Review by Maria153 -- The Unbound Soul

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Maria153
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria153.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Review by Maria153 -- The Unbound Soul

Post by Maria153 » 28 Mar 2019, 16:33

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Richard L. Haight’s The Unbound Soul is an autobiographical, coming of age tale. It centres on the author’s lifelong search for spiritual enlightenment, triggered by a vision he has when he is a young boy. The inspirational book would be ideal for any readers with an interest in self help. Along with the absorbing account of his life, the author provides a wealth of information on spirituality and an in-depth look at philosophy and the human psyche. For this reason those interested in theology and psychology may also find this worth a read.

Haight’s writing is enjoyable and his personal anecdotes give brevity to the ideas he explores by providing real life examples. What I liked most is the often conversational tone of the book, which makes the wealth of knowledge seem more approachable to the reader. The concepts discussed could seem quite intimidating to some, but the author’s assurance that you will understand inspires the reader’s confidence. Haight’s anecdotal accounts were imperative to my understanding of the sometimes complex ideologies explored. One criticism I could give is the intensity of the text. Some sections I had to re-examine to fully engage with them, and absorb the information. This is not a slight on the author or his style, but definitely a point to think of before reading the book. I would advise it is a book you have to give concentration to in order to fully appreciate it’s benefits. It is not a bed-time read, and warrants your full attention. If you do, I’m sure you will find it very beneficial.

I found the book to be well structured and edited. I did not notice any major issues with the text, and found it to be of quite a high quality. Most books I find, have some typographical errors, which I feel can be overlooked as long as the text is engaging. For this reason I would say that if any errors were found in the text they were minor and easily overlooked in face of the enjoyment of the book.

I am awarding the book 4 out of 4 , as I found it to be an interesting read, which leaves the reader with much food for thought. In my opinion, the sign of a good book is in the promotion of introspection within the reader and a thirst to answer the new found questions. In both of these aspects the text has succeeded, and proven itself worthy of the 4 stars .

The Unbound Soul
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Maria153's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”