Review by sursangeet_2000 -- The Unbound Soul

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
sursangeet_2000
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sursangeet-2000.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Review by sursangeet_2000 -- The Unbound Soul

Post by sursangeet_2000 » 24 Mar 2019, 08:30

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I was drawn to read the book, The Unbound Soul, by Richard L. Haight. I'm the kind of person who believes that everything in life is pre-planned and happens at a time that is right for us. I consider myself to be a spiritual person and I always pay close attention to my inner voice and the direction in which it takes me. And this time my voice took me straight to this book.

The book starts with a glimpse in to the author's personal life. You get the feeling of reading a fictional, fantasy story when you read what happened to him and how he was drawn in to the life of meditation and inner calm. Just like everyone else mentions about the book, if you do not keep an open mind, you might just stop reading through the book. However, the author himself says it time and again in the book, to treat his experiences as just that ... a personal experience of just one person. What happened to him, and what he got out of that experience may not make sense to us, probably because it was not intended for us. It becomes clear to us that we are all headed in to our own exclusive path.

The authors meditation exercises seem very hard to practice. But that can be said about anything new that is introduced to us. It always seems hard in the beginning, but eventually as you begin to put the efforts into it, we start getting better at doing things. That is the advice I give my son when he is introduced to a new math concept at school, and that is the advice I would give myself or anyone else who wants to set off in this path. We cannot decide something is hard unless we have put the required amount of effort and practice in following it.

The book definitely had me re- thinking about all my personal beliefs. For example, the author questions the practice of sticking to a certain kind of diet, like being a vegetarian. He believes that when it comes to our eating choices, we need to be a lot flexible and provide our body the required nutrition, based on where we live. For example, he claims that some types of insects have more nutrition than just the plant sources. Now, one of the reasons, I'm a vegetarian is because I try not to harm any living creature, as much as it is humanly possible. However, the author's belief that there might come a time when resources might be scarce and that we might not have the luxury to decide what to consume and what to avoid, definitely had me wondering and debating my attitude about food. I'm still a vegetarian, but the author doesn't appear to be wrong either.

What I liked most about this book is that it makes you think and then think some more about your own attitudes, preferences and life choices. I may not have agreed with everything that the author stated and believed, but he definitely got me revisiting many of my thoughts about spirituality. I have started paying closer attention to what I'm thinking and feeling at any particular moment. Some call it god, and the author calls it "isness", a feeling of nothing and yet everything that consumes our every being. I have to agree with the author that each of us has experienced that feeling at some point or another, but we just happen to call it by a different name.

The Unbound Soul is a book to be revisited over a period of time. The book appears to have been professionally edited and I would definitely give it a four out of four stars. I would recommend this book to anyone who is intrigued by the concept of spirituality. Your interest level in the book will depend on how you take his experiences, but at a minimum, it gives you a glimpse into yet another interesting perspective.

The Unbound Soul
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like sursangeet_2000's review? Post a comment saying so!

Cotwani
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 16
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 186
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: EN by Michelle Reynoso

Post by Cotwani » 26 Apr 2019, 06:53

Sonehow, the book just didn't appeal to me. Your review has provided an interesting perspective. I like your take on the 'isness.' I also like that the author views his experiences as personal and unique to him. Some authors are not that understanding.

Thanks for this thought-provoking review.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Latest Review: EN by Michelle Reynoso

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”