Review by Enigma44 -- The Unbound Soul

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Enigma44
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enigma44.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Review by Enigma44 -- The Unbound Soul

Post by Enigma44 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Richard Haight’s The Unbound Soul is not merely an autobiographical account of his own path of spiritual awakening but also an instructional guide of how you could get there yourself. Even though Haight insists humbly that his life is not more special than anyone else’s, there is nothing ordinary about his personal history, which is magical, miraculous, and even prophetic.

This biographical book reads as fiction at times - mystical experiences, vision quests, tribal rituals, near-death moments, miracles, martial arts’ mastery, and much more. Richard Haight takes us to California, Georgia, Japan, Ecuador, as well as to inexplicable, unnameable, out-of-body, other-worldly realms. Still, his humanity grounds him when Haight shares his struggles. In our rushed, busy, stressful times, who does not relate to the loneliness and depression Haight himself has suffered? I could identify with some of the experiences Haight describes but not with their exceptionality and intensity. That’s where the biographical elements of The Unbound Soul resemble fiction to me and seem out of this world. No wonder, because Haight does share going to other realms, other galaxies.

Haight has tried to explain the inexplicable. What a mission impossible! I am satisfied, using soap to clean myself, without knowing exactly its chemical composition, why and how it works. In the same way, if I see that a technique provides results, I do not need to understand scientifically why it is so. Chapter 10 of Part 2 of The Unbound Soul is so densely metaphysical, abstract and philosophical that I wanted to skip reading it altogether. Yet, I suffered through it, even though it reminded me of my undergraduate philosophy and logic classes, which I found a pretentious, meaningless play on words. I understand why Haight would include such a transcendental chapter in an attempt to legitimize his teaching. In spite of such attempts, his writing might not appeal to skeptics, devoid followers of any religion, atheists, agnostics, and people, who are not comfortable with inexplicable events and uncertainty.

Readers, who are open to the new and the unknown, would appreciate Haight’s teaching about spirituality, the purpose of life, and how to be truly free. The Unbound Soul provides practical tools and techniques, which anybody could use to meditate and release negative feelings. Richard Haight coins new terms such as Isness, Inspirience, Warrior’s Meditation and Dance of the Self. Still, the essence of the concepts he presents is ancient wisdom. To my mind, Haight’s dynamic method of Warrior’s Meditation practice is particularly useful since it could be more realistically incorporated into a daily routine than the popular silent, seated meditation. I find his suggestions on caring for the body and mind refreshing and beneficial. The Unbound Soul’s messages of nonviolence and unconditioned love especially resonate with me.

I rate The Unbound Soul 3 out of 4.. This book is an easy read, written in an engaging conversational style. I wish one more final proofreading was carried out to polish the minor errors and complete the otherwise professional formatting of the text. Still, Haight’s noble and generous mission to share his insights and teaching is awe-inspiring. I’m taking my hat off to Richard Haight. Open your consciousness and let The Unbound Soul guide you to spiritual transformation and enlightenment!

The Unbound Soul
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Enigma44's review? Post a comment saying so!
InStoree
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Post by InStoree »

Enigma44 wrote: 25 Mar 2019, 04:28 ...the essence of the concepts he presents is ancient wisdom.
Yes, I had the same reaction when I read the book. Only the form and the names' label are different. Perhaps, wisdom has thrown arrows to us in different ways, since ancient times till these days depending on the style of a generation?

Your review is fabulous! You included all the book's aspects.
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”