What if we had a way to transport our self to other worldlines!

Use this forum to discuss the July 2021 Book of the month, " Worldlines: A Many Worlds Novel" (Many Worlds, #1)" by Adam Guest
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Re: What if we had a way to transport our self to other worldlines!

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

Surabhi Rimmi wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 03:50 ...just call a dealer who will note down the kind of worldline you desire, search for it, talk to your replica about the deal and if he agrees, the dealer will exchange your worldlines. Like in a barter system, both the parties will have to agree to exchange their worldline and the dealer will act as an intermediary.
...don't you think this is very possible in future?
Can you think of some repercussions of this kind of system? Or do you have a better and smooth idea about the same? Furthermore, what kind of worldline would you choose to live in if this facility comes true?
I'm thinking of a spin-off in the series with a lighter mood in the story. The concept of a barter/dealer system sounds cool. Someday, if someone can perfectly create a time machine or something similar, I will choose to live in a worldline where I am someplace away from my country. Maybe my other self successfully managed to travel around the world, and I'm sure she will be willing to exchange worlds with me. I can only daydream about it (for now).
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I love the idea of "swapping lives" with a replica but what if they do not want to "return" my life back to me, breaching our agreement or contract? I am fascinated by the idea but it will definitely come back with negatives repercussions that's for sure!
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

Although it would be interesting, this would propel everyone into a vortex and nothing would get done. There would be a lot of should woulda coulda.
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Post by lavkathleen »

Wow, I can feel your excitement from over here. :lol2: I'm the type that doesn't like to interrupt the natural order of things, at least at first. I feel like doing your suggestions is just asking for trouble :lol2: like there will be severe repercussions because we tried to go against the wishes of the universe. I can't deny that it's intriguing, though. But it's too... convenient. Too good to be true. That's probably why I had a bad feeling.
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Troy Barnes wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 12:28 This is such a great idea for a book or a movie. I can't deny it would be overwhelming exciting to be able to switch lives to a better existence. I would love to switch to a world where I am overwhelmingly successful and I don't have to struggle for anything again
Ooooh, I can imagine it turning into a movie! But it has exciting, bright vibes that doesn't fit the novel nor its plot. It could be a spin-off! Anyway, I still think that it's too good to be true and the universe will find a way to return things to balance.
Kathleen Lavador

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Amanda Dobson wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 15:55 I don’t know if I would want to change if it was even possible. We are the ones that can make what we have better or not. Now who is to say that if we were able to change that it would be any better? We are who we are through our experiences so if you were able to change how much would it actually change because you are still the same just in a new circumstance.
Did OP mean change out personalities and virtues? I thought the aim was to only change the circumstances that we're in for the better. Like transferring yourself to an environment you like better. Gosh, the more I think about it, the more I can think of the different ways this could backfire. :lol2:
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

yomide wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 21:10 If there were a tchnonogy that would enable efficient teleportation through the worldline? I would give anything to use it. Just the idea of visiting various version of myself in a differnt place that is also the same as mine has me excited. Again, I would give anything to use in fact own that piece of technology.
There has to be some rules or whatnot for this because I'm just imagining millions of people visiting themselves across different worldlines and it's so chaotic and overwhelming. Like, the world as we know it would not be functioning as it is. Also, my gut is telling me that this is not something that we should do. :lol2:
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

ROSEYANN wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 14:57 Lucid dreaming was an interesting concept in Worldlines. I am risk-averse so impacting other worldlines, not my cup of tea.
Aah, I'm the same. Not that much, though; I still recognize that being able to transport to other worldlines has its benefits. I just disagree with switching places with our other versions because I have a bad feeling that it would cause so much trouble... in a very large scale.
Kathleen Lavador

DTamara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtamara.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by DTamara »

I guess the core of your being would stay the same, but you wouldn't necessarily be the same person, as in you will likely develop differently in a different environment. As human beings, I believe we are changing constantly, in a very continuous way. I would agree on the exchange if not memories of the old world remain, since regret is the worst thing to live with, and it might be the case.
Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ailakhu-yusau-aizhebiomon.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic

Post by Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon »

The concept of worldline is a great idea of imagination. However, if it happens for real, I would not hesitate to indulge in it to experience different worlds and lifestyles. This would be definitely be a wonderful experience.
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

nina soledad wrote: 15 Jul 2021, 01:15 Maybe, the concept of transporting from one Worldline to another could become possible in the future. However, for me, i do not like it to happen. I think that it would create more negative implications rather than positive results. What if your other self in the other Worldline is manipulative and evil? Imagine how dangerous that would be? Also, just like in the novel Worldline, what if you accidentally mess up the life of the other version of yourself while visiting another Worldline? Will you be able to live peacefully knowing that your other version is suffering because of your mistake? The list of possible consequences could go on. Some could be pleasant, but there will still be negative results. Furthermore, regardless of how many Worldlines and versions you have, it would just go back to how good you are in making your choices in life and ability to overcome life's challenges.
Same! I don't have a good feeling about it, although of course there are also benefits. Regarding making your choices, that's true but fate also comes in play. You might also have the same fate as blueline!Gary, who still got convicted no matter how much he's proved his innocence. OP probably wanted to give people a chance to escape that kind of thing by switching places with other versions of you. :D
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Agnes Masobeng wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 15:53 As long as there won't be any negative consequences like forgetting people who mean the world to you in your current worldliness. Or losing some or all of your best skills. Or maybe change in personality when you change to another version of you in a different wordline, I can definitely change with pleasure
Kind of like, possible side effects of long-term transport, huh. :lol2: These weren't discussed in the book, though, but of course it would be really interesting if the author also explored this. But dang... what's the point of switching places if at some point you forget the reason why you switch places in the first places... what if you just end up wanting to switch places again?
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Lunastella wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 18:04 I think it depends on the person. Personally, I would probably do it because I'm a very curious person, but I could end up feeling dissatisfied with my real life, or who know? Vice versa.
I wonder what visiting different worldlines would do to our sense of self, too. But it would be fascinating.
Yes! I just read someone talking about possibly forgetting about our previous self and world, etc. Regarding curiousity... dang, I could just ask the other versions of myself if I could switch with them for a while! Notify everyone about it, too 'cause it would also affect them. It would be nice to ask around, too. Kind of like going on a vacation trip to another country, except it's another worldline. :lol2:
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

yomide wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 22:18 I absolutely agree. Who is to know how much will change if one switch to another version of oneself. After all, no matter what universe one switch to, no matter what worldline one end up, you are still you. And you will definitely make the same decisions you would have made, no matter where you switch to.
Oooohh! That's such a good point! You might've changed your circumstance, but at one point or another, it would be a different version of you affecting that world. Therefore, the fate destined for that worldline would also change! You might even suffer the same way as you did from your previous worldline! :lol2: What a loophole.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Sheilaread wrote: 15 Jul 2021, 01:06 This is a very interesting and intriguing topic. I’m a very creative and searching type person. I would love to explore this idea with a few hard and fast rules/promises in place. That if things start going really bad or into a very weird place, I always have the option to return to this current life. This would just be a trial run.
Good idea. :lol2: I doubt if that would work, though. It sounds too convenient and easy, I feel like wanting it to be more difficult. :lol2: There should always be a catch. Maybe just having the *unique* ability to take yourself back to your original worldline. It's just you.
Kathleen Lavador

Return to “Discuss "Worldlines" by Adam Guest”