Official Review: Smart Ass by Margaret Winslow

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
LV2R
2019 Reading Goal: 75
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 33
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 150
Favorite Book: And Then I Met Margaret
Currently Reading: Among Us
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Smart Ass by Margaret Winslow

Official Review: Smart Ass by Margaret Winslow

Post by LV2R » 12 Mar 2019, 08:56

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Smart Ass" by Margaret Winslow.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

At first, the title Smart Ass did not attract me to read the book, but after a second look at the cover, it was a picture of a white donkey. I changed my mind and thought that Margaret Winslow might just be funny in describing a real “smart ass” and not a person.

I was not disappointed with the story of Caleb, a large white donkey that the author, Winslow, bought when she was 50 years old. The story tells of Winslow’s long three-year battle of trying to get Caleb trained to be able to control and ride him. The struggles she went through with Caleb reflected some of her own struggles from being a geology professor at an urban university and of her own personality.

Some of the “donkey whisperers” and horse trainers were vividly described, as I could visualize them, hear their conversations, and was aware of their personalities. The frustrations of Winslow were very believable. She wanted a pet to share all her thoughts with, but she was not even able to ride Caleb safely.

Caleb’s personality, behavior, and natural instincts, as a donkey, were all very realistic, educational, and funny. The author wrote in such a way as to make me feel sympathy, fear, and friendship with a donkey, as Caleb went through some dangerous and unfriendly situations.

I enjoyed the humor of training a donkey and of the tidbits of information about donkeys I picked up along the way when reading this book. I chuckled and laughed throughout the book and thought it was light-hearted. Yet, there were some deeper meanings that I got out of Caleb and Winslow’s relationship.

I liked the parts of the book when Caleb entered some contests. It made me think, “That is crazy!” Another funny episode had something to do with a bicycle. I especially liked how the author finally came to an understanding of herself and of Caleb. You will need to read the book to find out how that was accomplished.

I rate Smart Ass by Margaret Winslow 4 out of 4 stars. The book was entertaining and thought-provoking to compare a donkey’s behavior and nature to that of the author and of humans in general. The book was edited extremely well, as I did not notice any errors in grammar, spelling, or punctuation. There wasn’t anything that I did not like about the book.

People interested in donkeys and want to read something light-hearted and humorous would find this account of Caleb from the author’s perspective to be worth reading. If you are an animal lover, you may need to consider having a donkey … or not!

Smart Ass
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like LV2R's review? Post a comment saying so!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 26
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Channeler by William H Kline IV

Post by kandscreeley » 14 Mar 2019, 08:15

How cute! A story of an actual "smart ass". Caleb the donkey sounds wonderful; I would love to read more about him and the author. Thanks so much. I'll put thison my list; it sounds like a fairly simple read.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

InStoree
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 55
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: Insectual by Barbara Sala

Post by InStoree » 14 Mar 2019, 10:32

Indeed, the book's cover is hilarious. To control and ride a donkey? :lol: I guess their stubbornness was out of the discussion, right? Caleb personalities remind me of my past dog that he didn't listen to me, he used to ignore all my commands, the sparkle in his eyes express nothing but indifference to me. And not because he was stupid, but because he had a firm grounded personality. I loved his independence and his strength of not allowing human species to change him. Great review, LV2R!
'You just have to Trust Your Own Madness' - Clive Barker :tiphat:

Jessacardinal
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
2018 Reading Goal: 40
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Jessacardinal » 14 Mar 2019, 12:34

Oh my goodness! I love animals. I have two dogs and I just brought home six chickens. I think I would be in trouble if I added a donkey to the mix! :lol: This doesn't seem like something I would normally read, but I am intrigued by all the humorous situations you mention in your review. Thank you for the recommendation!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham

janelwhite
2019 Reading Goal: 22
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 18
Currently Reading: The Sparrow
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelwhite.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter
Reading Device: B00C5W16B8

Post by janelwhite » 14 Mar 2019, 17:11

I saw the cover and immediately wanted to read this! I knew exactly what it was about when I read the title! It’s perfect! I have trained horses in the past so I immediately had visions of all that can go wrong, and how great the accomplishments feel when something goes right. I already feel connected. Can’t wait to read this book!

chewy4uto
2019 Reading Goal: 15
Currently Reading: Betrayal of Justice
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chewy4uto.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by chewy4uto » 14 Mar 2019, 22:25

Looks like a cute book! I love reading your review. I will have to add to my library collection. I enjoy a good animal book now and then. This one looks especially cute with a goat trying to be trained to ride.

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Eyes of the Predator: by Glenn Trust

Post by Prisallen » 14 Mar 2019, 22:57

This has the makings of a very funny book and we can all use a good laugh now and then. It was interesting how the author came to an understanding about their relationship. I will need to add this to my list of books I would like to read. Thanks for the review!

DogoMulla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dogomulla.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by DogoMulla » 15 Mar 2019, 18:05

Laughter is surely medicine, but I'm not sure about the pet. Smart Ass is certainly unique. I wouldn't mind me some new concepts and insights. Well-done review!

Muhammad Ibn Isah
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's War
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Muhammad Ibn Isah » 18 Mar 2019, 09:16

The cover actually got my attention, i have this notion that ' lead a donkey down a path a hundred times and it would still miss its path'. seems like a funny write up though.

Eva Darrington
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 52
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-darrington.html
Latest Review: My Rabbit in the Moon by Mandy Mazure

Post by Eva Darrington » 19 Mar 2019, 17:23

Oh, this sounds so sweet. When I was a kid, we kept two mules that my father rode with a group he belonged to. They were so gentle and trustworthy - but also stubborn like donkeys. I think I would enjoy this book. Thanks for the fun review.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. -Scott Adams

Crazyreader01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazyreader01.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by Crazyreader01 » 20 Mar 2019, 14:32

I think that we humans have a lot to learn from animals and I feel like this story highlights that fact, albeit in a humorous manner. I like it!
Thanks for the review. :tiphat:

Cotwani
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by Cotwani » 22 Mar 2019, 08:26

She wanted a pet to share all her thoughts with, but she was not even able to ride Caleb safely.

Lol! Sounds like a hilarious read! I am glad she came to understand Caleb and herself. And you are right, the title gets you double checking and going...'huh?' Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Kelyn
2019 Reading Goal: 24
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 37
Currently Reading: The Sparrow
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelyn.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Kelyn » 23 Mar 2019, 21:07

The very idea of trying to train a donkey to be ridable makes me laugh. We had a donkey growing up, "Ol Jack" and he was so ornery (as are most "Smart asses") that we never would have even dreamed of trying to ride him or train him to do anything! I don't know that I will read it, but I can easily believe that this book contains no small amount of humor. Great review, it really reflects the overall feel of the book.
Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story...Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe. (E. Cline - Ready Player One)

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”