Official Review: Seven Essential Things Needed for Relati...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Official Review: Seven Essential Things Needed for Relati...

Post by Shelle »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Seven Essential Things Needed for Relationships to Succeed" by Todd Corabi.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Seven Essential Things Needed for Relationships to Succeed by Todd Corabi is a non-fiction educational guide geared toward teenagers, parents, educators, and others who work with middle and high school students. The author's goal is to provide a framework of what healthy relationships look like and how to help teens best navigate the unique situations with their various relationships.

Author Todd Corabi has been a high school teacher for nearly 20 years and used his experiences with teens as the basis for this book and the high school class he teaches that covers the same material. He builds his thesis by drawing a basic simple house and shows how the house's foundation, walls, and roof are all like important parts of a healthy relationship. The first part of the book talks about our inherent need for relationships and the different types of relationships throughout or lives. The main part of the book talks about the Seven Things referred to in the title. Corabi describes the importance of trust and honesty, respect and communication, and friendship, loyalty, and love. The practical examples he gives make the material very applicable and I could easily see how my past healthy and unhealthy relationships did or did not meet the requirements of this framework.

I thought this material was interesting and useful. I could see teachers and parents finding the information in this book helpful and relevant to the teens they encounter every day. There were some really good chapters about love and obsession as well as love and sex that deal with these mature topics in a no-nonsense, direct way and I found that approach refreshing and honest. I also appreciated all the real-life examples the author gave from his decades of teaching.

I also really liked the author's conversational writing style and found his thought process easy to follow. However, the overuse of unnecessary quotations became annoyingly distracting and formatting and spacing irregularities made the book feel not as professional as it could have been otherwise. While I don’t doubt Corabi’s claims, I would have appreciated the author citing some published, peer-reviewed studies to back up his claims.

I rated this book 3 out of 4 stars. The material covered was interesting and practical, but the lack of polish in the editing left the book feeling not quite finished. I would happily recommend this book to my teacher friends as well as parents of teens and tweens. While the author specifies that this book was not created to meet common core curriculum standards, it can be adapted to meet those requirements rather easily and I think teachers would appreciate that. I could see this book serving as a catalyst for some heartfelt and in-depth conversations between parents and their teen children.

Seven Essential Things Needed for Relationships to Succeed
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Shelle's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Teenagers need guidance on relationships and i believe this book will he helpful to those who interact with teenagers facing relationship issues. Nice review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

With the state of relationships in this world, this probably is a very needed book right now. Sounds like it has some good tips and advice in it. It's too bad about the lack of polish but that can surely be fixed. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
bfergusonwpg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 222">Blood Crime</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 679
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bfergusonwpg.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by bfergusonwpg »

While I can't see this being the type of material I would go out of my way for, this does sound like a worthy book in spite of its technical flaws. I agree with the commentator just prior to me that this could probably be easily remedied.
kunlebass
Currently Reading: Soundproof Future Scotland
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reading Device: Tablet

Post by kunlebass »

The book review on the title Seven essential things needed for relationships is highly recommended for parents and their teenage kids.Quite interesting and educative.
Tanvir123
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Tanvir123 »

Interesting for me
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I think this is a great topic to bring up at the YA level. Glad you found some merit in this one!
derekkirima
Currently Reading: The Wicked Wives
Bookshelf Size: 39

Post by derekkirima »

This book 7 things needed for relationship to succeed by Tedd Corabi is good for all involved with growing teenagers beginning sexual relationships but also proves to be interesting for teens themselves apart from some unproven claims by the author that as already cited, he could have solved by getting expert, proven ideas, I give the author thumbs up for his good and interesting work and urge others to read it.
Promise ukanwa
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Promise ukanwa »

So interesting
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

I liked the review. Relationships is one of the most discussed topic these days. Anyone who is suffering from bad relationships must read this book :)
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

I wish I had this book a few years back in highschool. I think I could still benefit from it now. Thank you for your clear, helpful review.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Penny Lee
Favorite Author: R. A. Salvatore
Favorite Book: The Count of Monte Cristo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 485
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penny-lee.html
Latest Review: The Pirate Who Was Scared of Birds by Michelle Path
fav_author_id: 8463

Post by Penny Lee »

The qualities Corabi describes, namely trust, honesty, respect, communication, friendship, loyalty, and love certainly seem foundational in any good relationship. Hopefully the editing can be a bit more polished so that the book can reach a wider audience. Thanks for the good review.
Littera scripta manet -- the written word remains.
bookiegalke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookiegalke.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by bookiegalke »

While the targeted audience for this book are teenagers, parents and educators, it would seem to me that even people who don't fall into that category would benefit from the many insights brought out in this book. I look forward to reading it
'if you encounter a man of rare intellect, you should ask him what books he reads'
Ralph Waldo Emerson
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Who does not need advice on relationships. I think everyone should read it. Thanks for the nice review.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Onyinyechukwu
Currently Reading: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechukwu.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Onyinyechukwu »

Sounds like a credible review. Relationships are a lot different than one could imagine. I guess it shouldn't be left to the imagination but taught about by a reliable source. It might be worth while to read the book. Thanks.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”