Ending?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2021 Book of the month, " Worldlines: A Many Worlds Novel" (Many Worlds, #1)" by Adam Guest
Shannon Ruane
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shannon-ruane.html
Latest Review: The Alex Cave Series Book 5. Pandora’s Eyes by James M. Corkill
Reading Device: B07F2TKPFN

Re: Ending?

Post by Shannon Ruane »

Worldlines was my first review for this website. I agree with yomide regarding the ending being unsatisfactory while addressing the plot. It seemed rushed and the ending seemed too short compared with the rest of the book. The solution to their problem seemed to fall into their laps to push the situation forward instead of them slowly finding the solution. I disliked starting new plotlines at the end to create interest in reading a sequel. (It worked because I want to read the sequel).
Emilia Sieminska
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilia-sieminska.html
Latest Review: Like a Lily Among the Thorns by Karen S. Bell

Post by Emilia Sieminska »

Personally, I didn't like the ending, but I think it suits the plot very well. It shows the complex character of the multiverse and opens possibilities for other worldlines.
yomide
Currently Reading: We are voulhire
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yomide.html
Latest Review: The Scarlet Queen: by Mitch Reinhardt

Post by yomide »

Wesusa wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 11:34
yomide wrote: 07 Jul 2021, 10:54 The ending might kind of seem unsatisfactory. However, the story ending in differently in the worldlines suited the concept of the novel. Besides, i think the main purpose of the story is to introduce the many worlds theory in an exciting manner (which Adam Guest did a really good job at), it is only perfect for the book to end in a many worlds kind of way.
I too agree with this. It was kind of unsatisfactory- I just think that way mostly because I can't fathom a sequel to this story. What else is there to happen?
Well we are about to find out. Although I seriously don't see what more is thee to talk about but the book ending in such manner definitely says there is more to be said. Well we are about to find out, aren't we?
There is no point in trying to please a person who doesn't apreciate me. Besides, why do I have to try and please anyone in the first place?
Vidhi Adhikari
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: True Teryn
Bookshelf Size: 280
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vidhi-adhikari.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Vidhi Adhikari »

Wesusa wrote: 02 Jul 2021, 17:52 I just finished the book, and I was a bit baffled by how it ended. It was a bit strange because I really expected this to be a singular entry in a "Twilight Zone" kind of way, each of the books having separate stories. Either way, what did you think of the ending? I thought it was alright, but I hope that the series doesn't draw out for too long. All good ideas should be used in moderation. :tiphat:
Would have loved it if Gary from another worldline would have dropped in the prison cell of the convicted Gary. The ending was slightly disappointing because of of its simplicity, but still a definite page turner.
Rwill0988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 499
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rwill0988.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by Rwill0988 »

I thought the ending was well done. It reinforced the idea of the worldlines. If in each line there is a different decision made, it is nice to see the ending split between two possible outcomes.
“Give me a man or woman who has read a thousand books and you give me an interesting companion. Give me a man or woman who has read perhaps three and you give me a very dangerous enemy indeed.” ~ The Witching Hour by Anne Rice
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Post by lavkathleen »

Aaahh! That's such a good idea! But I don't think it would've worked the same way the book did. :eusa-think: The ending was more than alright for me, I love how heartbreaking it was. Whether or not it would be drawn out for too long... I want to read the second book to see where the author is trying to take it.
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Neenu B_S wrote: 03 Jul 2021, 02:22 Despite feeling unsatisfied with Gary's fate in one worldline, I thought the ending was perfect and suited the concept well. Since there are infinite number of worldlines, it won't be possible to connect to all of them.
Where you unsatisfied because he still ended up getting convicted? :lol2: I was hurt but I wasn't unsatisfied. As for the infinity... I guess I never really focused and let the word sink in... I thought it would be really interesting to see it but now, you're right it would be impossible.
Kathleen Lavador

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 03 Jul 2021, 03:27 I loved the ending! The author managed to give closure by presenting the possibility of a different outcome. The reader can choose the one that suits him/ her best!
That's a nice way of looking at it. I can't choose, though, knowing that they're still different people. They may belong to different worldlines but they're still part of one universe. But I do love how the author showed the different possible outcomes! I guess that's how I see the ending.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Wesusa wrote: 03 Jul 2021, 10:36 I think that that's an excellent way of looking at it; I suppose I was dissatisfied with what was given as a whole, seeing as I already had an expectation of what the novels would be like beforehand.
Did you read spoilers? There's no way I could've predicted that ending. :eusa-think: In fact, it really caught me off guard; I was really rooting for blueline!Gary. What kind of ending would you rather have? I thought it was already beautiful for how heartbreaking it was.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

jomana_3 wrote: 03 Jul 2021, 14:15 I absolutely loved the ending. It was satisfying and neat. It also made sense since different outcomes can happen in different worldlines.
Same here! I was shocked to see others say that it was unsatisfying. I probably shouldn't be, though, since everyone has their own taste. Anyway, for some reason, I wasn't expecting that the author would show possible outcomes on that many worldlines. :doh: The one that shocked me the most, though, was blueline!Gary's fate.
Kathleen Lavador

elouie44
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by elouie44 »

I liked the ending; it was probably my favorite part of the book. Yeah, his life didn't go the way he wanted it to in one worldline, but in another it does. That's the point of the whole book, that there are these different worldlines with all different possibilities. I thought it was cool that it ended with Michelle, showing that in another world maybe things do turn out alright.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I liked the ending. I knew there were four worldlines, and I kept looking for the fourth one to show up. I’m not much for investing in a series, and I probably won’t read the sequel, so the green line gave me hope that Sinead would finally have a relationship with Gary that was more reciprocal: one where she would not be taken for granted or have to endure being choked by a creep. I was also glad that Mary got to see a positive outcome for Gary.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
yomide

Post by yomide »

Shannon Ruane wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 08:12 Worldlines was my first review for this website. I agree with yomide regarding the ending being unsatisfactory while addressing the plot. It seemed rushed and the ending seemed too short compared with the rest of the book. The solution to their problem seemed to fall into their laps to push the situation forward instead of them slowly finding the solution. I disliked starting new plotlines at the end to create interest in reading a sequel. (It worked because I want to read the sequel).
The solutions didnt exactly fall into their laps (maybe it did). The point is if the author tried your suggestion of slowly finding the solution, the book would get boring and, parsonnally, difficult to complet. And besides, the sequel is probably the end game of the unsatisfactory part of the ending.
There is no point in trying to please a person who doesn't apreciate me. Besides, why do I have to try and please anyone in the first place?
yomide

Post by yomide »

Shannon Ruane wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 08:12 Worldlines was my first review for this website. I agree with yomide regarding the ending being unsatisfactory while addressing the plot. It seemed rushed and the ending seemed too short compared with the rest of the book. The solution to their problem seemed to fall into their laps to push the situation forward instead of them slowly finding the solution. I disliked starting new plotlines at the end to create interest in reading a sequel. (It worked because I want to read the sequel).
The solutions didnt exactly fall into their laps (maybe it did). The point is if the author tried your suggestion of slowly finding the solution, the book would get boring and, parsonnally, difficult to complet. And besides, the sequel is probably the end game of the unsatisfactory part of the ending.
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Cazrichmond wrote: 05 Jul 2021, 06:17 I liked the ending, it suited the premise of the story. It shows that there can be several different outcomes with different worldlines.
For some reason, I was still shocked that it ended the way it did. :lol2: I was so focused on how they're figuring out how to prove blueline!Gary's innocence. I'd say I forgot about the other worldlines but... I really wasn't expecting the author to be that cruel. And I love it because of that! It made sense.
Kathleen Lavador

Return to “Discuss "Worldlines" by Adam Guest”