Ending?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2021 Book of the month, " Worldlines: A Many Worlds Novel" (Many Worlds, #1)" by Adam Guest
Hunter Tester
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Silent Patient
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hunter-tester.html
Latest Review: Whale of Wonder by Marie-Paule Mahoney

Re: Ending?

Post by Hunter Tester »

I didn’t think it was necessary to have an additional worldline where he was innocent in court. It would make more sense if there was one dominant worldline. When the case went in both directions, it’s hard to tell what the true ending is.

Also, the teaser for the sequel is confusing. It says he is guilty still for the crime. When we also saw that he is innocent, so which is it?
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

I think the ending is quite appropriate. It's less likely that Blue Gary can prove his innocence, given people's knowledge about the multi-world theory. Similarly, unless the multi-world theory, Black Gary won't be able to help his Blue Line's self, but at least he has the heart to amend things in his own world. Still, I think Red Line is not really necessary, since it will make the story more confusing.
fridamadrid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fridamadrid.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by fridamadrid »

I think it ended the way it should have ended. What happened is the thing that made most sense. However I felt like I would have liked something a bit different, but it maybe would have felt wrong or inadequate. So, overall I think the ending was right.
yomide
Currently Reading: We are voulhire
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yomide.html
Latest Review: The Scarlet Queen: by Mitch Reinhardt

Post by yomide »

I will say its a requiment. A many worlds book should end LIKE a many worlds book. Different ending in every different worldline is only perfect for a many worldlines story.
There is no point in trying to please a person who doesn't apreciate me. Besides, why do I have to try and please anyone in the first place?
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

Troy Barnes wrote: 06 Jul 2021, 10:24 The ending was a bit disappointing to me as blue line Gary suffered for a crime he didn't commit and black line Gary got to move on with his life, even discovering new opportunities for good things. It all felt very unfair.
The ending was a bit disappointing to me too. But there will be a next book. Poor Gary's story isn't over yet.
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Post by Wesusa »

Fahad Baibras wrote: 04 Jul 2021, 23:39 I would say the ending was best suited for the idea. Its upto you that which fate of Gary from which universe would you like to remember, I only remember the ending where Gary was released of all charges.
I genuinely think this is the best way of looking at it. I have stated previously that I am very surprised that this book is getting a sequel. I just didn't think this one would be suited to having one.
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I did like the ending. It was unexpected and a little bit incongruous. There will be many Worldliines branching off of it and there can be many possible outcomes for each.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I did like the ending. It was unexpected and a little bit incongruous. There will be many Worldliines branching off of it and there can be many possible outcomes for each.
yomide

Post by yomide »

Hunter_T wrote: 07 Jul 2021, 12:30 I didn’t think it was necessary to have an additional worldline where he was innocent in court. It would make more sense if there was one dominant worldline. When the case went in both directions, it’s hard to tell what the true ending is.

Also, the teaser for the sequel is confusing. It says he is guilty still for the crime. When we also saw that he is innocent, so which is it?
That is the ending. I mean it is a many world novel, you cant expect it to end with one worldline. Theoretically, there have to be an infinte outcome for the case. And there will be other worldines where Gary plead guilty, others where he might even commit sucide. In short, the story can not end with a dominant reality.
There is no point in trying to please a person who doesn't apreciate me. Besides, why do I have to try and please anyone in the first place?
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

I was very surprised by the ending because I didn't think he was going to get locked up. I was actually sad for him for having to go to jail, so it was perfect that there was a scene where Gary in another worldline did not end up in prison.
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhyarnaaman.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

The ending was apt for the book as it was in sync with the multiverse theory, Gary of different worlds facing different outcomes. That has been the core of the story. had it been only one ending across the timelines, I would have been dissatisfied.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.
By Rob White
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
yomide

Post by yomide »

Sou Hi wrote: 08 Jul 2021, 04:47 I think the ending is quite appropriate. It's less likely that Blue Gary can prove his innocence, given people's knowledge about the multi-world theory. Similarly, unless the multi-world theory, Black Gary won't be able to help his Blue Line's self, but at least he has the heart to amend things in his own world. Still, I think Red Line is not really necessary, since it will make the story more confusing.
Sure, but as for the red line, I think it is only appropriate as black line Gary can't control where his lucid dream takes him to. He jut did it in faith and on hope.
In short, I'd say the ending couldn't have been any better.
Troy Barnes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-troy-barnes.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Troy Barnes »

SunVixen wrote: 11 Jul 2021, 06:44
Troy Barnes wrote: 06 Jul 2021, 10:24 The ending was a bit disappointing to me as blue line Gary suffered for a crime he didn't commit and black line Gary got to move on with his life, even discovering new opportunities for good things. It all felt very unfair.
The ending was a bit disappointing to me too. But there will be a next book. Poor Gary's story isn't over yet.
Wow, thanks for this! I wasn't aware there was going to be a sequel. I look forward to reading that continuation and I hope black line Gary gets his just desserts.
Troy Barnes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-troy-barnes.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Troy Barnes »

Now that you mention it, it would have made way more sense to be a seperate book drawn out across all the worldlines with their different stories and perspectives. The author did a great job on detailing the characters and whatnot but still. The ending could have been much better but I'm hoping for more in the sequel.
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Post by Wesusa »

yomide wrote: 07 Jul 2021, 10:54 The ending might kind of seem unsatisfactory. However, the story ending in differently in the worldlines suited the concept of the novel. Besides, i think the main purpose of the story is to introduce the many worlds theory in an exciting manner (which Adam Guest did a really good job at), it is only perfect for the book to end in a many worlds kind of way.
I too agree with this. It was kind of unsatisfactory- I just think that way mostly because I can't fathom a sequel to this story. What else is there to happen?
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.

Return to “Discuss "Worldlines" by Adam Guest”