Official Review: Something Happened Today by Paul E. Kotz

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Something Happened Today by Paul E. Kotz

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Something Happened Today" by Paul E. Kotz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever had a day that you just weren't feeling it? Maybe a day that you just didn't feel like "adulting" any more? We've all been there, whether we admit it or not. Something Happened Today might be just the pick-me-up you're looking for.

Paul E. Kotz has filled this book with lessons he has learned, humorous incidents, apropos sayings and cute stories. The book is about 100 pages split into 8 sections. It's perfect for those days when you're in a hurry as you can pick one short story or saying to read from the most appropriate section. Or it is easy to read all at once.

One of my favorite stories was entitled Let the Light Emerge. The author was trying to start a fire in the fire pit in his yard. He was doing all the proper things but not having any success. His wife, who was of course a girl scout, comes along and uses gentleness to fan the flame. He applies this to our lives in the following way. "If only someone would send a gentle breeze our way, instead of blowing too hard and extinguishing our flame--we might actually burn brighter, and be subjugated to darkness less."

The author has much to share with his audience and does so in a Chicken Soup for the Soul format. This collection helped me to remember to seize the day, to set boundaries and to always pay it forward. The mood was lighthearted and fun while still communicating important truths about life.

However, the sheer number of punctuation errors in this one made my head spin. There were run-on sentences left and right. Commas were missing between two independent clauses and inserted where they didn't belong. In addition, there were a few incorrect words here and there. All in all, it was a bit distracting to the message the author was trying to convey. For example: "Sometimes, a metal ball bearing, or machine part hidden in the grass blades; or those pesky sticks, which generally fell from one of our trees., would cause the mower blades to sputter." A good proofreader or editor would be invaluable in this instance.

Overall, I think many would enjoy the wisdom contained in Something Happened Today. Even so, the lack of editing leaves me rating this book 3 out of 4 stars. If you enjoyed the Chicken Soup for the Soul series, this would definitely be right up your alley. While a bit shorter in nature, the personality of the author shines through, making this one rise to the top.

Something Happened Today
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

I am not a fan of the self-help genre but this one seems like a truly resourceful book. Pity that it contains so many punctuation errors. Thanks for the review!
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

Sounds like a good option. Pity about the grammatical errors tho, but hopefully the wisdom shines through. A convenient book, I think, for when I’m commuting or short of time...and we can all use a bit of self-help now and then! Thanks.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

I think I would go for this one despite the editorial issues. I liked the concept behind the book, and the pieces of wisdom it conveys. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

One of my favorite stories was entitled Let the Light Emerge. The author was trying to start a fire in the fire pit in his yard. He was doing all the proper things but not having any success. His wife, who was of course a girl scout, comes along and uses gentleness to fan the flame. He applies this to our lives in the following way. "If only someone would send a gentle breeze our way, instead of blowing too hard and extinguishing our flame--we might actually burn brighter, and be subjugated to darkness less."
I really love this! As a task-oriented person, I can really relate to being frustrated by the type of day when nothing feels "done." I'm adding this one to my reading list. Thanks for the recommendation and great review!
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Sounds like a book that I could benefit from right now. Thanks for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 25 Sep 2018, 01:30 I am not a fan of the self-help genre but this one seems like a truly resourceful book. Pity that it contains so many punctuation errors. Thanks for the review!
Yes. Normally I can bypass punctuation errors pretty easily. Nevertheless, this one got on my nerves. :) Thanks for your comments.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

sonya01 wrote: 25 Sep 2018, 02:16 Sounds like a good option. Pity about the grammatical errors tho, but hopefully the wisdom shines through. A convenient book, I think, for when I’m commuting or short of time...and we can all use a bit of self-help now and then! Thanks.
Absolutely! There's a lot of wisdom to be gleaned from others if we are willing to listen.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 25 Sep 2018, 03:25 I think I would go for this one despite the editorial issues. I liked the concept behind the book, and the pieces of wisdom it conveys. Thanks for the wonderful review.
You just have to be willing to overlook a few (or several) run-on sentences and misplaced commas. It's worth it, though. :) Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Cecilia_L wrote: 25 Sep 2018, 06:20
I really love this! As a task-oriented person, I can really relate to being frustrated by the type of day when nothing feels "done." I'm adding this one to my reading list. Thanks for the recommendation and great review!
Definitely! :) That story really spoke to me. I hope you enjoy.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

AmySmiles wrote: 25 Sep 2018, 07:10 Sounds like a book that I could benefit from right now. Thanks for the review.
We could all use a bit of a boost from time to time. Thanks :)
—Neil Gaiman
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I love how the author's wife was a girl scout, so of course she came along and fixed is problem. Girl power! Gosh, I haven't read a Chicken Soup for the Soul book in a long time, but I used to really enjoy them. I think this is exactly the kind of book I need to put on my nightstand and read a bit of to let go of the stress of each day. So disappointing about the errors though. They seem to be a bit too extensive to overlook easily.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

kfwilson6 wrote: 25 Sep 2018, 09:34 I love how the author's wife was a girl scout, so of course she came along and fixed is problem. Girl power! Gosh, I haven't read a Chicken Soup for the Soul book in a long time, but I used to really enjoy them. I think this is exactly the kind of book I need to put on my nightstand and read a bit of to let go of the stress of each day. So disappointing about the errors though. They seem to be a bit too extensive to overlook easily.
That would be perfect for this book! It would be great for your nightstand to read a couple of stories before bedtime. Sadly, the errors were a bit excessive. Perhaps the author will have it edited. :)
—Neil Gaiman
Georgia Lyonhyde
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgia-lyonhyde.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Georgia Lyonhyde »

Because of its brevity, I'm likely to pick this book up as a holiday read, particularly if I'm travelling alone and hence needing the 'pick me up'.

I would hope by the time I came to read the book that the author had sorted the errors as that would cause too much distraction for me.
You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
–Paul Sweeney :tiphat:
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

You had me at 'don't feel like adulting'. That's my general persona :lol2: This seems like a solid read - as always, pity about the errors. We all need to be reminded to seize the day every now and again
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”