Official Review: Why do we quote? by Ruth Finnegan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fankshazron
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Official Review: Why do we quote? by Ruth Finnegan

Post by Fankshazron »

She must have done a thorough research to come up with such great content.Great indeed!
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I didn't know quotes were such a big deal. It would be interesting to read about the history and types, but I'd only do that when I need the information. I'm currently not in that need. Isn't it strange that such an eloquently written material should lose a star because of grammatical errors? Thanks for the honest review.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

Not my usual go-to book but I would like to try reading this. Like you, I never thought that the act of quoting was a huge subject. I'll get my dictionary ready when I read this book. I'm not confident with my vocabulary. Thank you for your review!
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
RT_offscript
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rt-offscript.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by RT_offscript »

Ruth Finnegan's "Why do we quote?" sounds like an informative book. Based on the review, the author performed extensive research about quotes. In order to increase her readership, however, I agree with you that Finnegan should have created a more relatable book for the layperson. At the work's current state, most people will only use the book as a reference; and unfortunately, they will not enjoy the enriching history on the interesting uses of quotes in a variety of ways throughout the world.

Thanks for the review!
Haunted Kitty
Currently Reading: Salt of the Earth
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Haunted Kitty »

Great review. When I think of a book about quotes, I think of something lighthearted but with a point. I read a few pages and found it more like a textbook which is not what I'm interested in reading.
Ijeoma Kikelomo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ijeoma-kikelomo.html
Latest Review: Visions of Prosetry, Collector's Edition II by V&egrave;&egrave; Nelly

Post by Ijeoma Kikelomo »

Your review says it all. I think the author should have considered the readability of the text, especially by the average person. Still, it sounds like a good book. It would be definitely educative.
Karencantley1
Favorite Book: The Prize
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karencantley1.html
Latest Review: Going Gone by Abraham Lopez

Post by Karencantley1 »

An interesting subject - I’ve never really thought about how often we use quotes in our everyday conversation, or where those quotes came from. I’m not sure I’m interested in reading a whole book about it though. Thanks for a thorough review.
Gmdiamzon 2
Favorite Author: Scott Hughes
Favorite Book: Devilish
Currently Reading: His to Protect
Bookshelf Size: 124
fav_author_id: 6516

Post by Gmdiamzon 2 »

As a reader this fascinates me because who would think about this topic? It gives ideas about quoting and why do we copy and relate to many quotes happening to our lives.
Lee_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lee-reads.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Lee_Reads »

Why do we quote? The topic is interesting and I’m sure it would be an enlightening book. Thanks for the review. I’ll keep it in mind for a rainy day.
Kremena Boyanova
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kremena-boyanova.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by Kremena Boyanova »

Judging by your review the author did a great researching job, examining all the aspects of the act of quoting. The book seems educative, but honestly, it's not the type of book that I would choose to read. Especially if you say that not every reader is an English teacher and that is why not every reader will understand the extensive vocabulary. I like the review very much, though!
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

Thanks for the great review. This book seemes very informative, but it's probably not for me. I'm one of those readers that enjoy reading, but I'm not a professor and I like a more down to earth language style.
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

I think a lot of people, especially students will benefit from this book. Thank you to the author for coming up with an informative and very useful book.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I just reviewed a book about words that was both enlightening and entertaining. This book on quotes and their how's and why's could be a good companion volume. But its complexity dampens my interest.

I'm sure some scholars will find use for this book. But I don't need it for now. I have better plans for my $10.
sabrekat333
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabrekat333.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by sabrekat333 »

Excellent review! Thank you for highlighting the ups and downs of this book, and for pointing it out that it is more of a textbook for students studying language than a casual read.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I wasn't immediately interested in this book but I find quotes and facts are useful in conversation. It is hard to know exactly when and how to use quotes in writing.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”