Official Review: Religion Delusion by John Carlshausen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Official Review: Religion Delusion by John Carlshausen

Post by Anthony__ »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Religion Delusion" by John Carlshausen.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

With some many crises that are happening in this twenty-first century like people killing one another, terrorism, child abuse, wars, and family breakdowns, one is forced to oppose many things that are contrary to common reasoning; especially when most of these acts are due to religious crises. John Carlshausen talks about the foolishness of religion in his book titled Religious Delusion. This book does not only question the existence of God, Heaven, and Hell but why people think absurdly.

John begins the book by looking into the happenings in our present world. The killings, the bombings, abusing of children, women oppression, and so on. The author further explains the terrorist attacks as consequences of religious crises. With all this, John described religion as absurd, ludicrous, preposterous, ridiculous or idiotic. The first twelve chapters talk about religion (believing in something that does not exist) and religious beliefs (prayer, spiritualism, soul, resurrection, and so on). The existence of God is contrary to common sense. Where does God live? How does God simultaneously answer prayers from billions of people daily? These are some logical questions that kept one thinking as you read through the book. Also, John further described religion as an illusion to confuse people that something exists. He talked about the miracles of Jesus like the raising of Lazarus from the dead, the walking on the water, and the turning of water into wine. John equally considered Moses’ miracles, Noah’s Ark, and Adam and Eve in his discussion. The remaining chapters focus on the happening in the world because of the inability of human beings to use their common sense. The existence of a medium (a person who communicates with the dead in the afterlife) to answer spiritual things are ridiculous. Also, John talked about the dietary restrictions by the religious body (Christianity, Hinduism, Islam, Buddhism etc.), dressing code, overpopulation, oppression, and terrorism as the consequences of religious deception.

Furthermore, religious people believe we are here on earth to worship and serve our creator, God. However, John gave a logical answer to why we are here on earth. You must read the book to know why. There are many anecdotes, that highlight the points the author is making in each chapter.

I admire John’s subjective mood of writing. It is very clear that he does not support the happenings in the world. It is cruel for a person to bomb an entire city, all in the name of receiving 72 virgins in Heaven. Also, I agree with John regarding reincarnation. I don’t believe people die and come back as a new person. According to John, “Everything that lives will die.” Our common sense tells us there is nothing like reincarnation.

However, John did not explain some mysteries about the universe. His arguments are logical to some extents, but that does not prove that God does not exist. I would have taken some of his advice had it been John went deeper to explain the mystery behind the creation of the universe. I believe every living thing has a source; I don’t think everything emanates from nothing. How did we human beings come to existence? Who created plants and animals? I would have loved the book more if John explained those mysteries. John says that God, Heaven or Hell does not exist, but he did not logically explain how the whole Earth come to existence. Therefore, I rate Religious Delusion 2 out of 4 stars. Had it been he proved the Earth’s existence, I would have given the book all the four stars. I believe the book is not well-researched.

Although I found a few typographical errors, it did not distract my reading interest. John believes Atheism is the answer to religious crises. Therefore, I would recommend this book to atheists. Christians or other religion may not find this book appealing.

Religion Delusion
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Anthony__'s review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Not everyone is killing thousands of people in the name of their religion. This isn't a book for me as I don't agree with the author. Thanks for the review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I agree that there has been evil perpetuated in the name of religion, but there has also been a lot of good in the name of religion. There are some truly evil people out there who are not, and never were, religious. So, therefore, I don't agree with him. I'm going to have to skip this book. Thanks for the review!
Lungz_
Favorite Book: 50 Shades of Grey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lungz.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Lungz_ »

The mere fact that his book was not well researched is a risk. Even Science is revealing that there is a bigger source. Not one painted by religion as religion has truly caused some strife and confusion here and there, but the truth stands. Whatever each may call God. God exists.
Anthony__
Currently Reading:

Post by Anthony__ »

Lungz_ wrote: 06 Apr 2019, 08:32 The mere fact that his book was not well researched is a risk. Even Science is revealing that there is a bigger source. Not one painted by religion as religion has truly caused some strife and confusion here and there, but the truth stands. Whatever each may call God. God exists.
Exactly, I guess he did not do his research very well. Thanks for the review
Anthony__
Currently Reading:

Post by Anthony__ »

kandscreeley wrote: 06 Apr 2019, 06:52 Not everyone is killing thousands of people in the name of their religion. This isn't a book for me as I don't agree with the author. Thanks for the review, though.

Thank you for stopping by. I don't agree with the author as well.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

I wonder if this book will have a large audience given that it won't appeal to religious people who don't want to question their beliefs, and it may not appeal to nonreligious people who have already made up their minds.
Dawud Adaviruku
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dawud-adaviruku.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Dawud Adaviruku »

I don't exactly concur with the idea of the author that God doesn't exists. From the review, It is very glaring that he didn't do his research well. Moreover, I'm not a fan of a religious novel so I'm skipping this over. Thanks for the great review.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Actually, many heinous acts are perpetuated by non religious people and even the bombers the author seems fond of highlighting, have twisted their religious understanding. The book sounds unnecessarily confrontational. Thanks for your review, though.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Itskai88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Itskai88 »

I definitely will not be reading this as I feel like it will create more confusion for me, since I can already tell I will not agree with most of the author’s arguments. Great review by the way.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I am curious why the author believes that we are here on earth (you really built up the suspense with that one!). I agree that not offering his explanations for the mysteries of the universe is a disappointment. Thank you for a great review! :)
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Knowing that the author has done research when writing a book is of utmost importance to me; it's disappointing to learn otherwise. I'll be giving this a pass, but thanks for the review!
InStoree
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Post by InStoree »

People do tend to stretch the religious words to the extreme, but "religion as absurd, ludicrous, preposterous, ridiculous or idiotic" sounds like a rough approach. The authour does touch some interesting topics, such as overpopulation, terrorism, or reincarnation, but again his style is displayed in an unpolished manner. So, I think I'll pass this book. However, thank you for your fabulous review!
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
IamShing
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing »

I am not sure if I am going to read this because it did not capture my heart fully. But, great review.
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Post by Fazzier »

I don't agree with the author about wholly criticizing religion for the moral decay in the society, the worst part being him questioning the existence of God. However, I might just read this book out of curiosity. Anyway, thank you for giving us this excellent overview!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”