Official Review: Lost Memories and New Beginnings

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: Lost Memories and New Beginnings

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lost Memories and New Beginnings" by Shlomo Liberman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Growing up in Borås, a small town in south-western Sweden, Shlomo Liberman could only imagine what his parents went through during the Holocaust. Both were survivors and the events surrounding their heart-breaking experiences were only whispered in their home. Like many other survivors, Wolf and Gela Liberman chose to forget, never again willing to retrieve the agonizing memories. While studying in Israel, Shlomo Liberman was encouraged to write about his parents’ accounts during World War II. The result is a painful but moving revelation of the resilience of his parents who even after their harrowing and traumatic experiences were able to rebuild their lives and start a family.

I loved reading Lost Memories and New Beginnings by Shlomo Liberman as it reminds of the tragic experiences of Holocaust survivors. Their accounts need to be written and retold so as to ensure such an event never reoccurs. Every time I read a story connected to the disturbing occurrences of WWII, there is always something new to learn and such was the case when I was reading Lost Memories and New Beginnings. Both Wolf and Gela lost many of their relatives during this time and Wolf was days away from death resulting from starvation when they were liberated.

The narration is complemented by photos that help in explaining the accounts further as they give a glimpse of the circumstances during the war. One photo captures the entrance of the Lodz Ghetto which was established by Nazi Germans. As explained in the book, the inhabitants were later transported to Auschwitz and other extermination camps. Another photo shows Chaim Rumkowski holding a public speech. It reminds of his infamous speech that he delivered, out of coercion from the Nazi German authorities.

I also liked that the story traces the lives of the main characters after the war and how each struggled to move forward from their horrific past and start living in a new country. Even after liberation, most survivors had to struggle to find a job and it was not until later that Wolf and Gela were granted permanent residency in Sweden. The unauthorized movement to particular places was also banned and they were required to settle in specific parts of the country. Still, they were determined not to allow Hitler’s vision of the Jews to prevail. A community was formed in their new hometown to educate other generations of their Jewish heritage including their cuisine, customs, and values.

Lost Memories and New Beginnings by Shlomo Liberman is well edited and I did not spot any errors. I also did not identify any aspects of it that I did not like. I only wish the book was longer. Readers interested in reading the accounts of Holocaust survivors will love reading the book. It may not appeal to readers who are not attracted to historical content. I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars.

Lost Memories and New Beginnings
View: on Bookshelves

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
IamShing
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing »

I am touched by the review..Sounds like a tough life.
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

You know it's a winner when all you ask is for more of the story! Great review!
Spencer Mack
cat51570
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cat51570.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by cat51570 »

We need books to remind us of history, especially when that history should never be repeated. I am always in awe of Holocaust survivors and their ability to live a normal life after the horrors that they lived through. Your review makes me want to read this one.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I can understand never wanting to relive those horrible memories. At the same time, though, I think we need to listen to the past. Otherwise, we'll never learn from it. We certainly don't want that to happen again. It sounds like a powerful book worth reading. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The Liberman's story reminds many of a time they would like to forget and that some deny. It is important that these historical events and how they affected the population be heard. I enjoyed your sensitive and moving review.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

Overcoming what they suffered during WWII would have been extremely hard to do. I'm glad they prevailed and passed on their story to be told to us. Good review!
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

Thanks for the review. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed this book. I think it's always best to learn about tragedies like the Holocaust from the victims.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”