Official Review: The Titanic Effect: Successfully Navigat...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mindi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindi.html
Latest Review: The Lemonade Prescription by Lou Tyner

Official Review: The Titanic Effect: Successfully Navigat...

Post by Mindi » 12 Sep 2019, 12:18

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Titanic Effect: Successfully Navigating the Uncertainties that Sink Most Startups" by Todd Saxton, M. Kim Saxton and Michael Cloran.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Almost everyone has heard stories involving the Titanic and the tragedy behind it. However, in the book The Titanic Effect: Successfully Navigating the Uncertainties that Sink Most Startups, authors Todd Saxton, M. Kim Saxton, and Michael Cloran bring a new light to this tragic story. The purpose of the book is not actually to tell the story of the Titanic. Instead, it uses mostly unknown facts about the business behind Titanic in order to create an understanding of businesses as a whole and how key factors in a business startup will lead to either success or failure.

The book is written with entrepreneurs in mind, as they will surely face the difficulties mentioned when they decide to venture into a business. As they navigate through the writing of this book, the authors use "iceburgs" as the main symbol. They start off by explaining about hidden debts, or "debtburgs," that lurk beneath the surface of any business, just like the huge part of an iceburg that is invisible because it is underneath the water. We only see the big problems or debts in a business, just like the tip of an iceburg. The book then begins to describe the different ways that these debts occur. The four "oceans" that entrepreneurs must navigate through are the Human, Marketing, Technical, and Strategy Oceans. A section of the book is dedicated to each of these oceans in terms of how they may negatively affect a business and ways to avoid creating the "debtburgs" that can easily occur in these areas.

I was very intrigued by this book. I feel like the authors have an immense knowledge of the subject matter. It is obvious by the way that they structure the book and because of the type of symbolism used. They don't just give facts. They thoroughly use examples and bring everything together in a way that a normally bland subject can be understood. The many stories and facts about the Titanic are the main example of how the authors accomplished this task. I was drawn into many of the historical facts about the Titanic and the business of the White Star Line, which was the company that owned the Titanic. Historical facts were interwoven into the book and helped bring the authors' points to life.

I also enjoyed how the authors threw in other well-known figures such as Abraham Lincoln and J.P. Morgan to prove certain points about the history of business concepts. Mini-stories about various people and occurrences were placed throughout the book and brought clarity to many points made by the authors.

The book was edited well. I did not see any mistakes. I have no negative comments. Obviously, the book is geared toward a certain crowd, so everyone may not find the subject matter interesting. However, it is not necessarily only meant for those who know a lot about business. I, myself, do not have a vast knowledge of the business world. I am interested in learning more, though, and this book is a huge help for those who are looking to learn more about business startups. With the amount of Titanic history in it, it also would be interesting to those who are just interested in learning some historical facts.

I have decided to rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. It is a very thorough and researched book that I believe would be a tremendous help to many people. I encourage any entrepreneurs or history lovers to check out this book!

The Titanic Effect: Successfully Navigating the Uncertainties that Sink Most Startups
View: on Bookshelves

corinaelena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: How to Define Yourself by Chuck Clifton

Post by corinaelena » 15 Sep 2019, 10:46

This book has a very interesting premise. I am actually intrigued by the idea of seeing the Titanic in such a new light. Great review!

Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 » 15 Sep 2019, 11:07

This sounds like a very intriguing book with a unique theme. Thank you for your review! Great job
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:

Ever_Reading
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 9
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading: Hunting for silence
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ever-reading.html
Latest Review: The Adventures Of Spongeball Billy by Tom Pavia (Creator)
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ever_Reading » 15 Sep 2019, 11:27

As soon as I hear Titanic, I automatically think of tragedy and romance. What a refreshing perspective the author has taken here. I definitely have to check this one out. Great review, mate! :tiphat:
Here’s to books, the cheapest vacation you can buy.
— Charlaine Harris :techie-studyingbrown:

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 77
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 308
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Forever Will End: Gospel of Chaos Book One by Dom Brandt

Post by kandscreeley » 15 Sep 2019, 18:14

This book sounds like a great guide for new business owners. I don't fit the bill, though. It still seems interesting, but I just don't have time for it right now. Thanks.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

Bhaskins
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 90
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Bhaskins » 16 Sep 2019, 11:21

I think this sounds really interesting! I love books about business that can be read by a normal non business person like myself.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling

Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Neighbour At Number 18 (Reload) by Hawa Crickmore

Post by Ekta Swarnkar » 16 Sep 2019, 11:49

It is not anything at all like "The Titanic Movie", and that makes me curious about it. Great review!
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:

Nizar Ali Shah
Currently Reading: Tourist Trap
Bookshelf Size: 76

Post by Nizar Ali Shah » 16 Sep 2019, 13:41

The Titanic Effect : Successfully Navigating the uncertainties that sink most startups" startups, authors Todd Saxton, M.Kin Saxton, and Michael Cloran bring a new light to this tragic story.The purpose of the book is not actually meant or to tell the story of the Titan rather it actually explains how businesses can be made successful.In other words how entrepreneurs can make business successful.The book is written entrepreneurs in mind and tells that how the business initiators would face the situation when there is a failures. This book is a nice guide for the new business owners.As a whole the book is useful for the general readers

rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Long About Ten Years by Paul O. Snawder, Vera Hensley, Carol Wooten

Post by rumik » 16 Sep 2019, 14:52

I guess this book would be great for those interested in starting a business. I'll pass, though. Thanks for the great review!

Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Ink Spills
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Chubby Wubbles by M. J. Abrams

Post by Rachel Lea » 17 Sep 2019, 10:19

This sounds like a well-written and very helpful book for those in the business world! I like how the authors are able to use the image of "icebergs" so effectively. Thanks for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:

Kabui-nj
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kabui-nj.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Kabui-nj » 17 Sep 2019, 12:18

The title is interesting and capturing. I will love to read this book.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 104
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Deadly Waters
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: True Grit and Grace by Amberly Lago

Post by kdstrack » 20 Sep 2019, 20:06

This is a very creative way to help entrepreneurs. The unique examples are sure to stick in peoples' minds as they go about setting up their business. I love this author's way of "teaching."

sunmuth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunmuth.html
Latest Review: Big Things Have Small Beginnings by Wes Berry

Post by sunmuth » 29 Sep 2019, 16:18

Even though I'm not strictly speaking an entrepreneur, I love reading non-fiction books about businesses and productivity. I think this book approaches a saturated genre of book from a new perspective and I'd be interested in checking it out!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”