Official Review: War's Cost by Dr. Eugene DeFriest Betit

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Rosemary Wright
2019 Reading Goal: 72
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 11
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Favorite Book: Unbalanced
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Collective Amnesia: American Apartheid by Dr. Eugene DeFriest Betit

Official Review: War's Cost by Dr. Eugene DeFriest Betit

Post by Rosemary Wright » 08 Mar 2019, 06:13

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "War's Cost" by Dr. Eugene DeFriest Betit.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"War is hell. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, more vengeance, more desolation." I extracted that thought-provoking quote by General William Tecumseh Sherman from the book, War's Cost, which is written by Dr. Eugene DeFriest Betit. The narrative unveils the Hite family's involvement in the American Civil War and its consequences. It provides some information about the numerous Hites who fought in the Virginia's military unit.

Eugene begins the book by telling how Shenandoah Valley of Virginia was developed. He reveals how Major Isaac Hite Jr., a prosperous Shenandoah Valley farmer and businessman, constructed Belle Grove Plantation near Middletown between 1794 and 1797, which later became a site of one of the major battles of the Civil War. The author presents a brief historical account of the life of Major Isaac's grandfather, Jost Hite. In 1732, Jost was granted 100,000 acres in the valley on condition that he settled one hundred families.

Being a documentary, War's Cost is intriguing and engaging. It offers new insight into the genealogy of the Hite family, showing how the different members of the family were related to each other. It reveals their dates of birth, accomplishments, involvement in the war, how they died, and where they were buried. The book is coherent and enlightening. It's about 107 pages, but it provides a lot of information. However, it's somewhat a serious read, and it requires full concentration to actually grasp its contents. If you don't enjoy reading books loaded with genealogical details and dates, you may skip this one.

Furthermore, the book tells about education in Shenandoah Valley, how slavery existed in all the colonies, how the Hites participated in the war, the survivors, life after the war, and how four years of combat in the valley left most farms devastated. The narration ends on page 54. Afterwards, the author included endnotes and appendices for additional information. Again, some black and white photos as well as some figures were added to enable readers relate to the various stories about the Hites.

Finally, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. It was professionally edited. The only error in the whole book is a part of Appendix C which is upside down. I couldn't rate it lower because it's interesting, and it contains unique information about the war. Historians or anyone interested in the American Civil War stories will love it.

War's Cost
View: on Bookshelves

Like Rosemary Wright's review? Post a comment saying so!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 26
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Channeler by William H Kline IV

Post by kandscreeley » 11 Mar 2019, 11:24

I don't know much about the Shenandoah Valley, so this would be interested in that way. However, I'm not sure it would engage me enough, as I'm not really interested in history. Still, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

T_stone
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone » 12 Mar 2019, 03:49

I'm glad you were able to enjoy the book. I'd love to read more about the Shenandoah valley of West Virginia. I've heard it in two movies and your review has piqued my interest furthermore. Thanks for the review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White

Sinclairess
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sinclairess.html
Latest Review: The Immigrant's Lament by Mois benarroch

Post by Sinclairess » 13 Mar 2019, 13:19

I was interested in the cover and added it to my bookshelf. Thanks for letting us know that it takes concentration, because this is a book for a certain time.

I live in Virginia myself, so I think it'd be great to read when I want local history. It relieves me to know you said that it is professionally edited.

InStoree
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 55
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: Insectual by Barbara Sala

Post by InStoree » 14 Mar 2019, 07:06

Giving the fact that this is a non-fictional book, I think the history of the wars is a drawer of life that we can load. History is a giant of human's evolution, and every event brings extra learning. This book will create a new file (called Shenandoah Valley of Virginia) in the box of my knowledge. Thank you for your compact review, Rosemary!
'You just have to Trust Your Own Madness' - Clive Barker :tiphat:

ShannonHBC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shannonhbc.html
Latest Review: Why can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by ShannonHBC » 18 Mar 2019, 16:27

Sounds like a very interesting book! Probably not the easiest one to read, but I hope I get to read this one at some point.

chiefsimplex
2019 Reading Goal: 80
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 6
Currently Reading: A Second, Less Capable Head
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiefsimplex.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by chiefsimplex » 21 Mar 2019, 05:25

In several attempts to quantify the cost of war ,not many have succinctly taken to account the nervous and emotional wreck that war leaves behind.I am impressed by this story,which is a personal account and i expect it comes close enough to reveal the real catastrophe of war at a personal level.Thanks for sharing.
“So many books, so little time.”
― Frank Zappa

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”