Official Review: Karma in Action by Constance L Vincent

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Christina O Phillips
2019 Reading Goal: 60
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Currently Reading: I'll Be Gone in the Dark
Bookshelf Size: 1315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: states of unitedness by J.C. Salazar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Karma in Action by Constance L Vincent

Post by Christina O Phillips » 04 Mar 2019, 19:29

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Karma in Action" by Constance L Vincent.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We have all heard the sayings about karma: “What goes around, comes around,” and “You reap what you sow,” and, very commonly, people using a five letter word that rhymes with “witch” to describe karma. But do you really know what karma is?

Karma in Action: Finding Meaning, Making Choices is a non-fiction book written by Constance L. Vincent. Not only does Vincent have a PhD in developmental psychology, but she is also a teacher. The latter fact is quite evident in how the book is organized. There are nine chapters, each covering an aspect of karma such as the definition, karmic rewards, a call to action, and life lessons. Vincent uses research, quotations from people such as Shakespeare, Eliot, and Socrates, along with personal stories to explain karma and the twelve universal laws.

This book was easy to read. Although the idea of karma and its implications can be complicated, Vincent’s use of personal stories and her choice of vocabulary make it so readers can easily follow and understand. The book starts with a definition of karma (which, as Vincent explains, is quite different from luck or coincidence) and moves to Vincent’s story of her life and how karma and the laws have played their part. Using incidents from her own life to help explain the karmic laws is a great teaching device; it makes the concepts easy to grasp.

Karma in Action: Finding Meaning, Making Choices appeared to be well edited as I did not find any errors. The only negative thing I could say about this novel is the difference in tone. The first and last chapter felt like a research paper with the use of outside sources, quotes, and generalized information. Chapters two through eight, however, had a very different, more conversational tone, as they were more focused on Vincent’s life stories. There were still quotes and sources used throughout the chapters, but, to me, they had a different feel from the first and last chapter of the book. As I said before, Vincent’s use of personal tales is a useful teaching device, but as I was reading, I wanted to be asked more about how the laws and karmic situations could apply or compare to my own life. That is eventually covered, though, as the book ends with a few questions that can be used either in a book club meeting or as a reader is reflecting on the book.

I rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it for anyone who is in a rut and may need to change how they are thinking or feeling; it would also be a good read for anyone who is interested in the idea of karma and wants to know more about it.

Karma in Action
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Christina O Phillips's review? Post a comment saying so!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 26
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Channeler by William H Kline IV

Post by kandscreeley » 07 Mar 2019, 09:13

I'm not sure I necessarily believe in karma; I believe in God. Nonetheless, I've heard all those sayings you mention. It sounds interesting, but I don't think it's for me. Thanks for the information. Great review as always.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

InStoree
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 55
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: Insectual by Barbara Sala

Post by InStoree » 07 Mar 2019, 09:30

I have always felt that karma comes with such mystery around it that words won't be enough to accurately define it. I'd like to see how Vincent present this topic. Thank you for your review!
'You just have to Trust Your Own Madness' - Clive Barker :tiphat:

T_stone
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone » 07 Mar 2019, 16:00

I used to believe karma; not anymore. A lot of bad things happen to good people and there are stories of bad people getting away with their actions. However, I'd still like to know what the author of this book has for readers. Thanks for the review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White

Chrystal Oaks
2019 Reading Goal: 24
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 33
Favorite Book: The Sister Circle
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Chrystal Oaks » 09 Mar 2019, 16:40

I look forward to reading Vincent's perception of karma. I have mixed opinions towards this topic. Thanks for the great review!
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Eva Darrington
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 52
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-darrington.html
Latest Review: My Rabbit in the Moon by Mandy Mazure

Post by Eva Darrington » 11 Mar 2019, 11:19

It would be refreshing to read an exploration of karma by a developmental psychologist. I do think karma is misunderstood and more good information is good. Thanks for the introduction to this book.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. -Scott Adams

RuthY1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by RuthY1 » 13 Mar 2019, 16:02

I believe in karma, karma does work though it tarries but it deals with people.
I

Muhammad Ibn Isah
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's War
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Muhammad Ibn Isah » 18 Mar 2019, 15:09

I would like to read this book. i believe karma exists, but some times it takes too long to manifest making is seem not to exist. And the literature description, makes me want to get it the more. I like your review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”