Review by Anju_9 -- The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Anju_9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anju-9.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Review by Anju_9 -- The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Anju_9 » 25 Mar 2019, 03:27

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight takes you on a journey of spiritual awakening in the most bizarre ways. The book is divided into 4 parts. The first parts introduce us to some of the events that shaped the author to take the path of enlightenment and awakening. We see a glimpse of his childhood days, his struggle with his mind, and questions that disturbed him all the time. We read about how he tried to find himself, and answers to all mysteries that ran through his head, and tried to gain his attention even in his dreams. He travels to Japan in search of something that could help him find balance with his mind and soul.

The second part discusses the relationship between nature and human experiences along with processes like meditation, prayers, and methods that helped the author in tuning to his consciousness. It also tells us about some adverse effects of the methods, and how to overcome those effects. He gives examples of his experience, and we get another glimpse in his personal life.

In the third part, the author opens up about the relationship with the body, food, exercise, and elements. In this section, we read about the author discovering ways in which he could keep his mind and body healthy, and his experience with his students in Japan. He shares a few more experiences, and how ‘Isness’ provided hints to his awakening.

Part 4 sums up all the questions he faced throughout the book and provides us answer to all the queries. He specifically tells us how he found his path to his awakening, and how he came to accept it.in the end, the author provided photos of his stay in Japan and his degrees in different art forms.

There are a lot of things that I liked about this book. The first part of this book was my favorite because it gave us an insight into his life, and in some way, I was able to connect with the events that he shared. At some point in the book, I was skeptical about the author’s experience. “Is this possible?” was my thought. My suspicions faded away as I continued reading the book.

I’m not one to actively participate or show much interest in matters related to the universe and spiritual life, but this book gave me enough reason to continue reading. There are many events that the author wrote in this book about awakening and the messages he received from his soul or what he calls ‘Isness’. I had no doubt about the events because I've read about people facing changes in their lives that they called spiritual. I believed him because, at some point in our life, we all have had this experience, but we had ignored it as a coincidence. I enjoyed reading this book and learned a lot of things from it.

The author has kept his belief neutral and hasn’t given any conflicting opinion on any religion. He kept himself on the neutral ground which was likable. The chapter I liked the most was in the first part of the book, where he tells us about his experience with a type of hallucinogen found in Amazon. I liked how he openly put forth his struggle and quest to find out about himself, and the things that happened with him. He talks about his depression and anxiety, side effects he faced due to his visions and many things that kept me hooked until the end. Also, there are some events that made me laugh and lighten up, making this book more engaging and motivating.

We come across many people the author associated himself with at some point in his life, who helped him with his awakening, but this book focuses on Richard, and how he gained his harmony with his mind. I must add that this book doesn’t have any protagonist. Its sole purpose is to help us find harmony with the disturbance we face within ourselves, and how to find positivity in the most negative scenarios.

The book is professionally proofread and edited well. I liked how the author started slowly and simply, introducing us with his life experiences, and then dived into deeper subjects that he wanted us to understand. I liked the way the book was written from simple topics to details of those topics, and at last, his purpose to write the book. I liked how he spiritually grew from a child aged 8 with no purpose in life, and a mind full of the questions to a man who is calm, and now helps people to find themselves. There was nothing that I didn’t like in this book.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The Unbound Soul has matters that readers of young age may or may not understand. So, it’s up to you if you want to read it or not, although I'd recommend this book to readers of age above 18 because they will understand this book better than younger readers. Our mind is conflicting in our teenage years, and this book can definitely help us in many ways, especially a teenage mind. I also recommend this book to readers who love to read about spiritual events and non-fiction. It is a book that introduces to a universe beyond our imagination, and you definitely don’t want to miss it.

The Unbound Soul
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Anju_9's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”