The Gary-Michelle pairing

Use this forum to discuss the July 2021 Book of the month, " Worldlines: A Many Worlds Novel" (Many Worlds, #1)" by Adam Guest
revathy sw
Favorite Book: The Wind in the Willows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revathy-sw.html
Latest Review: Mithra by John M. Rattenbury

The Gary-Michelle pairing

Post by revathy sw »

What do you think about the relationship between Gary and Michelle? Did you feel a genuine connection between them?

I felt like he was attracted to her mainly for her looks, given the number of times he mentions them. While there is nothing wrong with appreciating your partner's looks, I felt like Michelle's physical attractiveness factored a bit too much into why Gary wanted to date her. This was especially true of Gary in the Black Line, and to a lesser extent, Gary in the Red Line.

I generally didn't feel any chemistry between them. Their conversations felt a bit bland. It was only in the case of the Gary in the Blue Line that I felt a true genuine love for Michelle in how distraught he was at her death.

Was it just me who felt this way, or did you love their romantic pairing?
Just an average book-lover bumbling through life :tiphat:
Jona00baka
Favorite Book: How To Be Successful
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jona00baka.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Jona00baka »

The romantic chemistry between two people is triggered by appearance first. As you get along, you begin to learn the innate behavior of your partner. So Gary and Michelle are really in love. The complements that Gary makes about her and her flexibility to him show how they are romantically pairing.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

revathy sw wrote: 27 Jul 2021, 09:29 What do you think about the relationship between Gary and Michelle? Did you feel a genuine connection between them?

I felt like he was attracted to her mainly for her looks, given the number of times he mentions them. While there is nothing wrong with appreciating your partner's looks, I felt like Michelle's physical attractiveness factored a bit too much into why Gary wanted to date her. This was especially true of Gary in the Black Line, and to a lesser extent, Gary in the Red Line.

I generally didn't feel any chemistry between them. Their conversations felt a bit bland. It was only in the case of the Gary in the Blue Line that I felt a true genuine love for Michelle in how distraught he was at her death.

I agree with you. Her looks definitely played a big role in Gary's relationship with Michelle.
But, when I saw that they shared a love of travelling for one, I though,perhaps it's okay. Not all relationships have to have fiery passion between them.
And many couple don't even have as much as physical attraction between them.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
ROSEY-ANN
Favorite Book: Winning the War on Cancer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roseyann.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by ROSEY-ANN »

zainherb wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 07:28
revathy sw wrote: 27 Jul 2021, 09:29 What do you think about the relationship between Gary and Michelle? Did you feel a genuine connection between them?

I agree with you. Her looks definitely played a big role in Gary's relationship with Michelle.
But, when I saw that they shared a love of travelling for one, I though,perhaps it's okay. Not all relationships have to have fiery passion between them.
And many couple don't even have as much as physical attraction between them.
The statements regarding Michelle's physical appearance and Gary being attracted to her on this basis definitely stood out. It may have come across as them having a superficial relationship. I do think that Gary-Michelle were attracted to each other for other reasons. They both were outgoing. Gary also made it clear that he understood Michelle well. For example when he would choose to let her have quiet time after work. Michelle also seemed to understand both of their financial situations in terms of the choice of accommodation. Separate and apart from the tragic incident the Gary- Michelle pairing worked well. However, the relationship seemed bland at times.
ROSEY-ANN
Favorite Book: Winning the War on Cancer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roseyann.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by ROSEY-ANN »

Jona00baka wrote: 27 Jul 2021, 13:46 The romantic chemistry between two people is triggered by appearance first. As you get along, you begin to learn the innate behavior of your partner. So Gary and Michelle are really in love. The complements that Gary makes about her and her flexibility to him show how they are romantically pairing.
This is true in many cases but not in all. I do agree with the statement that they were in love and this was demonstrated by the extent to which they both made changes in order to make each other happy.
JodieLKM
Favorite Book: The Biblical Clock
Currently Reading: Solaris seethes
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jodielkm.html
Latest Review: Mirrored Worlds by Tayma Tameem
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by JodieLKM »

I think physical appearance attracts most people. Gary was hung up on looks a lot. With Michelle or Sinead, he tended to comment on looks more than mind or personality. This allows me to believe he was stuck on appearance rather than connections until he was in jail. I wonder though, did he feel 'broken' because he loved her, or because he could not understand his situation. I kind of feel this affected him more.
elouie44
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by elouie44 »

I kind of agree with you, but that just might be because I don't like Michelle all that much, hence not liking their relationship either. What really made me dislike her was how she rejected him in the second worldline I believe when he got injured (and ended up being with Sinead instead). But then again like you said he was extremely distressed when she died and referred to her as his soulmate, so he must have loved her to some degree.
yomide
Currently Reading: We are voulhire
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yomide.html
Latest Review: The Scarlet Queen: by Mitch Reinhardt

Post by yomide »

Jona00baka wrote: 27 Jul 2021, 13:46 The romantic chemistry between two people is triggered by appearance first. As you get along, you begin to learn the innate behavior of your partner. So Gary and Michelle are really in love. The complements that Gary makes about her and her flexibility to him show how they are romantically pairing.
I couldn't agree more. Gary really was attracted to Michelle because of her looks. But then throughout the book, I don't see any thing but genuine love between them.
There is no point in trying to please a person who doesn't apreciate me. Besides, why do I have to try and please anyone in the first place?
yomide
Currently Reading: We are voulhire
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yomide.html
Latest Review: The Scarlet Queen: by Mitch Reinhardt

Post by yomide »

In truth i dont see those two staying together till death-do-us-part. There is no 100% compatibility for them. Although the looks is somthing, it will fade and what will Gary do then? However, i think Gary is more compartible with Sinead.
There is no point in trying to please a person who doesn't apreciate me. Besides, why do I have to try and please anyone in the first place?
Soumya Chauhan
Currently Reading: The Haunting Of RookeryNook Manor
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soumya-chauhan.html
Latest Review: Portals by Jon Zimmer

Post by Soumya Chauhan »

I agree with you on the fact that Gary was attracted to Michelle mostly because of her looks and honesty I didn't feel any romantic chemistry between them either.
Latest Review: Portals by Jon Zimmer
Emidio Inocencio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio-inocencio.html
Latest Review: Diamond J&G Manor Parlay Gambling House by Sylvie L Gionet
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 2%

Post by Emidio Inocencio »

I did feel also that Gary was much more connected with Michele's looks. He seems to not believe that a person like got to date the kind of girl he was dating. Therefore, I don't the same from the side of Michele, she appears to like him for what he is. Relationships aren't easy to gasp though
ReaderAisha2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readeraisha2020.html
Latest Review: Your Adventurous Life Awaits by Maryann Remsberg and Brian Remsberg

Post by ReaderAisha2020 »

In the beginning I thought that he was connected with Michelle due to her looks, and I thought he would be better with Sinead because they were friends. However, the end of the story seems to leave everything back to Michelle and I felt a strong love between them that seemed to remain no matter what. When I saw the worldline did not really work with Michelle it seemed that they were meant to ve just friends. Maybe to be more than only friends you do have to be physically attracted to a partner
Katie Blackmore
Favorite Book: The Glass Castle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katie-blackmore.html
Latest Review: The Light of Canopus by Frasar

Post by Katie Blackmore »

I agree, his connection with Michelle felt like it was based on appearance instead of interests and personality. To be honest ( and I know how stereotypical this sounds), I just put it down as it being because the author is male. Just from previous books, I feel female authors focus on the emotional connection and male authors on the physical connection.
Alice Festo
Favorite Book: Deceitful Survival
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-festo.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Alice Festo »

I share the same sentiments, I think Gary was attracted to Michelle because of her physical appearance. I believe Sinead to be more connected to him as the two shared their personal stories and we're more relaxed around each other.
Christine Joy G 1
Favorite Book: How To Be Successful
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-joy-g-1.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Christine Joy G 1 »

Appearance do matter but Gary feels like he just fell in love with Michelle because of her looks in the first place. Relationship shouldn't based on looks, it should have been deeper connection, like being comfortable and at ease like with Sinead.

Return to “Discuss "Worldlines" by Adam Guest”