Review of How Did I Let This Happen?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Review of How Did I Let This Happen?

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "How Did I Let This Happen?" by Candies Rose Bryant.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How Did I Let This Happen? by Candies Rose Bryant is a short non-fiction memoir of the writer's life experiences and the lessons she has learned so far. The author uses her memories to advise and teach readers how to live more enjoyable lives.

The author begins by explaining how from a young age she adopted the mentality of a superwoman, conforming to the stereotype of the strong African-American woman. This was because her dad was not always present in her life, so she learned to be self-sufficient and live independently. Also, as her brothers grew up and left the house, she developed a more mature and self-reliant mindset. She also adds that the words we speak have tremendous power. She also remembers being pregnant with twins and the terror she felt when she gave birth prematurely, which led to one of the babies dying. The writer continues by explaining that women often give too much of their emotional and physical resources, so they must also give themselves the care and attention they need. The author also feels that she does not trust other people, as she trusts inward, and she wants her children to adopt a healthy level of trust for others.

There were a number of positive elements in the text. To begin with, the book was exceptionally edited with no grammatical or typographical mistakes. Moreover, the author was very real with her feelings and emotions, leaving no pieces behind in her stories, as she revealed all her heartbreak and pain to the reader in a vivid manner. Additionally, the story was structured and organized logically with a rational flow, as the chapters cohesively tied with each other. What I liked most about this book was that the author shared her wisdom and experiences in a beautiful way, thereby advising readers to make the correct changes in their lives in order to overcome their fears and begin living a life of happiness and prosperity. There was nothing that I disliked in this book.

This book will be most appreciated by African-American women who have gone through loss, heartbreak, and tribulations in their life. This is because the writer often refers to African-American women in the text, giving them advice and talking about stereotypes that involve this group of people. Christian readers may prefer this book, as the writer includes Bible verses in the text.

In conclusion, this book deserves a score of 4 out of 4 stars. This is because it was perfectly edited, vividly written, coherently structured, and wisely compiled.

How Did I Let This Happen?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Purplesturv
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purplesturv.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Purplesturv »

My favourite bit of this book is the author identifying her trust issues and being intentional about doing better with her kids. Your review is insightful.
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Rishi_reviews »

I really like a book which is frank to you and let's you dive in to another person's life completely. This is a book which seems like it'll fit my taste. Thanks for the amazing review.
David Iba
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by David Iba »

At time it good when you grow up to a certain stage, you dont really need one help, Be self independent. What i like must about this book is, she move on with her life without looking back.
Dawn Miller 4
Currently Reading: Unsilenced
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dawn-miller-4.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Dawn Miller 4 »

I have often thought of writing my own memoir, except that I am still living a difficult part of and it would be hard to have an ending. Your review helped me realize I may have something to write about that is worth reading. Thanks

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”