Review by Bookreviewer19_ke -- The Unbound Soul

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Bookreviewer19_ke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewer19-ke.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Review by Bookreviewer19_ke -- The Unbound Soul

Post by Bookreviewer19_ke » 16 Mar 2019, 23:57

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The unbound soul by Richard L. Haight is a spiritual literature full of practical spiritual teaching. The writer prides in not just offering useful principles of living, but in living those principles. Based on the writer’s knowledge in meditation techniques, martial arts, and a training method known as ‘Shinkado’, he hopes to lead the writer into a spiritual awakening process that is enlightening. One of the writer’s objectives is to help the reader realize the difference between consciousness and mind. To achieve liberation, the reader has to choose consciousness over the mind for the mind is, according to the author, the source of suffering. The question that begs at this point is how is the mind the source of all suffering? If I gave the answer to this question, I would risk getting into spoilers.

The book is divided into four broad parts. The first part is about the writer’s personal story as a young boy. The writer shares how he had reading difficulties, how he encountered Jesus in dreams at a young age. He concludes the first part by sharing a dream in which he was instructed by Jesus to ‘find my bones’. The second part lays the foundation of the writer’s teaching in the book. The third part is dedicated to teaching the reader ways to maintain a healthy mind and body during the spiritual awakening process. The fourth part concludes by helping the reader identify the pit falls that could keep one from achieving spiritual freedom.

That the writer lives the very principles he teaches, was commendable to me. This demonstrated the writer’s sincerity and the practicality of implementing his teaching in person’s life. The writer has beautifully woven his daily spiritual practice into a tapestry of a spiritual literature that is not only engaging, but humorous. I liked his zeal to learn how to read despite him having reading difficulties. The only weak point I found in the book was on how the author learned to read the bible. I hoped the writer would share more on his experience in reading the bible for himself after he overcame his reading difficulties. I felt that this was an area that needed a bit more information than was given in the book.

Of the many conversations in the book, the one that stood out for me was the one between the author and his father. His father said to him “if you really want to know the truth about God, then you must be very honest, keep an open mind and keep searching” From this conversation, it is important for me to caution potential readers that to get the most out of this book, it is good to read it with an open mind. Due to the spiritual nature of the book, readers should also consider adopting a calm environment before engaging with the book. I recommend it to people who fancy spiritual literature and who are keen on learning techniques for spiritual awakening.

I found it rather impressive that this being a self published book, it is free of grammatical errors. This made my navigation easy and enjoyable. The chapters were well developed. While I do not agree with some of the author’s views, I was impressed by the level of his knowledge in meditation techniques and his passion to teach the principles of spiritual awakening. This passion is demonstrated by his decision to travel to Japan then to the Amazon to learn what he teaches. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

The Unbound Soul
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Bookreviewer19_ke's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”