Official Review: Papa and Mama Said: by Lucinda Gallop Baum

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supergirl1.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley
Reading Device: B00M4L4NHY

Official Review: Papa and Mama Said: by Lucinda Gallop Baum

Post by Supergirl1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Papa and Mama Said:" by Lucinda Gallop Baum.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It feels like such an awfully long time since my siblings and I sat in a circle round my grandmother as she told us stories of her childhood. This book helped me recapture the good feelings we used to have back then, and I can just picture mama as we called her, in her armchair, entertaining us until we fell asleep one after the other.

Papa and Mama said: is made up of 331 pages of the author’s beautiful childhood experiences in a society free from the clutches of materialism. In it, she describes members of her family, her neighbors, as well as her experiences with some of the other people they had to interact with growing up. Her family lived in poverty; each member often had just one dress, and would only get another when the old one was worn out. They would sometimes get materials discarded by other people, and fashion them into things they needed. Old garments were never thrown away; they were used as rags instead. Yet, they have had a happy and contented life in spite of their want.

All the happy stories in this book just lend weight to the fact that a lack of money does not doom one to misery. Rather, contentment and good relationships with people bring great joy. Even as adults with families of their own, the older kids still kept in touch with their parents and siblings; in some cases even moving back home to be closer to them. In this extremely busy society of ours, it is so easy to get caught up in day to day living that we forget to make time for our loved ones. The importance of giving and receiving love to our overall state of mind cannot be overemphasized.

Of course, there are other charming characters in this book, and I will describe a few of them here. One is Uncle John Henry, the old house owner who had them move into his spacious house in a more affluent neighborhood. Then dirty Crook Neck, who looked like he never had a bath. Also Miss Polly, the kindly storekeeper, and ugly Miss Nellie Rawls, who was rumored to have been given to her husband’s best friend in exchange for a swipe net. Some of these characters are quite funny, and their stories make a very enjoyable read.

This book contains a lot of folklore and colloquialisms. Some of these are quite funny while a few of them are thoughtful. The kids had fun speaking what they called “Pig Latin”, and Lucinda G. Baum was gracious enough to include the principle behind it and exactly how to learn it. They also had a prank they called “Glunderclinching.” What a nasty prank that was!

I really enjoyed this book and was a little dismayed when I got to the end; I wished the story would continue. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is a total package of fun and wisdom and I heartily recommend it to everyone who enjoys memoirs. Lucinda, thank you for sharing your delightful stories.

Papa and Mama Said:
View: on Bookshelves

Like Supergirl1's review? Post a comment saying so!
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Happiness truly is a state of mind.
Can man still escape the "clutches of materialism"?

It would be refreshing to reminisce with Lucinda. Thanks for the super review, Supergirl1!
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

These kind of childhoods are worth more than money. The children grow up well educated, smart, outgoing and most importantly, happy. It is a great lesson to read such a beautiful story. And I will have to check that prank they had, it sounds intriguing. Thank you for the review!
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

Miriam Molina wrote: 25 May 2018, 00:32 Happiness truly is a state of mind.
Can man still escape the "clutches of materialism"?

It would be refreshing to reminisce with Lucinda. Thanks for the super review, Supergirl1!
These days it seems money is everything. So stressful.
I’m glad you enjoyed my review. You’re welcome. :)
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

Laura Ungureanu wrote: 25 May 2018, 01:26 These kind of childhoods are worth more than money. The children grow up well educated, smart, outgoing and most importantly, happy. It is a great lesson to read such a beautiful story. And I will have to check that prank they had, it sounds intriguing. Thank you for the review!
These days it has become so daunting to raise happy kids. If they are not getting bullied, they are feeling sad because someone is bragging and showing off things their parents are unable to afford for them.

Thanks for reading my review.
meriales_angel
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by meriales_angel »

I hope that every child becomes addicted to a book rather than to a gadget, because books will never harm you but it will give you the information that can complete your personality.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm definitely interested in going back to a simpler time without as much materialism. Sounds like there's a lot to like about this book. Thanks so much.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I find it so fun to be transported by a book back in time to days that were simple. I cannot imagine having only one dress to wear! As the seasons are changing here, and I need to get out my summer clothes I was just thinking..I have “nothing to wear!” A book like this shows us how dramatic we are. The author really didn’t have anything much to wear, but it sounds like she was in a very happy state of existence. I like the fact that this author looks back and sees the wisdom of those who raised her..the title speaks to that. This one just might have to go on my shelf to read. It sounds just wonderful!
Everything happens for a reason...
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

A "happy and contented life despite of want" certainly sounds idyllic. Although many young readers could certainly learn a lesson in gratefulness from this type of book, I can see senior readers being this book's true audience as they happily reminisce with the author.
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I'm sold on this one. I often wish we lived in simpler times. It sounds like a delightful book to read, and I wonder what the prank was...? Thanks for a great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Kemunto lucy »

This book has a great lesson: that material things should not be the source of happiness, rather, contentment in whatever little we have brings inner peace.
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dtb »

It is nice to see a book with a happy and uplifting message. I will add this one to my "Want to Read" shelf.

Thanks for a great review.
Edgeona
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edgeona.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Edgeona »

Reading this review gives hope. Great job reviewer, hoping to read this book.
Donmaxcee70
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Donmaxcee70 »

It is nice to see a book with a happy and uplifting message. I will add this one to my "Want to Read" shelf.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

Supergirl1 wrote: 24 May 2018, 10:22
Rather, contentment and good relationships with people bring great joy.

I really think this is true. You can have all the money in the world and still be miserable. You can be surrounded by people, but still feel alone. But true joy can be found if we accept what has been given to us and treat others as we would want to be treated. What an awesome book and hopefully, I can find time soon to read it. Thank you for your review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”