Official Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Unremembered Victory" by Dennis H. Klein.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The period is 1966-1969 when four thousand soldiers are stationed on the Korean DMZ. Every day heightens their anxiety. The North Korean army is readying itself for an ambush in South Korea, their aim being to assassinate the South Korean president after crushing the line held by the American soldiers. The American soldiers, in turn, most of them just GIs and KATUSAs (ordinary soldiers), have been readying themselves for this day. The North Korean army is, however, a massive power force as compared to the American one. The events surrounding this war are recorded in Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein. An important consideration to keep in mind is that if the American soldiers would have failed, the war fought on the DMZ could have easily grown to be a full-fledged world war. Their grit left a footprint on the land that they fought on and that can be witnessed today.

The best feature of the book is that it sheds light on a part of history that very few, probably too few, know about. With much focus being on the Vietnam War, Dennis H. Klein presents another war that was fought close by. The Korean War lies forgotten without any media recognition. No history books record the victorious actions of these ordinary soldiers who held their ground even when faced with certain death. Many Americans do not realize that such a war was even fought. The Korean War veterans upon returning home received no recognition, worse still, no one even knew about the victory they had attained.

Another great feature of the book is that the author breaks the narrative with poetic verses and song that add depth and flavor to the plot. Dennis H. Klein also includes quotes which reflect the soldiers’ feelings and their outlook. The words contained in the compositions display their relentless attitude even in desolate time.

Most importantly Klein instills the feeling of victory. He shows that even though the soldiers were just ordinary without any special rank, their attitude was enough for them to outwit the opposing side. The author highlights that even the most ordinary of men can do the most extraordinary things when they have a set focus. As proven by the events in the book, his quote, “We are a whole lot better than we are told” stands true.

The book contains a few structural mistakes such as repetition but overall, it is an engaging read that will be appreciated by every veteran who fought in the Korean War. Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein is an informative read not only to lovers of history but to every American citizen. I rate it 3 out of 4 stars.

Unremembered Victory
View: on Bookshelves

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Judging from your review, this book seems to shed light upon an important historical event, one that no one remembers. The author has penned an engaging narrative which is a must if you want to draw readers to historical fiction. Hence, I did not understand why you deducted one star from the rating.
The book contains a few structural mistakes such as repetition but overall, it is an engaging read
Did the repetition bother you so much? In that case, I will like to steer clear from this book. Thanks for the review!
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

I usually am not into books like these, but I think I would like this one. My pap was in the Korean War and your review says about about the book shedding some light on history that some wouldn't know about. I like learning new things.
Mac :techie-reference:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I find it very interesting that the narrative is broken up by poetry. That's not something you see in every book. I also agree that you hear much more about the Vietnam war than that Korean war. so, this would be good to learn about it. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I have seen several books about the Korean War in the last few weeks. It is a war that doesn't get much attention. This book has the advantage of being told from a participant and eyewitness of the events. This looks really good. Thanks for your thoughtful review!
Caroline Anne Richmond
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Bad Intentions
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-anne-richmond.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Caroline Anne Richmond »

This sounds like an interesting insight into the lesser known Korean War. With much attention on the Vietnam war this is an important reminder of another important part of history. Thanks for a great review,
Taiwo_Olawoye
Currently Reading: OldEarth Aram Encounter
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1femi1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Taiwo_Olawoye »

These soldiers are heroes. They fought to ensure tyrants don't have their way. The echoes of the war is still being projected today. Thanks for the review.
Hyacinth Bella
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyacinth-bella.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Hyacinth Bella »

I do not think that I would like this, because firstly I had enough of books about wars, and secondly, I am really not into historical fiction or historical nonfiction. Nevertheless, your review is excellent and detailed the book well. Thanks for the review.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

The book is a historical non-fiction book highlighting war, an unsung victory, North Korea, and breaking the narrative with poetic verses and song. The book is temporarily discounted on Amazon Kindle and has a well-written OnlineBookClub review. Congrats on the BOTD selection.
Luchris_michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-michael.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Luchris_michael »

The perspective of the book is good. It is good to know and learn about our history. I would love to read the book. Thanks for your review.
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

"The Korean War veterans upon returning home received no recognition, worse still, no one even knew about the victory they had attained."
I found this part heartbreaking. War is already a terrible thing and having to endure all the horrors and not even receiving acknowledgement for the sacrifices the soldiers made is sad. I commend the author for writing this book to tell us about the Korean War. While books with war and history are not my cup of tea, I hope people who like the genre enjoy the book. Thank you for the wonderful review!
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

I love war stories, and it would be great to read about the Korean War, which I agree hasn't had or have only very few books about it. Thanks for your review.
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your review. It's true that the Korean War is much less famous than the Vietnam War, so it's good to see that the author is trying to make it known.
asteel18
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asteel18.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by asteel18 »

Very interesting. A perspective on a war most people ignore or might even be surprised it took place. Thanks for the enlightening review.
-Amy
Sopian Hadi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sopian Hadi »

:) :no-spoil: :no-spoil: :no-spoil: I have seen several books about the Korean War in the last few weeks. It is a war that doesn't get much attention. This book has the advantage of being told from a participant and eyewitness of the events. This looks really good. Thanks for your thoughtful review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”