Review by Misael -- The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Misael
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Review by Misael -- The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Misael » 23 Mar 2019, 19:16

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Narrated in the first person, The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight starts with the author as an eight-year old child. He dreams of Jesus asking him for help, and his last has him asking Jesus on how he could help. The answer marks the beginning of his lifelong quest for the bones of Jesus which are the core of His teaching. In spite of his reading disorder, Richard studies the Bible but finds no answer. He experiences a vision of his future, but young as he is, he is confused and clueless about how to get there. As a young man, trusting and basically with no friends, he errs in decision-making which makes him suffer a silent depression and almost kills himself during a martial arts training. Something spiritual saves him from a planned suicide, and this marks the extraordinary happenings in his life. His restlessness drives him to different countries and mentors, each providing realization throughout his life. The road is uneasy, but Haight determinedly pushes onwards to the path of spiritual unfoldment. The Unbound Soul is a journey of a man as he doubts himself, finds himself and be what Jesus wants him to be.

What I liked about The Unbound Soul was the way Richard Haight narrated the first part of the book. It was like a smooth glide page after page; he used simple and yet profound sentences. It was easy to read and engaging, with each chapter communicating different lessons. It also is an adventure book; the descriptions of places made me feel like I was with him because his narratives made these places easy to visualize. His restlessness can be felt as he takes the reader to various locations around the world.

The book reiterates what are important in life other than the material things. Failure should not hinder one's progress; instead, it should motivate one to stand up and move forward. This and a lot more were imparted by Haight. What stuck to my mind was the author's promise to his self that he would take the time to notice simple beauty every day. That being said, the book was written with positivity and this was imparted clearly.

The novel was divided into several parts, and this made the book organized. Doing so made it possible to facilitate more understanding of what Haight wanted to express. The terms and methods he used in the succeeding parts were explained in detailed manner. I made many backtracking when the discussion turned really deep and technical; it was good he cautioned the readers to go easy in reading, to take a pause and then carry on. Haight did not demand the readers to follow him; that was not what I felt when I read the book. On the contrary, he only made me feel and realize things I already know but choose to ignore. Truth be told, when I reached the second part, I became sceptical but after a while, I believe he meant well and many statements made sense. There are parts that I feel were unrealistic, and some parts went against my beliefs, but an open mind was crucial to understand where he was coming from. There were moments when I smiled or my eyes widened because I was able to relate.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars for the following reasons: although some parts of the book may be difficult to understand completely, I observed it was written meticulously, researched exhaustively and the author presented his book in an organized and manageable way; it is very informative and gives applications and examples for better absorption, and apparently, professional proofreading was conducted because although there were grammatical errors, these were minimal and insignificant. The missing commas did not in any way distract the reader.

If you are into spiritual and deep thinking, then The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight is for you. However, if you prefer easy and light fiction stories, you should look elsewhere.

The Unbound Soul
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Misael's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”