Official Review: How to Make Your Credit Card Rights Work...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: How to Make Your Credit Card Rights Work...

Post by Christina Rose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "How to Make Your Credit Card Rights Work for You" by Franshone Winn.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We live in a day and age where fewer people are using cash or checks as forms of payment. Credit cards are far more convenient now for various reasons. Among others are the influx in online shopping, the ability we now have to instantly pay bills online or over the phone, and even the added convenience of being able to scan all of our credit cards to our smart phone wallet. With this surge in credit card usage, it is important for consumers to understand the rights they have as credit card holders.

In the finance book, How To Make Your Credit Card Rights Work For You: Save Money, author Franshone Winn, Esq provides the reader with an informative yet understandable guide to credit card rights. Whether you are a new or a seasoned card holder, this book holds valuable information. It not only covers your rights when applying for a credit card and once you are a credit card owner, but also your rights when disputing charges and what to do when you feel your rights have been violated.

This book opens with an introduction discussing what the text covers. Then there are chapters that each discuss a particular credit card right and what can be done if you feel your right has been violated. These chapters highlight some of the most important information. Further text not included in the chapters appears later in the appendices. The author concludes with a glossary of pertinent credit card terms and definitions.

What I find most valuable in this set up is that it gives the reader the ability to easily find the information he or she needs without a lot of extra reading. The contents page does not include chapter titles, however there is a title in the beginning of each chapter. So, if I wanted information on my credit reports and subsequent rights, I would flip through while reading chapter titles until I got to Chapter 3, where I would find the desired information. The same goes for each appendix. I will say, however, that including the titles on the contents page would be beneficial and would save the reader even more time.

Another aspect of this book that I find truly helpful is that the author provides valuable tools for the reader who would like to exercise his or her credit card rights. These tools include important state by state regulations, mailing addresses, websites, and even sample letters that can used in cases of disputes and other requests. Having this information at the reader’s disposal within the chapters keeps the reader from having to seek out additional information elsewhere.

The author is an economist and an attorney. She has a Juris Doctor degree and a Master's degree in Economics with a concentration in Public Finance. Her educational background makes me feel comfortable following the advice and applying the information found in this book. She presents it in such a way that anyone interested can follow along and understand. I know I finally understand certain aspects I had difficulty grasping before reading this book, such as the intricacies of filing for bankruptcy.

I give How To Make Your Credit Card Rights Work For You: Save Money a rating of 4 out of 4 stars, and I recommend it to anybody considering applying for a credit card as well as those who are already credit card owners. There are several finance books available today, but it is my opinion that the sheer readability of this one puts it heads above the rest.

How to Make Your Credit Card Rights Work for You
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Christina Rose's review? Post a comment saying so!
Aarush Kumar
Currently Reading: Disastrously Fabulous
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aarush-kumar.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Aarush Kumar »

Great review... I might read this one... I guess I'll add it to my To-Read list for now...
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like a very informative book for many people. I think I'm pretty savvy with my credit cards, so I don't think it's something I need. I know there are a lot of people out there, though, who have no idea what they should or can do with their credit cards! Thanks for a great review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Aarush Kumar wrote:Great review... I might read this one... I guess I'll add it to my To-Read list for now...
Thanks! I do not read a lot of financial books, but this one has a lot of useful information. It is also presented in a way that is not overwhelming.

-- 15 Aug 2017, 18:10 --
kandscreeley wrote:Sounds like a very informative book for many people. I think I'm pretty savvy with my credit cards, so I don't think it's something I need. I know there are a lot of people out there, though, who have no idea what they should or can do with their credit cards! Thanks for a great review.
Nobody likes reading the fine print when they apply for credit cards, or anything else for that matter. This is definitely good reference material to keep on hand in case you run into any problems.
Thanks!
bookiegalke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookiegalke.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by bookiegalke »

while I may never have had a problem managing my credit cards, it wouldn't hurt me to consider reading this book. I'm hoping there is information in here that I know nothing about. it's better to be safe than sorry.
'if you encounter a man of rare intellect, you should ask him what books he reads'
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Bigirimana Celestin
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigirimana-celestin.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Bigirimana Celestin »

I think, I have to enjoy it.
Thanks for awesome review.
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
― Maya Angelou
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

bookiegalke wrote:while I may never have had a problem managing my credit cards, it wouldn't hurt me to consider reading this book. I'm hoping there is information in here that I know nothing about. it's better to be safe than sorry.
It's definitely good to have on hand in case you run into issues in the future. Thanks!

-- 17 Aug 2017, 09:33 --
bigirimanacelestin wrote:I think, I have to enjoy it.
Thanks for awesome review.
It's great reference material if you decide to check it out. Thanks!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I hope this book will be made free as I am not sure the contents apply to my country.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Christina Rose!
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Miriam Molina wrote:I hope this book will be made free as I am not sure the contents apply to my country.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Christina Rose!
I don't know if some of the advice from the book would be helpful to you, but all the addresses are in the United States. So, unfortunately, you probably wouldn't get much use from this book. Thank for checking out the review, regardless!
readandsmile
Currently Reading: Boom! A Revolting Situation
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readandsmile.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by readandsmile »

Your review is really helpful for me as I am planning to have my credit card. Thank you for that well written review. I like your review. You give such idea.
Reading is an antidote for...
Anger
Burdens
Discouragement
Fears
Hopelessness
Loneliness
Sadness
Tiredness
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

readandsmile wrote:Your review is really helpful for me as I am planning to have my credit card. Thank you for that well written review. I like your review. You give such idea.
Thank you, readandsmile! Glad you found it helpful!
El-kanah
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-kanah.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by El-kanah »

When I start reading this review, I thought this book would be recommended for business people, but the midway into the review, I got it wrong. Thanks for the detailed review.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

El-kanah wrote:When I start reading this review, I thought this book would be recommended for business people, but the midway into the review, I got it wrong. Thanks for the detailed review.
I think it's great reference material for all consumers, business personnel or otherwise. Thanks for reading!
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html

Post by BookHausJ »

This is something interesting. Some informative guidelines that can be of help for the card holders. I might read this someday. Thanks for the review!
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

BookHausJ wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 07:40 This is something interesting. Some informative guidelines that can be of help for the card holders. I might read this someday. Thanks for the review!
Thanks for checking it out!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”