Official Review: First Fruits by Susan Butler

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ann Margaret
Currently Reading: Decide Success
Bookshelf Size: 5

Re: Official Review: First Fruits by Susan Butler

Post by Ann Margaret »

"First Fruits" by Susan Butler

I am always searching for a good devotional book. While I enjoy those that go indepth on each topic, I do like to have one available for those days when I am unable to spend an extended time reading. This book sounds like one for just those times. It may be a book that I would also recommend to those new to using such devotionals. I am looking forward to reading it.
SaffraWhishart
Currently Reading: The Candle Room
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saffrawhishart.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by SaffraWhishart »

I have really enjoyed what I've read of this book so far. "First Fruits" is a concept that our pastor talks about a lot, and I loved that at the beginning she talked about its importance not just in what we give to God, but what He gives to us. I think often the barrier we have to giving our first fruits to God is that we forget the benefits of all the "first fruits" we receive through Him when we seek Him. You could really tell how the author has received these in the way she wrote. It is personal and full of heart.

Thanks for your review--it was very thoughtful and practical, clearly written with the reader in mind.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Sounds like an interesting read. I am sure there will be a lot reader who will find this book resourceful, but this isn't for me. Thank you for your descriptive review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
ccrews0408
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccrews0408.html
Latest Review: From Hill Town to Strieby by Margo Lee Williams

Post by ccrews0408 »

Great review!!! I enjoy reading Bible based books, especially those that are inspirational.
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

I read the early part of the book before the very well-written review and I got the feeling the author was probably from the Baptist denomination. Personally, I do not believe one has to be religious to be 'Christian' or to have faith in a Creator. I do agree that some of the daily readings did not seem to follow the heading for that week, but I would want to know from the author why she chose that method and what message she was trying to convey.

For example, looking at Week 29 - Judgement. I think when we judge that has its origins in our mind, our thoughts. Then we may use speech to others conveying that judgement. The author gives examples under the heading of Speech. That is followed by Encouragement and here the author gives examples of what we should do instead. After giving those passages some thought I felt there was a flow of ideas, at least for that particular week.
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Roggyrus »

This is a very helpful book for reading the Holy Bible. What better way to read on a staggered and organized way than this journal-type of methodical dishing out of contents, designed for daily consumption. I have read the Bible from cover to cover, including footnotes, prologue, and introductory narrative to each section. I have even searched for those omitted books, the apochrypal in the effort to know all about it. But I remember only the colorful ones, the parts which are mostly quoted by writers. Thanks for your comprehensive review.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

Thanks for the review. I do not enjoy reading devotionals because I find that they usually conflict with my own beliefs from the Bible so I'll pass on this one. I do think the book will be useful to its genre-lovers.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Karencantley1
Favorite Book: The Prize
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karencantley1.html
Latest Review: Going Gone by Abraham Lopez

Post by Karencantley1 »

This book will appeal to those wanting to have a closer relationship with their God, and express their faith in a disciplined and organised way. Also a nice idea for those who would like to read the bible, but find it a bit daunting, as this book sort of breaks it down to manageable pieces.
Anamchara1317
Currently Reading: Killers of the Flower Moon
Bookshelf Size: 529
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Anamchara1317 »

It's been a long time since i've read the Bible, although I do consider myself a liberal Christian. This sounds like a good way to reflect, weekly, on a message from the Bible, when I don't go to church often. Thanks!
todwyer01
Currently Reading: From the Fatherland with love
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-todwyer01.html

Post by todwyer01 »

The Bible can be said to be one of the most influential yet complex books in human history. This book does an excellent job breaking down that complexity into meaningful chapters and passages so that people can better understand this "Holy Book." Just from a sampling, this book is truly well done.
Arham Kaiyoom
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Arham Kaiyoom »

I am not really into spirituality... But it seems this one is a nice book to start with. I loved the concept and especially the format of book. I really think division of this book in 52 parts is a great idea. Especially for those who are not into spirituality. However, the deviation from the heading of the week does sound discouraging. But I think , it is compensated by giving the space for personalization of book. Overall , good review looking forward to read the book. :D :)
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

By the title alone I can tell its a Christian book. This devotional book is suitable to the Christians who intend to read the Bible from cover to cover with its' messages to be deeply rooted in your heart because faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1902
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

'Official Review: First Fruits, by Susan Butler', is a critical one! I could learn things (negative points of the book), beyond the range of my normal understanding! I appreciate that the author is not strict about the grammar of the book!
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

Thanks for the great review. This is a good book especially for Christians who wish to grow in their faith.
ShailaSheshadri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shailasheshadri.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by ShailaSheshadri »

This sounds like an interesting devotional book. The author sets different holy themes for all the 52 weeks of the year. Scheduling the first slot of our day to God, encourages people to adhere to the religion and perform activities of faith, on a regular basis. Conversations with god, divine suggestions, and healing are great to imagine and experience. Though I am not a christian, I strongly recommend this book for those who practice Christianity. It will surely give them inner strength and peace to lead a honest and disciplined life.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”