Review by Jimi Adewole -- The Chauvinist"so Guide t...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jimi Adewole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimi-adewole.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Review by Jimi Adewole -- The Chauvinist"so Guide t...

Post by Jimi Adewole »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Chauvinist"so Guide to Modern Romance" by Morris Rollins.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Chauvinist’s Guide to Modern Romance is just what it says it is: a chauvinist’s very brief and over simplified guide to sexual exploits and conquests with today’s woman. It sets off every stereotype alarm about men and women in new heights of narrow-minded bigotry in a manner that is baffling yet formidable, suggesting that Morris Rollins (pen name) knows his stuff, even if you could never publicly admit to agreeing with his views.

The Chauvinist’s Guide to Modern Romance, Morris Rollins provides a discourse on Woman as the director of mankind’s achievements, the most civilising factor in history and both the instigator as well as defender of modern day ethics, morals and social functions. To him, Man is the frank opposite, being the ultimate predator in nature and a natural lover of violence. Unfortunately, modern society morphed so rapidly into what it is that Man’s roles (but certainly not his adapted abilities) have changed. This happened so precipitously that the present day man is out of place in this world of feminist design. Man needs Woman in a sexual way. But he controls none of the resources that he used to which enabled him to take Woman as he chose. Woman now controls those resources. The result is that the average man is a social eunuch.

Mr. Rollins predicts an end to all of the typical freedoms of Man within the 21st century. Fortunately for the chauvinist man, several opportunities still remain for him to take advantage of Woman’s needs and desires to achieve coitus in quality and quantity. The book proceeds to provide the means to identify such opportunities in short order.

I very much liked the biting humour and worldly-wise grandiloquence obtainable throughout The Chauvinist’s Guide to Modern Romance. There will be those that will treat the book as a treatise on offensive male chauvinism. But if one took a step back and took the book less seriously, it quickly transforms into relatable comedic content from which neither men, women nor the author are safe.

Unfortunately, the very things that author identifies as obstacles to Man’s goal of sexual liberty are things I consider desirable advancements in our collective social evolution. I am certain that most readers will agree with me. Even for laughs, it is in bad taste to disparage these points of progress. I could not condone this.

The Chauvinist’s Guide to Modern Romance is a very short read. I believe I went through the entire book in no more than thirty minutes. The presence of several pictures and caricatures intended to illustrate Mr. Rollins’ points further contracts the length of the actual text. Perhaps, the potential for offense is why the author elected to keep it so brief. Also, it seemed professionally edited and there were no grammatical or typographical mistakes I could identify.

I do not think Morris Rollins meant for himself or his book to be taken seriously. In several instances, the reader is reminded that the slapstick knowledge provided in the book is not exactly reliable. The language in The Chauvinist’s Guide to Modern Romance is simple and easy to understand. Its topic is apparently rather lewd, but Mr. Rollins achieves his descriptions in the least obscene manner possible. However, his language will certainly give cause for offence because the generalist methodology and approval of several strait-jacket stereotypes for classifying both men and women and their respective approaches to sexual, romantic and financial desire will win him few friends in today’s politically correct world. But it would be very hard not to find an abundance of humour, if caustic in Mr. Rollins’ writings.

This book will definitely call out to its target audience as the title is nothing if not obvious. I would recommend it for anyone that can laugh about stereotypes, chauvinism, feminism and social displacement. While it includes a section for teenagers, it is hard not to think of the overall subject matter as unsuitable for children. As a comedy, I feel The Chauvinist’s Guide to Modern Romance is fully deserving of praise. As anything else, the author might need social adjustment therapy. But don’t we all? I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

The Chauvinist"so Guide to Modern Romance
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like Jimi Adewole's review? Post a comment saying so!
Experience is a harsh tutor for she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards. - Vernon Law

You might as well read about it in a book.
Ana Megrelishvili
Favorite Book: Don Quixote
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-megrelishvili.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Ana Megrelishvili »

First of all, I appreciate your point of view. I love how you provide arguments to explain why you gave this book an excellent rating. The ending of your review is also quite catchy. I really enjoyed reading it. Thanks.
Also, I want to say, that as a girl, I found this book really offensive. I think most women will share my opinion. Also, I don't think that any suggestions from the author will be effective in real life. There were many, many things I disliked about this book. Those are just a few of them.
Jimi Adewole
Currently Reading:

Post by Jimi Adewole »

Ana Megrelishvili wrote: 06 Apr 2019, 16:19 First of all, I appreciate your point of view. I love how you provide arguments to explain why you gave this book an excellent rating. The ending of your review is also quite catchy. I really enjoyed reading it. Thanks.
Also, I want to say, that as a girl, I found this book really offensive. I think most women will share my opinion. Also, I don't think that any suggestions from the author will be effective in real life. There were many, many things I disliked about this book. Those are just a few of them.
Hi Ana,
There is little that evinces quite the same feeling as intelligent feedback. You write just like the kind of person I'd enjoy arguing with just for the sake of arguments because we're both smart, both striving to be empathetic and both willing to admit that our knowledge is incomplete.

I would have preferred to give the book a poor rating because of the several reasons i have already outlined and the fact that it's advice is generally faulty. But I couldn't help feeling that wouldn't be fair to the author who had already amused me greatly or to the small section of audience that would enjoy the book.

To balance that, I tried to be as candid about its faults as I was able and to make the rating as personal as possible because I recognise that my ability to appreciate humour in the book is owed mostly to the fact that I am male living in a man's world. I hope that latter changes, but slow enough that i can consciously be part of that change rather than an inadvertent obstacle.

I truly enjoyed hearing your feedback. And you can be certain that I will spend time going over your thoughts on other books as meet our mutual tastes. Let's have conversations about those instead.
Experience is a harsh tutor for she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards. - Vernon Law

Ana Megrelishvili
Favorite Book: Don Quixote
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-megrelishvili.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Ana Megrelishvili »

Jimi Adewole wrote: 08 Apr 2019, 14:48
Ana Megrelishvili wrote: 06 Apr 2019, 16:19 First of all, I appreciate your point of view. I love how you provide arguments to explain why you gave this book an excellent rating. The ending of your review is also quite catchy. I really enjoyed reading it. Thanks.
Hi Ana,
There is little that evinces quite the same feeling as intelligent feedback. You write just like the kind of person I'd enjoy arguing with just for the sake of arguments because we're both smart, both striving to be empathetic and both willing to admit that our knowledge is incomplete.

I would have preferred to give the book a poor rating because of the several reasons i have already outlined and the fact that it's advice is generally faulty. But I couldn't help feeling that wouldn't be fair to the author who had already amused me greatly or to the small section of audience that would enjoy the book.

To balance that, I tried to be as candid about its faults as I was able and to make the rating as personal as possible because I recognise that my ability to appreciate humour in the book is owed mostly to the fact that I am male living in a man's world. I hope that latter changes, but slow enough that i can consciously be part of that change rather than an inadvertent obstacle.

I truly enjoyed hearing your feedback. And you can be certain that I will spend time going over your thoughts on other books as meet our mutual tastes. Let's have conversations about those instead.
Haha... You made me blush. Thanks, for such an insightful reply.
chiefsimplex
Currently Reading: A Second, Less Capable Head
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiefsimplex.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by chiefsimplex »

Your review is really thorough. The ideas sound interesting ,if one chooses to be objective enough. I like the fact that the author had the sense to season his ideas with humor, indeed these grounds are to be trodden with care.Thanks for sharing.
“So many books, so little time.”
― Frank Zappa
Jimi Adewole
Currently Reading:

Post by Jimi Adewole »

chiefsimplex wrote: 09 Apr 2019, 06:13 Your review is really thorough. The ideas sound interesting ,if one chooses to be objective enough. I like the fact that the author had the sense to season his ideas with humor, indeed these grounds are to be trodden with care.Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for your response. I think if you believe Ana says up there, maybe only us guys can see the humour. I'm glad we can. But what does that say about us?

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”