Official Review: Swing Hard in Case You Hit It

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
EmunahAn
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 92
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Did Jesus Christ Drink Alcohol by Pastor Laurence Edgar

Official Review: Swing Hard in Case You Hit It

Post by EmunahAn » 30 Mar 2019, 06:01

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Swing Hard in Case You Hit It" by Tom Stevens.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Swing Hard in Case You Hit It by Tom Stevens is a fun and informative guide written for new golf players.

With forty years of experience in the game, Tom Stevens shares some of the most pivotal and comical moments he has encountered through the years. His advice mostly encompasses some of the basics that are helpful to beginners. The content goes beyond the game itself and includes other aspects such as healthy habits that anyone preparing for their first tournament should consider. Another section is dedicated to explaining the equipment and clothing a beginner may need while another emphasizes on the need for patience during the growth process. The book also explores the social side of the game and explains that playing golf brings people together regardless of their rank or status.

I liked that the author maintains a light-hearted approach when writing the book. He includes some humorous events he has witnessed during the years. The hilarious moments are interposed with some sound advice. This way, even though the book remains instructional, it is not bland and it continues to captivate throughout.

The book is brief which ensures that the content is not overwhelming especially since it is written for beginners. I liked that much of it is centered on basic elements which if considered and mastered could lead to better chances for growth for anyone interested in golf. The inclusion of the author’s experiences also adds helpful information to the already informative content. In one experience, Stevens shares how playing golf with a higher ranking officer created a friendship that may not have developed if both did not share a love for golf.

I also liked that the book includes other elements not directly related to golf such as the importance of leading a healthy lifestyle which translates to higher chances of success when playing. The author explains the type of exercises which are helpful to a golfer, important dietary habits as well as the benefit of making time for resting. He also adds further sources of information that are helpful for further reading.

However, I found the table of contents’ section to be lacking as it does not fully expound on what the book contains.

Swing Hard in Case You Hit It by Tom Stevens is well edited and I only identified a few grammatical errors. Readers who are new to the game of golf will find the information contained very helpful. However, since the content is primarily focused on the basics, experienced players may find that they are already familiar with the lessons contained and hence may not enjoy it as much. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

Swing Hard in Case You Hit It
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 32
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Vigilatus by Brenda Heller and Jimmy Adams

Post by kandscreeley » 09 Apr 2019, 14:59

I love that there's inspiration in this one as well as humorous moments. I am not a big fan of golf, but it still sounds like I could learn something from this book. Thanks for the information.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Janelle Juncos
Favorite Book: The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelle-juncos.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Janelle Juncos » 09 Apr 2019, 21:43

Thanks for the review! This isn't the type of book I'd be drawn to usually, being uninterested in golf in general. To your credit, you made it seem appealing. I can appreciate that it's a short and concise guide for beginners. It seems anymore that books that are written to be informative get bogged down in too many details. I'm curious as to what anecdotes the author includes.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 37
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Orope the white snake
Bookshelf Size: 220
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Scary Spring: Our Polio Fright of 1955 by C.A. Hartnell

Post by kdstrack » 09 Apr 2019, 23:39

I have done very little golfing, so I suppose my swings would fall under the humorous sections of the book! I do watch golf tournaments with my husband, so this book would be helpful to understand the game better. Thanks for recommending this book.

8amaseter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by 8amaseter » 11 Apr 2019, 12:37

Thanks for your review. I do not intend to play golf but the aspect of the book that caught my attention is about the virtues of life as related to playing golf.

Chrystal Oaks
2019 Reading Goal: 24
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 54
Favorite Book: The Sister Circle
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by Chrystal Oaks » 14 Apr 2019, 20:04

I have no interest learning to play golf, but it sounds like a good book to start with for anyone who does. Besides going through the basics, I like that Stevens shares some humorous side stories. Thanks for the great review!
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”