Official Review: Fueling America by Jack Kerfoot

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Official Review: Fueling America by Jack Kerfoot

Post by Yoli García »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fueling America" by Jack Kerfoot.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Do you want to learn about the energy industry in the United States and around the world? Are you worried about climate change? Do you want to know about the future of energy in the world?

Written by Jack Kerfoot, Fueling America: An Insider's Journey is a fascinating and enlightening non-fiction book about the oil industry in the United States. Backed up by a 40-year career as a successful geophysicist working for several independent and multinational companies, Kerfoot takes the reader on an educational journey about fossil fuels and renewable energy. With detailed and extensive data, he demonstrates how the United States and the world have become dependent on fossil fuels, which also pollute the environment and increase the greenhouse effect. Furthermore, people forget or do not know that the world has a finite amount of fossils fuels. As a result, renewable sources of energy, such as wind and solar, are the way to go to preserve our future.

I chose to read this book because I wanted to learn about the energy industry in the United States and the future of energy around the world. Having two kids makes me think about what sort of world we will leave to future generations. I was not disappointed as Kerfoot's expertise on the subject is undeniable. He has worked in different capacities, from a roustabout to a vice president of exploration, for companies like Mobil Oil, HUFFCO, Conoco, Murphy's Oil, and Consolidated Contractors Energy Development (CCED). Besides the United States, his work took him to live to different countries, such as England, the Netherlands, Malaysia, and Oman.

My favorite aspect about the book was that it includes engaging data about the consumption and production of sources of energy, particularly of oil, in the United States and the People's Republic of China. For example, the data indicates that the United States consumes much more Barrels of Oil Per Day (BOPD) than it produces, making the country dependent on foreign oil imports. Learning other facts shocked me. The United States only started conserving energy after the price of gasoline increased $1.81 per gallon from 2001 to 2008. Also, half of the oil of the world is subsidized rather than sold at the market value price, which does not promote energy conservation.

In addition to including high-quality data, Kerfoot gives the reader a meaningful message in this book. Whether a person believes or not in climate change, the truth is that fossil fuels are finite, meaning they will not last forever. The United States and other countries around the world have taken notice. The world still has the hope of having a future in which energy comes from renewable sources. An example is that President George W. Bush signed the Energy Policy Act in 2005. The approval of tax credits to companies that would produce wind and alternative sources of energy promoted the growth of the production of wind and solar power in the United States.

Without hesitation, I rate Fueling America: An Insider's Journey by Jack Kerfoot 4 out of 4 stars. Kerfoot is a gifted writer, which makes it easy for the reader to learn and enjoy the information about the energy industry. The book was professionally edited as I found only six typos. The book also includes neat graphs that support the author's arguments and a convenient glossary of terms. I would recommend this book to those who work in the energy industry, want to learn about fossil fuels and renewable sources of energy, and are concerned about the future of our world.

Fueling America
View: on Bookshelves

Like Yolimari's review? Post a comment saying so!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

Is there anybody wouldn't want to read this book? We all should be concerned about climate change. You have done a good review and the author too has done a commendable job, all we got to do is read and grasp something from it.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

It sounds like the author gives an intelligent and comprehensive look on this subject. This is not something I would be interested in though. Thanks for your review.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Your curiosity to know and prepare for the future is pretty much spot on. I've got two kids, too, but the irony is that they are more well-versed about this book's theme than I am. You've made the piece seem informative, credible, and amply-written enough to equip someone needing more enlightenment like I do. Thus, thank you for your relatable review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Maybe I'm too naive about the issue, but I feel that there are more important issues that we should deal with or else there won't be anyone left to make any climate changes. I'm glad you enjoyed this one and that it was professionally edited. It's not for me, though. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

Sounds very interesting. There's a lot to learn.Nice detailed review.
:tiphat:
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

This book looks like it was well written with thorough research of energy and other sources of renewable energy. I might check it out soon as no knowledge is lost. Thanks for the review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Sounds very interesting. Seems like the author provides a close up about the welfare on earth and it's resources. I wonder what kind of opinion he holds on the topic of scarce of resources? Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
writer808
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writer808.html
Latest Review: The Chest of Visions by Tim Ferguson

Post by writer808 »

a very thorough review ,I am an IR student,i will definitely read it.
Yoli García

Post by Yoli García »

fredrick otieno wrote: 20 Oct 2018, 02:51 Is there anybody wouldn't want to read this book? We all should be concerned about climate change. You have done a good review and the author too has done a commendable job, all we got to do is read and grasp something from it.
Yes, I agree, we all should be concerned about climate change. Thanks for reading and commenting!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Yoli García

Post by Yoli García »

Espie wrote: 20 Oct 2018, 10:17 Your curiosity to know and prepare for the future is pretty much spot on. I've got two kids, too, but the irony is that they are more well-versed about this book's theme than I am. You've made the piece seem informative, credible, and amply-written enough to equip someone needing more enlightenment like I do. Thus, thank you for your relatable review.
With all this crazy weather going on everywhere, I am starting to read more about the subject. Thanks for reading and commenting!

-Gabriel García Márquez
Franc93
Currently Reading: Demon
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-franc93.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Franc93 »

There is a quote i once came by ' We need nature, nature does not need us.' That being said, this book highlights important steps we should take as custodians of this wonderful planet to make sure we leave a worthy legacy for our future children. Renewable energy is one of them. Great review
"Are you going to sit there and feel sorry for yourself, or are you going to reshuffle those cards life dealt you."- Stick

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”