Official Review: From My Mind From My Voice

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Official Review: From My Mind From My Voice

Post by Jgideon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "From My Mind From My Voice" by Tehron Jaqui Bush.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you ever thought of writing a book that only covers your thoughts about life, how would the book turn out to be? Would your voice count on the issues that you decide to write down for others to read? I believe these are the questions that Tehron Jaqui Bush had when he wrote the book, From My Mind, From My Voice.

The book consists of 117 pages. It has many sections that the author has laid out in the table of contents so that the reader can easily navigate through the book. He focuses on the issues of religion, leadership, personal development, globalization, marriage, and politics. He has done thorough research about the issues that he addresses in the book.

I liked several things about the book. The author has used a broad view of the things that happen in everyday life. He does not focus on one issue, which would make the book somehow boring. For instance, on the theme of politics, he chooses to explore several aspects. They include the office of the President of the United States of America. He narrows it down to the election process with great insights about the popular vote and the electoral vote. He believes that the Electoral College does not represent the will of the people, and the popular vote should be the basic determinant of the winner of any election. He gives his honest opinion of the most influential presidents that the US has ever had. Barrack Obama seems to be the author’s favorite American president. The author also gives his thoughts about the first 100 days in office because they are very crucial in the politics of the US.

The author portrays several weaknesses in his writing. He does not include in-text citations of his sources. No matter how well researched the book is, the lack of proper in-text citations undermines the credibility of the book. Plagiarism is not allowed in any type of writing. The author has included both a reference list and a bibliography at the end of the book. It is wrong. A book can only have a single list of sources depending on the referencing style that the author uses. For instance, a reference list is used when an author uses the APA style of referencing. A bibliography is used when an author uses footnotes or endnotes for the in-text citations. I also noted that the book had many missing quotation marks. In addition, it has many grammatical errors. It could use the helpful hand of an editor.

At some point, I felt that the book is an assignment report from the author’s sociology class. There are several instances where the author indicates that he is part of a class. If the book is indeed a response to a given assignment, the author should let the reader know beforehand. I do not agree with some of the author’s thoughts in the book. For instance, he believes that an effective leader should own a business. This is not true. Owning a business is not a requirement for a great leader. There are many great leaders in the world, but not all of them are entrepreneurs. He also believes that ethnicity should be a major aspect in determining the effectiveness of a leader. He states that “My personal leadership starts with my ethnicity.” Any type of discrimination, either racial or otherwise, makes a bad leader.

I give the book 2 out of 4 stars. I believe it is fair enough since he has given his thoughts whether I agree with them or not. The grammatical errors and plagiarism need to be corrected to enhance the quality of the book. Assuming that the author corrects the several issues with the book, it would be a great read for someone who needs to know more about religion, politics of the USA, leadership, and global affairs from a Christian perspective.

From My Mind From My Voice
View: on Bookshelves

Like Jgideon's review? Post a comment saying so!
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

The author seems to have dealt with a number of issues here but grammatical errors and lack of citations can detract from the reading experience. Thanks for the review!
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Those books where people share their ideas can be quite valuable. I wouldn't have known from the title that this was necessarily about religious and political themes. The arguments about the electoral college vote versus the popular vote sound interesting.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 »

Thanks for your detailed review. This book does not appeal to me as I do not like to read about religion or politics. I do appreciate your thoughts on it
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I disagree with the author’s ideas you highlighted about leadership. That issue, along with the poor editing, discouraged me from reading this book. But I appreciate your helpful review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

The author seems like one of those Trump supporters (nothing wrong being his supporter) given his opinion that "an effective leader should own a business." I might consider reading this book after a round of editing. Thank you for the informative review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Ronel_Steyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ronel-steyn.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Ronel_Steyn »

Thank you for the review. I think I might stay away from the book though.
wendos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendos.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by wendos »

It good that the author has greatly researched and written on issues of utmost importance to humanity. Too bad that the book has multiple grammar errors and doesn't seem credible enough.
Philloh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-philloh.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Philloh »

The book is good but errors are disappointing. Nice review.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Proper citation as you mention is very important for any published work. In addition, a brief history of the author gives him credibility and authority on the issues he discusses. As you pointed out, we don't know if it's just a class assignment he is doing, using abstract ideas. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Thank you for this thought provoking and descriptive review. Politics isn't really my type of interest and the subject matter does not necessarily appeal to me, but I thank you for helping me to make a decision of I wish to pursue this read or not.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

It seems like that this book deals with a wide plethora of subject matters. What could be the unifying theme for the topics? Of course, for a spoiler-less work's sake, I know I need to actually read the book to find out the answers. I just felt compelled to mention that out.

Thank you for your honest review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

I liked your review. Your points were really good. Especially about the plagiarism and the quotation marks. Unfortunately, I think I would be bored with this book. Thank you for the review!
:tiphat:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”