Review by Chrystal Oaks -- The Unbound Soul

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Chrystal Oaks
2019 Reading Goal: 24
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 62
Favorite Book: The Sister Circle
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Review by Chrystal Oaks -- The Unbound Soul

Post by Chrystal Oaks » 27 Mar 2019, 10:51

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

After many dreams as a young child, of seeing Jesus sagging on the floor calling for help, the child finally asked, “How can I help you?” Jesus replied, “Find my bones, for they are the core of my teaching. … Find the essence of my teachings and give it back to the world. That is how you can help. Will you do this?” That young child was Richard L. Haight and thus began his spiritual journey. It’s a journey where Haight found himself in various places in the United States, as well as in Japan and in the jungles of the Amazon. In addition to Jesus, Haight explores the teachings and sayings of Buddha and Tao Te Ching. He finds a common insight among the three religious teachers.

The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment by Richard L. Haight is a spiritual guide that is divided into four sections. In the first section, Haight tells of his personal experience, which sets the mood for the following three sections. The second section goes over the guidelines which help lead the reader on their own spiritual journey. The third section covers the importance of maintaining a healthy body, and finally, the fourth section “explores the soul and spirit.”

What attracted me to this book was the story of Jesus appearing to Haight. It seems that people to whom Jesus has appeared have one thing in common, Jesus resonates a pure, powerful love that is highly compelling. I wanted to know if this was the same for Haight and was not disappointed. The phrase, “I felt that church was not the place for me,” resonated. Why wouldn’t church be a place to explore? Ironically, the one place it seemed that Haight could find the core teachings of Jesus, turned out to be a huge disappointment. He felt that church was not the place to begin his search and he explained why.

Reading The Unbound Soul has provided me with a deeper understanding of my own knowledge base. Throughout the book, many ideas or concepts, that I have read from other sources or personally experienced and pondered over, were made clear. For example, a somewhat well-known psychic explains that each individual is learning for God and that the earth is a “school of hard knocks.” Haight explains that “earth is a school and a teacher,” the training ground to help each of us to tune into our personal consciousness. Haight’s explanation made this particular concept clearer. In the New Testament of The Bible, a variation of the phrase, “be in this world, but not of it,” has always been puzzling. Haight’s explanation of the difference between mind and consciousness cleared the above phrase from The Bible.

The book is well-written and professionally edited. I thought Haight did an excellent job defining words he thought would be confusing, providing examples to simplify a complex concept, and engaging the reader to start their own spiritual journey. I found two errors, but they were corrected before I finished reading this book. The Unbound Soul is a simple, yet complex book. I would recommend it for anyone who might feel like life is unbalanced or that something is missing in his/her life. If you feel strong in your respective religious faith, I wouldn’t recommend it. Overall, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

The Unbound Soul
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Chrystal Oaks's review? Post a comment saying so!
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Kelyn
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 79
Currently Reading: Last City of America
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelyn.html
Latest Review: Seven at Two Past Five by Tara Basi
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Kelyn » 08 Apr 2019, 22:44

Books based on religion are just not a genre I generally read. I do appreciate that the author has included other religions and the ways in which they "parallel" with Christianity. I've long thought that this is a fact many simply do not even consider. Great job on the review!
Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story...Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe. (E. Cline - Ready Player One)

Chrystal Oaks
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 62
Favorite Book: The Sister Circle
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Chrystal Oaks » 16 Apr 2019, 13:19

Kelyn wrote:
08 Apr 2019, 22:44
Books based on religion are just not a genre I generally read. I do appreciate that the author has included other religions and the ways in which they "parallel" with Christianity. I've long thought that this is a fact many simply do not even consider. Great job on the review!
I agree. I was first introduced to the idea that religions have more similarities than differences when I took a college course in World Religions. It saddens me when people refuse to consider this concept; perhaps it's because they are afraid. Thank you for reading and commenting. :)
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”