Review by Kimberly Grow -- The Unbound Soul

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Kimberly Grow
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimberly-grow.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Review by Kimberly Grow -- The Unbound Soul

Post by Kimberly Grow » 18 Mar 2019, 02:50

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight is a non-fiction guide to help the reader learn to lead a more enlightened life. Mr. Haight has been well trained in the martial arts, as well as, the art of meditation that brings about a spiritual transformation if one is open-minded enough to follow through with the instruction.

This author speaks openly about his journey to enlightenment in the first part of the book, having had his first vision of a veritable young age from which he then dedicated his life to trying to decipher that vision in addition to the numerous other visions that came later. Consequently, he followed this path as it took him to Japan, the Amazon Rainforest, and much of the United States; learning all the while.

Continuing with the second part of this book, it is dedicated to learning the foundation of seeking awareness through meditation plus other devices that all lead to spiritual awakening. Part three tells the reader how to stay healthy while on their path. Everything from nutrition to psyche is laid out in a way that will help the reader become more in tune with their body which will help them to move away from mindfulness. Furthermore, the last section of the book speaks of how to protect the soul along with the spirit from harm throughout the process.

To be truthful, the choice to read this book came about as the result of an idle curiosity in the philosophy of total enlightenment. Not prescribing to any type of organized, or unorganized religion, although, openly committed to learning about all religions along with alternate philosophies in order to become a more well-rounded person. Expecting not to have any kind of reaction to the book other than to fill that need for knowledge, it turns out my experience while reading was to have what can only be explained as a spiritual phenomenon. At one point while reading, having become very engrossed in the method of meditation the author teaches, found that my mind had gone blank, then when snapped out of it, found myself to be dizzy as well as nauseous. Even so, my belief is that coincidence had brought on these feelings.

Accordingly, the people who will find this book the most useful are those who are looking to start on a journey toward enlightenment or those that have already begun their journey but want to learn a different technique. Though, I must recommend this book to anyone who wants to approach the philosophy with an open mind to let yourself become immersed in the writing.

I award this book 4 out of 4 stars. The book has been well edited. I found no grammatical or spelling errors. Nevertheless, the only problem found with the book is that it tends to be rather redundant in its approach at times. However, I found that it was easy enough to overlook this slight annoyance considering the book is authentically written in addition to being quite interesting.

The Unbound Soul
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kimberly Grow's review? Post a comment saying so!
"If you don't see the book you want on the shelf, write it." -Beverly Cleary :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”