Review by Bluebird03 -- Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Review by Bluebird03 -- Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Bluebird03 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Beneath the Muscle" by Lauren Powers.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As the author remembers her childhood, she writes of being bullied and ostracized in school, as well as in sports, because she was unable to see well. When she received her first pair of glasses, her grades improved; however, she was then nicknamed “four-eyes”. True to Lauren’s philosophy that “a well-lived life is the best response to naysayers”, she proceeded to blaze her own authentic and quite unique trail.

Lauren also highlights her eclectic collection of careers that includes yoga instructor, surfing teacher, event planner and firefighter (just to name a few). Then, one week shy of forty, Lauren embraced her new and defining role as a bodybuilder. She introduces the reader to her world of bodybuilding events and the celebrities she met along the way. This book also includes numerous photographs that document these events and celebrity affiliations.

Some of the lessons Lauren shares, in Beneath the Muscle, include channeling negative experiences positively, becoming aware of the power of your words, following through on what you say you will do and establishing harmony in your life. Additionally, she includes her free downloadable Inner Champion Workbook, with exercises designed to complement each chapter of her book.

I am pleased to award Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers 4 out of 4 stars. It was exceptionally well edited, as I only found a couple of very minor errors. Also, Lauren’s story moves at the perfect pace to allow the reader to absorb the fascinating details of her life and career path.

I like that Lauren acknowledges the constant support of her family members and credits many of them as being role models for her. Also, I admire that she openly discusses being bullied and her battles with alcohol and drugs. In fact, her honesty is what makes her story so engaging. Most readers should find Lauren to be a person they can easily relate to.

Personally, I found nothing that I disliked about this book. A few readers may interpret her long list of impressive accomplishments as boasting, and be turned off by her story. Instead, I see her “larger than life” personality as a neon billboard advertising how to overcome challenges in life and excel at what you absolutely love to do.

This inspiring book should appeal to anyone who was bullied as a child and wants to put that memory behind them. It should also appeal to those who detest the “nine-to-five” job and prefer to experience several varied careers. Additionally, anyone interested in self-improvement will find a plethora of useful tips in this book.

There were some references to alcohol and drug abuse that might offend a few readers; but, these were not central themes of the book. I only mention this because some readers, with a family member or friend with addictions, often elect to pass on reading books with this content. However, I do think it is important to note that Lauren overcame these struggles and now celebrates twenty-four years of sobriety. Her success story should be an inspiration to all readers.

Beneath the Muscle
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Bluebird03's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Post by Kristin Ransome »

Woah it's hard to believe how many different jobs she's had and what she's had to overcome! This sounds like it would be good for anyone struggling with what they want to do in the future :) Thanks for your review!
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

Firefawkes wrote: 29 Mar 2019, 11:38 Woah it's hard to believe how many different jobs she's had and what she's had to overcome! This sounds like it would be good for anyone struggling with what they want to do in the future :) Thanks for your review!
I couldn't agree more. Thank you for your comments! :)
Hayley2-0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hayley2-0.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Hayley2-0 »

Lauren Power's story is very empowering being looked down upon at one point in our lives doesn't mean we're what people say we are.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

Hayley2-0 wrote: 08 Apr 2019, 09:06 Lauren Power's story is very empowering being looked down upon at one point in our lives doesn't mean we're what people say we are.
Very wise words, Hayley. Yes, I am glad she was able to overcome the bullies and shine as she does. Thank you so much for commenting! :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”