Do you think Gary should plead guilty in court?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2021 Book of the month, " Worldlines: A Many Worlds Novel" (Many Worlds, #1)" by Adam Guest
Anna Bookowski
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-bookowski.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Do you think Gary should plead guilty in court?

Post by Anna Bookowski »

Do you think Gary should plead guilty or not? His father advised him to do so in order to pay respect to Michelle's parents. Mrs. Cohen advised him to plead not guilty as he did not remember his actions. Gary in prison was sure he did not commit the crime, but whether he was in control of his actions or not, he did commit the murder. What do you think?
ROSEY-ANN
Favorite Book: Winning the War on Cancer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roseyann.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by ROSEY-ANN »

Anna Bookowski wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 09:35 Do you think Gary should plead guilty or not? His father advised him to do so in order to pay respect to Michelle's parents. Mrs. Cohen advised him to plead not guilty as he did not remember his actions. Gary in prison was sure he did not commit the crime, but whether he was in control of his actions or not, he did commit the murder. What do you think?
I think this surrounds the whole issue of intention. Gary loved Michelle and had no intention of harming her and having no recollections of committing the crime may be a valid reason for him not pleading guilty.
Thabo Sibanda 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thabo-sibanda-1.html
Latest Review: Going Gone by Abraham Lopez

Post by Thabo Sibanda 1 »

A person is only responsible for actions they decide and commit in a conscious tate of mind. So Gary should not plead guilty by any means since he committed the crime while lucid dreaming.
jomana_3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jomana-3.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by jomana_3 »

I don't think he should plead guilty; however, it's easier said than done. He saw a recorded video of himself killing Michelle. I guess if there was no evidence or an explanation, he'd feel guilty for putting her family in this situation, and he'd plead guilty.
Anna Bookowski
Currently Reading:

Post by Anna Bookowski »

ROSEYANN wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 09:47
Anna Bookowski wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 09:35 Do you think Gary should plead guilty or not? His father advised him to do so in order to pay respect to Michelle's parents. Mrs. Cohen advised him to plead not guilty as he did not remember his actions. Gary in prison was sure he did not commit the crime, but whether he was in control of his actions or not, he did commit the murder. What do you think?
I think this surrounds the whole issue of intention. Gary loved Michelle and had no intention of harming her and having no recollections of committing the crime may be a valid reason for him not pleading guilty.
Yes, I think I agree with that. It was so heart-breaking, don't you think? I can't even imagine how terrible a person would feel if something like this would really happen! But I'm afraid that in reality, society would never believe this explanation, if anything they would place him in a compulsory mental care institution.
I was also wondering if my own feeling of being guilty - the consciousness of what I did even though I don't remember it - wouldn't make me plead guilty for myself.
DyanaFl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dyanafl.html
Latest Review: Like Glass by Sylvia Wilde

Post by DyanaFl »

Pleading guilty for a crime he did not commit does not sit well with me. He loved Michelle and there was no way he would have accepted that he was guilty of killing her. But if he did plead guilty, he would prolong the suffering of everyone involved. While I do not agree to keeping quiet for others' sake, it all mattered on what Gary thought more important.
Anna Bookowski
Currently Reading:

Post by Anna Bookowski »

Thabo Sibanda 1 wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 10:08 A person is only responsible for actions they decide and commit in a conscious tate of mind. So Gary should not plead guilty by any means since he committed the crime while lucid dreaming.
This is certainly a correct statement. On the other hand, if we consider all implications of multiverse theory and reasoning taken from quantum physics: let's assume that Gary from all the worldlines is in a quantum superposition, which would mean that all the Garys are not apart beings but the very same one Gary existing in all the worlds simultaneously. In this case, Gary who lucid dreamed, and the other Gary who committed a murder, are exactly the same person - hence Gary is guilty after all. But of course, as you said, THIS version of Gary was not aware of his actions - so he should not be judged for it.
And now, even if not responsible - he's still guilty of doing what he did. Just probably should not pay for it with a prison sentence - I believe that what happened was already very painful for him.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

He shouldn't please guilty, although it'll be hard for him to prove his innocence, it is better to go down fighting than giving up.
Anna Bookowski
Currently Reading:

Post by Anna Bookowski »

DyanaFl wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 12:16 Pleading guilty for a crime he did not commit does not sit well with me. He loved Michelle and there was no way he would have accepted that he was guilty of killing her. But if he did plead guilty, he would prolong the suffering of everyone involved. While I do not agree to keeping quiet for others' sake, it all mattered on what Gary thought more important.
I understand what you mean. But I'm not sure if we can really say that he did not commit the crime - because he did, just was not conscious of it. I also think he was not guilty from this point of view. But now, if we take all the factors from the book, quantum physics implies that all the Garys from different worldlines are in fact the very same person. So even though this particular version of him did not decide to kill Michelle, he did that. I don't think he should be punished for this of course. I think what he felt was already terribly painful and undeserved.
Anna Bookowski
Currently Reading:

Post by Anna Bookowski »

Mtibza eM wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 12:24 He shouldn't please guilty, although it'll be hard for him to prove his innocence, it is better to go down fighting than giving up.
I also don't think he should plead guilty. I was thinking about what would I do in his place. Perhaps I would feel so terrible after seeing the video from the security camera, I would feel guilty after all? I imagine it would hurt me so much to be judged for such a crime, I wouldn't have the power to fight for myself. You're right - it would be extremely hard to prove innocence. I guess more people would believe in serious mental health problems than that he was overtaken by other-self, though.
Anna Bookowski
Currently Reading:

Post by Anna Bookowski »

jomana_3 wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 11:21 I don't think he should plead guilty; however, it's easier said than done. He saw a recorded video of himself killing Michelle. I guess if there was no evidence or an explanation, he'd feel guilty for putting her family in this situation, and he'd plead guilty.
Yes, the video was serious evidence. I think in the real world it would make it impossible case to prove different than guilty. I'm also thinking that maybe being in his place and seeing myself doing such a thing, I would mentally collapse and just start to believe that I have lost my mind. This all was even more heart-breaking because of his close, long-lasting relationship with her family too.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Pleading guilty will not help him since he actually didn't commit the murder. Even form the legal point of view there is no reason to do that. As we have seen, there is always a chance that he might convince the jury.
MarcellaM
Currently Reading: Grey heart
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-a.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by MarcellaM »

I think Gary should not plead guilty in court. The events of the day Mitchell died are not known to him. Gary loved Mitchell and he only killed her because Gary from the other worldline acted while lucid dreaming.
Neenu B_S
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neenu-b-s.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Neenu B_S »

I don't think Gary should plead guilty because he was innocent. How can a person who didn't commit a crime, confess it? By doing so he affirms to be a criminal, which he is not, and he is killing his own conscience.
scaryeyes_25
Currently Reading: Glitter on the Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scaryeyes-25.html
Latest Review: Spoken on the Wind by Faye Westlake Newman

Post by scaryeyes_25 »

Pleading guilty or not guilty depends on what he wants to give importance. Pleading guilty will give Michelle's family closure. Because physically he did kill Michelle. The not guilty plea and proving that he is not in complete control of his mind and body during that specific time can acquit him. But can it give him closure and peace of mind? Knowing that a version of himself is guilty.
So I think even if it is unfair, it is right for him to plead guilty.

Return to “Discuss "Worldlines" by Adam Guest”