Official Review: The secret of high impact leaders

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Official Review: The secret of high impact leaders

Post by Okafor Prosper »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The secret of high impact leaders" by Yoshiharu Matsui.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Secret of High Impact Leaders: Five Proven Leadership Actions To Make Your Team Highly Engaged And Productive, by Yoshiharu Matsui, is a self-help book that aims at providing advice to leaders in any organization on how to increase productivity and bolster confidence and happiness within the organization. The book singles out "poor employee engagement" as the root cause of poor productivity, inefficiency, higher cost, and lower profit that have plagued many organizations in recent years. This is where leaders in organizations are supposed to step up and take charge of the situation to turn things around, but it isn't as easy as it sounds. However, the author strongly believes that by employing the five leadership actions (Envision, Engage, Empower, Enable, and Enhance), which are discussed in this book in detail, leaders in any organization can improve their leadership skills and achieve organizational goals, while maintaining a healthy and happy work environment.

As someone that invests a lot of time into reading self-help books like this one, I hoped to learn a few new things I haven't seen in other books. The book's title alluded that I would get what I wanted, but after reading The Secret of High Impact Leaders, I am not completely satisfied. While the book introduced a new concept of five leadership actions, when the author went into detail about them, it turned out to be information I've already gotten from other books but just tagged differently.

The author included a few case studies involving problems faced by different leaders of organizations and walked the reader through proper ways to overcome the problems by applying some of the leadership actions, and this will definitely help readers to better understand what he talked about. There were also illustrations and charts throughout the book to help simplify any part of the book that may be complex to some readers, and I must applaud the author on his use of a simple and unambiguous language to pass his message in this book, which meant that I didn't even need the illustrations most times.

However, there were some parts where the author wasn't as thorough as I would have liked. Besides the case studies, the book lacked relatable examples that would have helped provide more depth to the author's lessons. I liked the part where the author used human health as an example to illustrate the importance of carrying out audits in an organization, and I would have appreciated more of the same, but it never happened. I also expected the author to include more personal experiences with his methods and talk about mistakes that could be made in the application of his methods, but I didn't get that as well.

This isn't to say that I didn't learn anything new from this book. The author's lesson on the differences between coaching and teaching and how both can be applied in different situations was enlightening. The GROW (Goals, Reality, Options, and Way Forward) coaching model was also another interesting part of the book that I can't wait to apply. Furthermore, The Secret of High Impact Leaders isn't well edited. The book started off well but gradually, the quality of the editing tailed off, especially towards the third chapter. Missing and incorrect determiners made up most of the errors I found.

Overall, reading The Secret of High Impact Leaders was like having a conversation with a Jekyll and Hyde character. I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars because there was a dislike for almost every like I found in the book. While some of my complaints were personal preferences, the editing issues and lack of depth in some areas definitely justify my rating. I couldn't rate it below 2 because it isn't a poorly written book. I would still recommend this book to people interested in learning about good leadership.

The secret of high impact leaders
View: on Bookshelves

Like prospero360's review? Post a comment saying so!
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

Finding dislike for every like is evidence that the author didn't fully explain ideas or didn't understand their point of view well enough. It's good that you were able to find some points in the book that can be applied to leadership roles. Thanks for the review!
Spencer Mack
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This would have made a nice read were it not for the shallowness and errors. It is quite a great disappointment when you begin reading a book with high expectation and this is not met. Thanks for the review. What I would like most in this book would be the case examples included.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It does seem there are quite a few self-help books out there that just reword all the old ideas again and again. That's one reason I don't read many self-help books. I'm sorry that was your experience with this one. Hopefully the next one will be better for you! Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

A dislike for every like seems to me a like a book with not so much depth. I've read enough self-help books and I think they're all the same thing in terms of content. I might be passing on this one. Thanks for the review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
IamShing
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing »

I don't know why but, I guess this book should be polished a little more to improve it.
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'
ShannonHBC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shannonhbc.html
Latest Review: Red Wave Imperative by Alan Schein

Post by ShannonHBC »

The book's title sounds good, it's a shame it didn't quite live up to your expectations. I guess it's one of those books that are at least worth skimming through if you're already familiar with the subject or if you are new to it, it might still be worth reading carefully. But it is very true that many self-help books provide nothing new, as mentioned earlier.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

This book sounds great if you want to improve your team's skills and further your business.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

Despite some of the issues mentioned in the review, the GROW (Goals, Reality, Options, and Way Forward) coaching model sounds interesting and definitely worth checking out!
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

There are a lot of books written on good leadership, and it is an important topic. It seems that this book doesn't stand out, even if there were some new elements the reviewer has learned.
ankushavhad
Favorite Book: Gardening With Guns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ankushavhad.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by ankushavhad »

It seems a good resource for management in industries, mostly for leaders in production-oriented enterprises. The author advises on adopting policies and practices that boost employee engagement for healthy production. I liked the five leadership actions, the 5 E’s: Envision, Engage, Empower, Enable, and Enhance. Wish to get hold of the full version book to read and know further, though. Good review, prospero360. Thanks.
tarafarah7
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1437
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Today's BOTD is a nonfiction, self-help read about leadership and engagement in the workplace. Filled with examples and illustrations to guide readers in their learning, this one sounds great for those looking to lead their teams toward a more purposeful and meaningful future.

Thanks for the review! Hopefully, this one can make it through another round of editing. Sounds great for those starting just starting out in the business world.
Fasmin
Favorite Book: We are voulhire
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fasmin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fasmin »

Sounds like this book isn't the best book for leadership out there. You did a really good job on this review, finding out all the positives and negatives. And unfortunately I'm not greatly interested in leadership, and lack time right now, AND the fact that this isn't the best book out there means I'm passing this one.
“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.”
– John Green
Sirajuddin A
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 554
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirajuddin-a.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Sirajuddin A »

Leadership literature has tons of suggestions for achieving efficiency and goals, but this book demands only five actions to achieve maximum productivity in any organization.
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow&rsquo;s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

It isn't enjoyable to start reading a book you have high expectations of learning something new, only to find out it consists of things you have heard before, just reworded! It sounds like the author had a good outline for the book but failed to carry through on the book's concept. It is also majorly disappointing to find so many errors! Thanks for the insightful review!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”