Official Review: Divorced After 50 by Nancy Osier

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
cpru68
2019 Reading Goal: 24
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 33
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 229
Favorite Book: More Heavens Than One
Currently Reading: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Deape Woods by Prudence O'Haire
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Official Review: Divorced After 50 by Nancy Osier

Post by cpru68 » 07 Mar 2019, 16:39

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Divorced After 50" by Nancy Osier.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Divorce brings heartache to those involved from financial upheaval, uncertain living conditions, and child rearing. It is difficult to imagine what this is like unless you have gone through the experience. With marriages ending at a rate of 42-45 percent, it is prevalent and leaves many broken pieces in its wake. This author focuses her book, Divorced After 50: Your 8-Step Guide to Healing and Renewal, toward helping women reestablish themselves after fulfilling a role as a spouse.

Nancy Osier has firsthand knowledge of what it is like to have a long term relationship end after years of commitment. She has had two marriages terminate, with the second one happening while in her fifties. She understands the shattering of the spirit that occurs when two parties no longer remain together. Her purpose in putting together this guide is to give hope to those who are either contemplating leaving a spouse or are in the aftermath of a union that has ended. She details the pain she experienced, the joys of discovering herself again, and she desires to be a light at the end of a dark tunnel for those who are just beginning on this path. The case studies she includes add to the comfort that this book provides.

How does a person rebuild herself after saying 'I do' and has anticipated life as a couple? In step one of this book, the author has her readers engage in what she calls putting together a self-care toolbox. It is filled with items and ideas to choose from to let the body and mind participate in relaxing activity away from the emotional noise of loss and pain. By consistent adherence to taking care of oneself, the heart begins to mend and leads to moving on to revamping one's life. Each step after that is built on this first one including tapping into inner guidance for answers and finding a solid sense of security in oneself.

What I liked most was the section where she speaks about creating a sacred space. She suggests designing a dedicated spot that has special meaning. Whether this would include fragrant candles, antiques or drawings that have personal significance, this location's purpose is to allow for quiet and harmony. Also, I thought her exercise on reframing painful experiences was a great way to assist in overcoming the past. She has her audience visualize an old memory that had negative consequences, and instead of seeing it end the way it did, a new, uplifting conclusion is imagined which empowers the mind. I thought both of these techniques would be simple to try and bring positive results.

There wasn't anything about the book I didn't like. While I did not find any errors in punctuation, spelling or grammar, I did discover that she might have incorrectly listed the name of an author from a book that she references. Often, when I read a book about a subject, and if another one is mentioned, I search to see if I would be interested in reading about it further. When looking up the title Divine Intuition on Amazon, I typed in the name Lynn Anderson as the author suggested. The last name that kept coming up in association with the title was Lynn Robinson, not Anderson. I would recommend that the author checks into that to make sure it is accurate. Other than that, this book seems to have been professionally edited.

I am awarding this a 4 out of 4 stars because of its quality writing, applicable exercises, and I think it will help a significant number of women. Not only is the writing sharp, but there is also a link to a Facebook group where readers can connect with others who have read the material along with contact information to get in touch with the author. Like she emphasized throughout, it is essential to have a support group to help get through this tumultuous time. I would recommend this book to those who are going through a divorce, on the brink of one or who have finalized the papers. While the title sounds like it is geared for those over 50, I found myself thinking that this could easily apply to those who are somewhat younger. If self-help isn't your genre of choice, then you probably wouldn't appreciate this one.

Divorced After 50
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like cpru68's review? Post a comment saying so!
Everything happens for a reason...

ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by ElizaBeth Adams » 13 Mar 2019, 07:29

Thank you for your wonderful review. I am glad this author has created something to support those going through a difficult time. I admire her courage and vulnerability to share wisdom she has gained from her own hard experiences.

Cecilia_L
Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: Of Unsound Mind by Jennifer Cullen

Post by Cecilia_L » 13 Mar 2019, 07:51

Based on your review and as someone who also has firsthand experience with divorce, I agree that this book would be helpful to younger readers, too. Great review!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 26
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Channeler by William H Kline IV

Post by kandscreeley » 13 Mar 2019, 08:10

I'm sure this is a book that's definitely needed (though I do question the statistic that marriages end 42-45% of the time. I'm pretty sure it's higher than that). Still, it's not for me, since I am happily married and plan on staying that way. I'm glad this resource is there for those that need it, though. Thanks.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

chiefsimplex
2019 Reading Goal: 80
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 6
Currently Reading: A Second, Less Capable Head
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiefsimplex.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by chiefsimplex » 13 Mar 2019, 15:11

I am glad that the writing of this book was inspired by the experience of the author .This makes a difference from the vast literature in which authors pose as authorities in matters they do not fully understand.I hope that this guide will therefore be great help.Thanks for sharing the review.
“So many books, so little time.”
― Frank Zappa

mmatthes
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mmatthes » 13 Mar 2019, 21:26

This is a thoughtful and well-written review. Thanks for bringing this book to the attention of all of us on this journey! i appreciated your noting how the author suggests creating a sacred space - great idea.

cpru68

Post by cpru68 » 13 Mar 2019, 23:08

ElizaBeth Adams wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 07:29
Thank you for your wonderful review. I am glad this author has created something to support those going through a difficult time. I admire her courage and vulnerability to share wisdom she has gained from her own hard experiences.
I appreciate your kind comments. This one is a great book for those who need support.

cpru68

Post by cpru68 » 13 Mar 2019, 23:11

Cecilia_L wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 07:51
Based on your review and as someone who also has firsthand experience with divorce, I agree that this book would be helpful to younger readers, too. Great review!
I have gone through a divorce as well, so I found it so nice that someone took what they went through and made a guide for others to find peace again. I appreciate your kind comments and for reading my review.

cpru68

Post by cpru68 » 13 Mar 2019, 23:14

kandscreeley wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 08:10
I'm sure this is a book that's definitely needed (though I do question the statistic that marriages end 42-45% of the time. I'm pretty sure it's higher than that). Still, it's not for me, since I am happily married and plan on staying that way. I'm glad this resource is there for those that need it, though. Thanks.
The statistic was closer to 50 percent but has been trending downward since the 80s, so I guess that is the silver lining. Unfortunately, I am a person who has gone through a divorce after 17 years of marriage and raised two daughters as a single mom. So, while this book would have been great for me to read ten years ago, I still found it to be a gem. Thanks for stopping by, and I appreciate your comments. Glad to hear of your happy marriage! That is definitely a blessing! :)

cpru68

Post by cpru68 » 13 Mar 2019, 23:15

chiefsimplex wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 15:11
I am glad that the writing of this book was inspired by the experience of the author .This makes a difference from the vast literature in which authors pose as authorities in matters they do not fully understand.I hope that this guide will therefore be great help.Thanks for sharing the review.
You are so right about that. This author brings to the table all of her pain and joys to help those who are walking this difficult road. Thanks so much for reading my review. I appreciate your kind comments.

cpru68

Post by cpru68 » 14 Mar 2019, 13:09

mmatthes wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 21:26
This is a thoughtful and well-written review. Thanks for bringing this book to the attention of all of us on this journey! i appreciated your noting how the author suggests creating a sacred space - great idea.
I sure loved reading her book. She has such an uplifting tone and comforting voice in this book. I could feel how much she cares for women while reading this one. Thanks so much for your kind comments, and I appreciate that you read my review! :)

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 28
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The last Assassination
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Issac Montgomery Nemesis by Steven Anthony Bartlett

Post by kdstrack » 14 Mar 2019, 16:53

I liked your suggestion about creating a special space - even if you have not been through a divorce. What a creative way to appropriate the author's positive suggestions. Thanks for your insightful review.

cpru68

Post by cpru68 » 14 Mar 2019, 23:56

kdstrack wrote:
14 Mar 2019, 16:53
I liked your suggestion about creating a special space - even if you have not been through a divorce. What a creative way to appropriate the author's positive suggestions. Thanks for your insightful review.
I have a little writing desk in my room with a beautiful lamp on it. I have a few vision boards surrounding it, so when I read that part..I was like..hey! I have a sacred space. It’s a nice place to relax. Thanks for reading my review and your kind words. I appreciate it.

FOOD AND HOUSING
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by FOOD AND HOUSING » 15 Mar 2019, 10:41

Rebuilding oneself after an inevitable event is difficult. Within any relationship between two or more you want harmony. Loose ends will always remain. Therefore, encouraging and guiding is so imperative for everyone involved in a relationship that has multiple patterns of people that have travelled the same path or that have contribute to decision making within the walls of the relationship. Longevity use to be a century its not anymore. It can me a month of marrige, year or years. Lovers can be a while or ever week or when I need him or her. Attachment no matter what the amount is invested is deeply rooted. So live to love one another even after the aftermath. This book is worth four stars because the seeking to help until he or she is settle comfortable after (FALL) friendship, affair, lust, and lovers.

ButterscotchCherrie
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 21
2018 Reading Goal: 104
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 65
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Wasn't There
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterscotchcherrie.html
Latest Review: Moon Dark by Patricia Barletta
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ButterscotchCherrie » 15 Mar 2019, 17:22

To go off at something of a tangent, I did read recently that the divorce rate is now dropping (in the UK, at least) because men are helping with the housework etc. more than they used to. That's encouraging, I think. I agree that this might also be useful for younger people but I guess one might not have the time for sacred space etc. before 50. That's an amazing idea. Thanks for your comprehensive review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”