Official Review: How to Build Children with Integrity

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Official Review: How to Build Children with Integrity

Post by LivreAmour217 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "How to Build Children with Integrity" by Karen Budzinski.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Karen Budzinski's How to Build Children with Integrity is a nonfiction work that provides parenting guidance from a Christian perspective. A mother of five children herself, the bulk of the author's advice comes from her own personal experiences, although she also offers a good deal of information gleaned from various books and articles, and of course, the Bible.

How to Build Children with Integrity is a very thorough book that provides a great deal of practical information to parents. The author stresses the importance of teaching children character traits such as contentment, diligence, and consideration (among others). As previously stated, the author's philosophy is grounded in Biblical teachings, but her advice has broad applications that can be appreciated regardless of a family's personal beliefs. The author's goal is less about promoting a religious perspective and more about aiding parents in raising children who are happy, confident, and conscientious (and who doesn't want that?)

The tone of the book is friendly and warm, and the author's dedication to helping others is apparent. The writing is straightforward and easy to understand and a thorough bibliography is provided for readers who wish to delve deeper into her sources.

The quality of the writing itself is fair. I found many small typographical errors, and I noticed an increase in their frequency toward the end of the book. The sheer content of this book has likely presented a challenge for editors, as there is so much material that overlooking mistakes is almost unavoidable. Although I commend the author's thoroughness, a reduction in some of the content could result in fewer errors. This book is so informative that omitting certain parts would not impact its quality. Specifically, I would recommend the removal of some of the material located within the appendices, which are a little repetitive.

While I believe that this book would be largely beneficial to parents, I feel compelled to warn that it may not be for everyone. The author makes it clear that she was raised by loving, attentive parents, and her own parenting was inspired by the good example of her upbringing. However, not everyone has come from such fortunate circumstances, and for readers whose own parents were abusive or negligent, this book may present a standard that they may not feel capable of reaching. This book also does not provide much insight for parents of special needs children. I would suggest that new parents in these situations hold off on reading this book until they are more confident in their own abilities, or perhaps stick to books that are better tailored to their needs.

Overall, How to Build Children with Integrity is a practical resource for parents, and I award it 3 out of 4 stars for its thoroughness, although a four-star rating may have been given if not for the editing concerns. I recommend this book to parents who are confident in their roles and looking for experienced guidance in childrearing.

How to Build Children with Integrity
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like LivreAmour217's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

A book many parents should have regardless of their religion. I believe with its soft tone, many parents will find it useful. And for adults that don't have the kind of upbringing the author had, they can learn a thing or two, if truly they want the best for their children. Thanks for this review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

T_stone wrote: 14 Oct 2018, 16:51 A book many parents should have regardless of their religion. I believe with its soft tone, many parents will find it useful. And for adults that don't have the kind of upbringing the author had, they can learn a thing or two, if truly they want the best for their children. Thanks for this review.
Thank you for reading my review. I agree that this book is very helpful to parents in general, but those who have come from troubled upbringings may need their confidence built up first. It might be a case of “too much, too soon” for some people.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
BLINKYNOEL36
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by BLINKYNOEL36 »

Thank you for a great review. I find it wonderful rescources for parents.
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

BLINKYNOEL36 wrote: 14 Oct 2018, 20:27 Thank you for a great review. I find it wonderful rescources for parents.
Thank you for reading my review. I am very glad that this book has been helpful to you.
writer808
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writer808.html
Latest Review: The Chest of Visions by Tim Ferguson

Post by writer808 »

Seems like a great plot. I would recommend this to parents. It would be a great help
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Yes, this is a very helpful book for parents. Thank you for reading my review!
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

I enjoyed reading this thoughtful review of “How to Build Children with Integrity”. This book seems to be a useful resource of ideas that parents can use and be inspired by. I should imagine it would also be useful for others who are in a role that enables them to influence young lives for the better.
horlamide532
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by horlamide532 »

Thanks for the great review. i found it wonderful resources for parents too build there children with intergrity
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I enjoyed reading your review. I would gently say to be a little careful assuming that those who had tougher childhoods can't benefit from this parenting book. I hope the author did not assert that. Good parenting can be learned to a certain extent, which is why books about parenting can be useful. Thank you for the introduction to this book.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Eva Darrington wrote: 16 Oct 2018, 22:18 I enjoyed reading your review. I would gently say to be a little careful assuming that those who had tougher childhoods can't benefit from this parenting book. I hope the author did not assert that. Good parenting can be learned to a certain extent, which is why books about parenting can be useful. Thank you for the introduction to this book.
Thank you for reading my review. I agree that good parenting can be learned, but sometimes baby steps are necessary, and it’s important to stress that it’s okay to make mistakes. This is a great book, but it could overwhelm new parents who are not confident in their role as caregivers to children.
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

This seems like a resourceful book for parents for raising happy and confident children. Thank you for the well-written review!
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 26 Oct 2018, 07:57 This seems like a resourceful book for parents for raising happy and confident children. Thank you for the well-written review!
Thank you for your kind words! It is a very resourceful book.
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I must admit that the title of this book was immediately off-putting for me. It sounded incredibly impersonal and somewhat cold. One does not "build" children as if they were inanimate objects, you rear them with love and conscientiousness. Reading your review, however, helped me to revise my first impression of the book. From what you have written, it approaches the subject gently but in a specific manner, covering each character trait which is desirable and how to achieve it. If I have understood correctly, the book could very well be a good resource for parents, especially first-time parents. I do agree that the book is not for everyone. Unfortunately, I feel that I fall into that category, but thanks for the enlightening review!
Books are my self-medication. 8)

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”