Official Review: God, Science, Food by Linda D' Nise

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 75
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 85
2017 Reading Goal: 60
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 118
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: God, Science, Food by Linda D' Nise

Official Review: God, Science, Food by Linda D' Nise

Post by LivreAmour217 » 08 Mar 2019, 13:05

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "God, Science, Food" by Linda D' Nise.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

God, Science, Food: Right-sizing the Body Through Principled Nutrition and the Divine Universal Order by Linda D'Nise is a faith-based wellness program that is modeled after the author's successful weight loss strategies. Using the principles laid out within this book, Ms. D'Nise reduced her weight by over one-hundred pounds. Unlike many weight loss and wellness programs, the author does not promise quick fixes or fast results; rather, she emphasizes the importance of structure, discipline, and accountability in reaching and maintaining a healthy weight.

Although the God, Science, Food Program has its foundation in Biblical teachings, the author is not concerned with the personal beliefs of participants and there is no pressure to convert or accept teachings from a specific religion. While Ms. D'Nice stands firm in her Christian faith, she respects all other spiritual viewpoints and only requires that participants engage in a 90-day trial period of the program and refrain from engaging in bullying, gossip, and other forms of negative behavior.

My favorite aspect of this book, and what I also believe to be its strongest point, is the overall detail that Ms. D'Nice provides about the God, Science, Food Program. The author gives clear, specific information about what must be followed to successfully complete this program, leaving the reader with absolutely no questions. Ever forward-thinking, Ms. D'Nice even anticipates the excuses and "what-if" scenarios that may arise among participates in a detailed FAQ section toward the end of the book.

The author speaks with strength and confidence, but also with compassion. There is no doubt that Ms. D'Nice cares very deeply about others and is committed to helping people develop healthy relationships with food. Although her story is one of weight loss, she stresses that the methods within this book can be applied to help anyone, regardless of their weight, procure better eating habits and a more realistic attitude toward food and appetite. I personally do not need to lose a significant amount of weight, but I have found some of her strategies to be very helpful in situations that could lead to overeating. The goal of this book is not to help anyone reach a specific clothing size, but rather lasting health.

My sole criticism of this book is that it does not appear to have been professionally edited. There are enough typographical and grammatical errors to not go unnoticed. The author's message is sound, but the errors detract from some parts of the book and were personally bothersome. I also would have appreciated the inclusion of a bibliography or references section. Ms. D'Nice has clearly done quite a bit of research, and it would be fascinating to learn more about her sources.

Editing issues aside, I enjoyed reading this book and I award it 3 out of 4 stars. God, Science, Food is a detailed plan for better health, and I would recommend it to anyone who wishes to lose weight or improve his or her quality of life.

God, Science, Food
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like LivreAmour217's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein

Kibetious
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 49
Currently Reading: Life Experience of a Self-respecting Black Man
Bookshelf Size: 605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Kibetious » 12 Mar 2019, 00:46

Thanks for the review. It is good to see that the author did not leave anything to chance. The fact that she never promised any quick fixes is also a plus for the book. I hope that another round of editing will be done to correct the typos in the book.
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

T_stone
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone » 12 Mar 2019, 03:37

I like the message in this book but it's not what I'm interested in right now. I'll pass on this one. Thanks for the honest review and I hope the author can make necessary corrections where needed!
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 26
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: TimeWorm by Brenda Heller

Post by kandscreeley » 12 Mar 2019, 07:49

I have also lost quite a bit of weight years ago. I've, somehow, managed to keep it off. It's simply a matter of portion control and exercise. While I am a Christian, I guess I just don't see how the two go together. In any case, I don't really need the book, so I probably won't read it. Thanks, though.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Eva Darrington
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 52
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-darrington.html
Latest Review: Connecting With My Inner Me by Keesha Clayton Harris

Post by Eva Darrington » 12 Mar 2019, 10:02

Developing a healthy relationship with food is definitely the only way to permanent change in this arena. It sounds like this author has the experience to back up her methods. Thanks for the introduction to this book.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. -Scott Adams

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”