What if we had a way to transport our self to other worldlines!

Use this forum to discuss the July 2021 Book of the month, " Worldlines: A Many Worlds Novel" (Many Worlds, #1)" by Adam Guest
Elon Gathungu
Favorite Book: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elon-gathungu.html
Latest Review: Red Wave Imperative by Alan Schein

Re: What if we had a way to transport our self to other worldlines!

Post by Elon Gathungu »

I won't lie the prospect of being able to jump ship to another worldline when things are not rosy is mindblowing. But I think the result of such arrangements would be chaotic. Most of the people changing worldlines would be leaving a negative situation behind. How then will they be held accountable for what that leaves behind? The would be no consequences to one's actions as long as you can convince another version of you to switch places.
Fahad Afroz
Currently Reading: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fahad-baibras.html
Latest Review: Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life by Jim Santos

Post by Fahad Afroz »

In my personal opinion this would eventually lead to chaos as no one would ever act responsibly if given a chance to exchange the worlds they live in, But yeah it would be way cooler if we did it the way Gary does in the novel. Just sneaking in and messing every thing up!!
Fahad Afroz

Post by Fahad Afroz »

The argument of whether this theory is true or not is debatable, but one argument that the Professor made went something like this" We are making conscious memories while being in an unconscious state" is very strong in favour of this theory being true. what do you guys think about it?
Fahad Afroz

Post by Fahad Afroz »

nina soledad wrote: 15 Jul 2021, 01:15 Maybe, the concept of transporting from one Worldline to another could become possible in the future. However, for me, i do not like it to happen. I think that it would create more negative implications rather than positive results. What if your other self in the other Worldline is manipulative and evil? Imagine how dangerous that would be? Also, just like in the novel Worldline, what if you accidentally mess up the life of the other version of yourself while visiting another Worldline? Will you be able to live peacefully knowing that your other version is suffering because of your mistake? The list of possible consequences could go on. Some could be pleasant, but there will still be negative results. Furthermore, regardless of how many Worldlines and versions you have, it would just go back to how good you are in making your choices in life and ability to overcome life's challenges.
Well said, in the end its all just about how good you are at handling problems in your life as you wont be swaping your skills and mindset with the other version of you!
Fahad Afroz

Post by Fahad Afroz »

Sheilaread wrote: 15 Jul 2021, 01:06 This is a very interesting and intriguing topic. I’m a very creative and searching type person. I would love to explore this idea with a few hard and fast rules/promises in place. That if things start going really bad or into a very weird place, I always have the option to return to this current life. This would just be a trial run.
So you are saying you would mess everything up for your 'otherself' and then come back, what if the other person is also travelling just for trial purposes and messes everything for you in your universe?
collinsogw555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by collinsogw555 »

Yes, indeed, our consciousness sometimes shifts when we sleep. I wouldn't want to exchange myself with the other world line because I don't know what they are capable of doing. I will just have to keep my world line.
Anamary Lasso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anamary-lasso.html
Latest Review: My Living Will by John Trautwein

Post by Anamary Lasso »

I find this topic extremely intriguing. Traveling to other worlds can be an amazing experience but it’s important to not use it to dissociate from our current reality. In the end, reality is an illusion, therefore we have more control over it than we may think. :tiphat:
Ana C Barrantes
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-c-barrantes.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Ana C Barrantes »

To me, it feels like a double-edged sword. I would love to visit other versions of the universe and find out how exactly they are different and way. It makes possibilities endless. But, I don't think I'd want to know who I was in that other line because I could hate who I am or like it more than my current self. The thought of that is scary to me.
Book Dragoness
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-dragoness.html
Latest Review: Dagger's Destiny by Linnea Tanner

Post by Book Dragoness »

I do hope that travelling through worldliness via lucid dreaming never becomes reality. Why? Because I do not want some random alternate reality of myself messing up my current life (like the blackline gary did to the blue line gary) in the name of lucid dreaming.

If lucid dreaming is real, it's a very dangerous system that can be abused by many who are ware of it.
Writerbee1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writerbee1.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Writerbee1 »

Worldline dealt with a modern sci-fi concept through the filters of lucid dreaming and dementia as portals to parallel universes. I know we've all thought about those moments when, had we not stopped at the store or been a few minutes earlier to an event, we might have been involved in tragedy. I know I've felt that a few times, such as driving through extremely heavy rain on a long drive and finding out on the news that in an exact spot on that roadway we drove on, a family van was swept away in a flash flood not 20 minutes later.
Wesley Friday
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesley-friday.html
Latest Review: Bar Maid by Daniel Roberts

Post by Wesley Friday »

Allowing for the ability to move between one worldline and the other might be a recipe for chaos in my oipnion. if not on the greater level, then at least on the personal level. First repercussion is that there will be marked differences between what you think you know (as a result of earlier life) and what is the reality in your new worldline. Relationships between people may differ, your perfect worldline may in fact be a leeway for another character that's unexcited about your progression.
Imagine leaving your family and friends to deal with a shittier version of yourself just so you can be supposedly happy in another world with another version of a family you barely know. This idea would require an enormous amount of selfishness on the part of participants to be able to execute it (I mean Rick and Morty type of selfishness).
I think it would be best to make other worldlines simply observable and not alterable or interactive.
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

This is an interesting question. I believe people would rather change their worldlines than commit suicide. For me, I would stay in my own worldline, as am living my best life here and have no idea of changing.
Moray_001
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moray-001.html
Latest Review: Of All Faiths & None by Andrew Tweeddale

Post by Moray_001 »

Transportation to different worldlines would be interesting but it may have some side effects. For example, disruption of the future, simultaneous existence in the same dimension, etc.
Muna Chizzy
Currently Reading: Gardening With Guns
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muna-chizzy.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Muna Chizzy »

I think it will be a thrilling experience going to other worldlines, but for me it won't change anything because i think it will be the same, we humans have the power to make or mar our situation. So am only going to know how other worldliness look like.
Elena Nechita
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elena-nechita.html
Latest Review: Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol by J.L. Haynes

Post by Elena Nechita »

Not that I think my life couldn't be better, but I am content with it so if different worldlines woulf exist I would only want to maybe check them out. It would be nice to know what other versions of me are out there, but not take their place. Because I'm thinking that I would never be content with one worldline, knowing there could be a better one I could go to.

Return to “Discuss "Worldlines" by Adam Guest”