keeping the book concise and simple, her goal is to help readers strengthen their virtues while overcoming their weaknesses.

With 157 pages, this professionally-edited book is a relatively quick read. However, readers who desire to use the poetry, questions, and exercises for personal transformation, will prefer to linger and reread much of the content. The book addresses themes including love, peace, courage, power, and forgiveness. In an informal writing style, Persad clearly discusses how our opinions, doubts, fears, illusions, and perceptions can interfere with our thoughts and negatively impact how we think of ourselves and interact with others.

Continuing in the same vein, I particularly liked some of the questions Persad poses for readers to consider. In one instance, she asks, "Which scenario gives you peace and which causes feelings of anger, irritation, and resentment?" She follows the question with a reminder that the choice is ours. She also provides helpful charts to illustrate her points. One chart contrasts negatively-posed thoughts and actions with positive alternatives. The chart is divided into two columns titled "What I currently say or do..." and "Why not try this instead?" I appreciated her chart modeling virtues, as well.

On the other hand, I found some of the scenarios and suggestions Persad offered to be oversimplified, while others were slightly distorted. For instance, she asserts that when we become strong internally, we won't feel sorrow. This implies it is a weakness to experience sorrow, and I strongly disagree. To the contrary, in order to properly grieve and move forward, professional counselors teach the importance of acknowledging and expressing sorrow. In a chapter discussing ownership, Persad asks why God's fruits and vegetables are sold for profit. While I thank God daily for his provision and blessings, I also realize that farmers work hard to earn a living. God provides the rain and harvest, but He uses farmers to till the soil and plant crops.

Overall, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. While Persad provides a helpful resource for personal transformation, a few of her assertions are unfounded and inaccurate. I recommend the book to fans of poetry and readers who appreciate contemplative exercises. I would not recommend it as a definitive guide for those dealing with grief.

Transformation~Keep It Simple
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!

Katkhell
Currently Reading: You Have to Say Something
Bookshelf Size: 226

Post by Katkhell » 03 Apr 2019, 23:15

Interesting review. Full disclosure I am not big on poetry, but this collection seems to be interesting as with the charts so it’s really sounds like a great method of “sefl-help”/counseling. The review makes me consider the possibility of picking up the book as a departure from my normal reading. Thank you Cecilia_L.

Crazyreader01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazyreader01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Crazyreader01 » 04 Apr 2019, 01:43

Sounds interesting, but maybe not for me. I don't think I would agree with a lot of the things discussed and just get frustrated. Thanks for the honest and thorough review!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 32
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Vigilatus by Brenda Heller and Jimmy Adams

Post by kandscreeley » 04 Apr 2019, 07:51

Wow. A weakness to feel sorrow? Yeah, I don't agree either. Sorrow is a natural part of life. I like the idea of the poetry along with exercises, but I don't think it's a book for me. Thanks.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 22
Currently Reading: Crimson and Clover
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Smitty's Calling Card by B.R. Stateham

Post by Prisallen » 04 Apr 2019, 08:04

While I agree that our attitude affects our quality of life, I realize that we all have emotions we have to deal with, even negative ones including sorrow. Also, I grew up on a farm, so I know how hard life can be for farmers and, yes, they do need to get paid for their labor. I think this book is not for me. Thanks for the review!

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 04 Apr 2019, 09:03

Katkhell wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 23:15
Interesting review. Full disclosure I am not big on poetry, but this collection seems to be interesting as with the charts so it’s really sounds like a great method of “sefl-help”/counseling. The review makes me consider the possibility of picking up the book as a departure from my normal reading. Thank you Cecilia_L.
You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 04 Apr 2019, 09:04

kandscreeley wrote:
04 Apr 2019, 07:51
Wow. A weakness to feel sorrow? Yeah, I don't agree either. Sorrow is a natural part of life. I like the idea of the poetry along with exercises, but I don't think it's a book for me. Thanks.
Thanks for your comment.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 04 Apr 2019, 09:05

Prisallen wrote:
04 Apr 2019, 08:04
While I agree that our attitude affects our quality of life, I realize that we all have emotions we have to deal with, even negative ones including sorrow. Also, I grew up on a farm, so I know how hard life can be for farmers and, yes, they do need to get paid for their labor. I think this book is not for me. Thanks for the review!
Exactly. Thanks for sharing.

Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Democracy in America
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by Juliana_Isabella » 04 Apr 2019, 11:37

Thanks for your review. I appreciate the critical analysis of the author's suggestions and assertions.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 37
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Orope the white snake
Bookshelf Size: 220
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Scary Spring: Our Polio Fright of 1955 by C.A. Hartnell

Post by kdstrack » 04 Apr 2019, 12:05

I appreciate the author's desire to lead people to think about their reactions and to work toward strengthening virtues in our behavior. Her comments about grief and the sale of fruits and vegetables make me question her advice. I appreciate your thoughtful opinions about this book. Thanks.

Bianka Walter
2019 Reading Goal: 45
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 44
2018 Reading Goal: 40
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 127
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f**k
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Every Ghost Has Its Story by Lynda Marie Austin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Bianka Walter » 04 Apr 2019, 15:32

This sounds like self-help poetry. We should create a new sub-section :)
Wonderful review, Cecilia!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 04 Apr 2019, 21:51

Juliana_Isabella wrote:
04 Apr 2019, 11:37
Thanks for your review. I appreciate the critical analysis of the author's suggestions and assertions.
You're welcome. Thanks for your comment, Juliana.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 04 Apr 2019, 21:52

kdstrack wrote:
04 Apr 2019, 12:05
I appreciate the author's desire to lead people to think about their reactions and to work toward strengthening virtues in our behavior. Her comments about grief and the sale of fruits and vegetables make me question her advice. I appreciate your thoughtful opinions about this book. Thanks.
Thanks for your comment.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 04 Apr 2019, 21:53

Bianka Walter wrote:
04 Apr 2019, 15:32
This sounds like self-help poetry. We should create a new sub-section :)
Wonderful review, Cecilia!
Thank you, Bianka.

ButterscotchCherrie
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 28
2018 Reading Goal: 104
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 65
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: Adult Children
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterscotchcherrie.html
Latest Review: The Property Issue in the Cyprus Problem by Andreas D. Symeou
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ButterscotchCherrie » 05 Apr 2019, 05:17

I like the sound of the charts, but agree that it's not wrong to feel grief. Some things just are sad, and it's not a good spiritual practice to deny that. Of course, letting go and moving on is good, but not before feeling it.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”