Review by dwightyb7 -- The Unbound Soul

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dwightyb7
Favorite Book: Ironbark Hill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dwightyb7.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review by dwightyb7 -- The Unbound Soul

Post by dwightyb7 » 10 Mar 2019, 10:47

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Richard Haight’s,The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment, tells the story of one man’s personal mission, to spiritual enlightenment and much more. This book is an autobiography and a guidebook for those who are students of his teachings. The story takes the reader through the most significant portions of Richard’s life, beginning at the age of 8 years old.

Richard has an unusual and startling introduction to religion when one night while he was sleeping, he had a dream that Jesus was lying flat on the floor, in his room, beside his bed. Richard tried to help him up but Jesus had no bones in his body. Jesus asked Richard to learn about his teachings and to share it with all the world and this became Richard’s lifelong goal.

The request from Jesus spins into an obsession as Richard becomes older. He suffers bouts of depression due to his fear that he will not be able to keep his childhood promise. He decides that suicide is the only way out, as he sees himself as worthless and cannot find a reason to live. As he sat reflecting on his sad life, he has another vision that mystically saves his soul and leads him on his path to self-discovery.

The Unbound Soul is well-written, with no mistakes that I could find and the book appears to be professionally edited. The conversations Richard has with himself and the descriptions of the surroundings added to the reader's ability to experience Richard’s visions, thoughts, and feelings. I particularly appreciated a quote in the book: “Whenever we go into condemnation or comparisons with regard to the self or others; whenever we fail to forgive ourselves or others; whenever we get nostalgic for the past or look forward to the future, we are stepping out of the present.” There were many other thoughtful quotes and nuggets of wisdom in The Unbound Soul..

“The book is not a quick read and many sections will need to be re-read to capture the full meaning. I gave the book 4 out of 4 stars because it is packed full of information for anyone questioning their spiritual path and searching for more meaning to life.

I, however almost didn’t finish this book because it was difficult for me to read. Not because it wasn’t well written but because I do not personally, understand or support the teachings of this author. I also wondered if I could write a fair review of something so unfamiliar to me. But, in committing to read the book (with an open mind), I understood how this story could be a blessing to those who seek further meaning to life at the highest level. I would recommend this book to adults, who are interested in spiritual teachings, meditation and who enjoy reading self-help material. I would not recommend the book to anyone who is looking for a quick read or who is unfamiliar with the teachings of this author.

The Unbound Soul
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like dwightyb7's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”