Review by Anthony__ -- The Unbound Soul

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Anthony__
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 220
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Review by Anthony__ -- The Unbound Soul

Post by Anthony__ » 21 Mar 2019, 16:48

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight is a memoir of a young boy who dedicates his life to spiritual awakening. In this book, the author draws his inspiration from Christianity, Tao, and Buddhism for his philosophy, all of which he has experienced, and this is what makes this book a lot more authentic. He grew up on a horse ranch in Southern California. As a young boy, his mind was frightened with the teaching that he would burn in hell if he doesn’t spread the gospel. This teaching by Mrs. Pacetti was the stepping stone to the author’s spiritual journey after his encounter with Jesus.

The book falls into four parts, chronologically arranged. Each chapter flows into each part with intriguing titles and subheadings. The first part of this book is about the author’s history, his journey, and how he came to the point he is currently. Also, he prepared the reader for what to face in the later chapters through his life experience. His classes as a medium (someone who speaks with the spirit in the afterlife) and test in the karate school were very informative. In the second part, he details the meditation practices he came up with and explains how and why they work so well. He provided answers to frequently asked questions. I enjoyed the third part of this book. In chapter 17, the author talks about caring for the physical body. I have been trying to live a physically active healthy lifestyle. The information Richard provided in the chapter was very helpful to me. Also, Richard talked about caring for the mind in chapter 18. He advised the reader to remain calm when observing people or experiencing tough times, so as not to get caught up in emotional trauma. Finally, part four discusses the soul and spirit, what they represent, and the difference between them.

I admire Richard's in-depth knowledge through his experiences. The book is very easy to understand. I appreciate the way the author encouraged readers to approach reading this book with a logical mind in a safe space. The author was polite and mindful of his words so as not to confuse readers or disrespect any religion or believes. There were so many things I liked about this book. It is informative and inspiring. There is something packed for every reader to adopt in the cause of perusing the book.

Although there was nothing I disliked about this book, there were a few things I did not agree with or understand. The author believes in reincarnation and afterlife. I do not agree with this opinion. When he talked about driving without sleep for three days, all I could think about was the risk involved. I would not advise anyone to undertake this. Moreover, I did not quite discern the author’s purpose for undertaking this. However, the author explained it in the latter part of the book, but it did not go well with me.

Notwithstanding, the book is professionally edited. I found only one unnecessary comma in one of the pages. The cover page is attractive, and the teachings are practical. Thereby, making it enthral to seekers of spiritual self-discovery. Richard made sure there is always something of value for every reader. For these reasons, I rate The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight a 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend this book to anyone on a path to a spiritual self-discovery or awakening as the author likes to call it. Though there are some aspects of this book that will benefit everyone, I still would not recommend to people who are devoted to Christian religions. Therefore, I end with Richards saying, “Ultimately, it is up to you, the reader, to prove these teachings true or false through your life.”

The Unbound Soul
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Anthony__'s review? Post a comment saying so!

Itskai88
2019 Reading Goal: 61
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 18
2018 Reading Goal: 88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Itskai88 » 25 Mar 2019, 15:18

A book that touch spirituality on almost all levels and written in an impressive way sounds great. I know I might not agree with all that is said but I think it is worth a try. Thanks for the captivating review.

daviddawud
2019 Reading Goal: 35
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 14
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daviddawud.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by daviddawud » 25 Mar 2019, 15:50

I would love to read such an impressive book like this. I cherish it when authors have an extensive practical knowledge and experiences about what they write. I can't wait to read the part that talks about living an active healthy lifestyle. Great review.

Anthony__
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 220
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Anthony__ » 26 Mar 2019, 18:03

daviddawud wrote: ↑
25 Mar 2019, 15:50
I would love to read such an impressive book like this. I cherish it when authors have an extensive practical knowledge and experiences about what they write. I can't wait to read the part that talks about living an active healthy lifestyle. Great review.
Thank you for stopping by

promise10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73

Post by promise10 » 28 Mar 2019, 17:40

From practical teachings to life lessons, this book is packed and a lot of people will enjoy it regardless of what their background is. Thanks for the well written review.

Helen91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen91.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Helen91 » 20 Apr 2019, 04:06

I like that the author was objective and did not try to force down his opinion on the readers. Nice review

Feyisayo akande
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Feyisayo akande » 30 Apr 2019, 11:37

The book will be good for everyone to read because it touches most aspect of life, either spiritual or not. Thanks for the wonderful review

Helena91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Helena91 » 12 May 2019, 16:23

The author authenticity is definitely something to applaud. He didn't just download a set of unverified theories for his readers to read but he shared his own life experiences with his audience. Nice review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”