Official Review: Boyhood Dream by John Scully

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Official Review: Boyhood Dream by John Scully

Post by crediblereading2 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Boyhood Dream" by John Scully.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Boyhood Dreams, consisting of 361 pages and 30 chapters is truly an epic autobiography of Author John Scully. It provides a detailed account of his life of abject poverty and extreme targeting to a life of high attainment and self-actualization. It is certainly a page-turner, and his audience will be enthralled by the fast-paced and shocking events that have affected his life as well as his loved ones.

The author lives in squalor with his parents, his four sisters, and brother Mick in County Kildare, Ireland, during the postwar era. His home lacks many essential items. He attends school barefooted and is also a constant target for bullying from his schoolmates and surprisingly, his teacher.

Because life in his community seems so hopeless, he journeys to England to work towards realizing his dream of owning his own grocery store. In England, he is able to secure several jobs of which he has excelled. His path intertwines with Barbara who later becomes his wife.

Upon amassing enough financial gains, he, his wife and child return to Ireland where he opens his grocery store of which he has long dreamt about. He soon finds out that his community is no longer a simplistic and restrained one. It is now riddled with crime, police corruption, and political influences. His business, however, thrived and thus becomes the target for vandalism. Instead of rendering assistance, he encounters several cases of abuse occasionally at the hand of the Gardai police. Will Mr. Scully survive these constraints or will he be forced to return to England?

Anyone reading Author Scully’s narrative can easily detect the passion and alacrity which he sets out to record his experiences. His prose is clear, sharp, and the storyline flows seamlessly. The author has masterfully utilized ethos within the dialogue and action to portray the authentic life experiences that affect him and the other persons involved in his life. The mood that is felt throughout the passages of the book is determination. Loyalty, teamwork, and courage are promoted in this book.

There are several parts of this book that I do not relish because they have left me feeling very sad. One particular part, without giving away too many spoilers, is where the author’s children would bring the photograph of the store with the car and the van parked alongside it. They would ask why they were no longer possessing them. The author stated that he was afraid that his explanation would give the impression that he could not manage his business. He would, therefore, excuse or allow a wall of silence to come between them.

I like that the author’s life has shown great improvement. He went through a traumatic childhood where he and his brother were the targets of school bullying. This, however, did not deter him from pursuing his dreams. He went to England where he worked at various airline companies and was given several leadership positions. He then returned to his community, set up his business, and courageously fought against the criminals to maintain his stay.

I would highly recommend this book to persons who have been physically and psychologically abused and to those experiencing difficulty in their businesses. The writing is impeccable, therefore, I will award this book a 4 out of 4 stars rating coupled with all the above positive reasons.

Boyhood Dream
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like crediblereading2's review? Post a comment saying so!
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I like reading stories about people who were able to turn their life around for the better. It sounds like an encouraging read. Thanks for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Sunnyroyish
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Sunnyroyish »

Looks like an amazing and life story. I have read some life incidents of the great B.R Ambedkar who is considered to be the father of Indian Constitution. His life was also a struggle and somewhat similar to this man. I would love to read and review this book. Thanks for your informative review. Good job!
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I like that the author’s life has shown great improvement. He went through a traumatic childhood where he and his brother were the targets of school bullying. This, however, did not deter him from pursuing his dreams. He went to England where he worked at various airline companies and was given several leadership positions. He then returned to his community, set up his business, and courageously fought against the criminals to maintain his stay.
I have a great appreciation for redemptive stories like this one. Excellent review!
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Great review of the book which is a autobiography of the author about the bullies he experiences in his childhood and more over that hard life with lack of essential amenities.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

This is such an inspirational read. Thanks for the thorough review.
booklysis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklysis.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by booklysis »

The review is great. And the book too is so inspiring!
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

He sounds like he would be a great inspiration. It's sad about some of the life experiences he had. That's good he was able to overcome them. Thank you for the review.
:techie-studyingbrown:
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

It sounds like he had quite a harrowing life. I’m glad he turned it around. Great review.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Nma26
Currently Reading: Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nma26.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Nma26 »

Everyone should pursue their dreams regadless of how they were raised.Nice review.Thanks.
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

This book sounds very interesting. I admire that the author shared his story. It’s great to hear that his life has turned around after a very difficult start. Thanks for your review.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

Sounds like a stellar book! I'm not a fan of autobiography but you convince me that this Scully's life is worth reading about. Great review :)
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I am very interested in stories of people who overcome poverty. This sounds like a great book.
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 798
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

This is a book that can inspire someone to keep hopes up. A lovely review.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

I am always ready for a great inspirational read. Loved your review.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”