Fate?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2021 Book of the month, " Worldlines: A Many Worlds Novel" (Many Worlds, #1)" by Adam Guest
scaryeyes_25
Currently Reading: Glitter on the Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scaryeyes-25.html
Latest Review: Spoken on the Wind by Faye Westlake Newman

Re: Fate?

Post by scaryeyes_25 »

I think the author believes in fate. Fate that in all things good will prevail and justice should be served. Even though one Garry thinks he is innocent doesn't change the fact that another Garry is a murderer and fate pointed that justice should be served in that timeline even if the culprit is not in that.
And yes I also believe in fate. The only difference my day-to-day decision makes is how fast or bumpy I arrive at that fate.
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-c-n.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by Goodness C N »

No matter how we try to denounce the existence of fate, it really exists. And most especially, I believe that the author did believe that there's a thing like fate.
Mimi Kenneth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mimi-kenneth.html
Latest Review: Last Dance by Stephen Manning

Post by Mimi Kenneth »

I don't believe in fate, I believe that outcomes are the result of our choices or decisions we take but I think the author believed in fate since all the actions Gary and others took led to the same outcome.
Laurina Michael Olowoniran
Currently Reading: Be the Change: The Future is in Your Hands
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurina-olowo.html
Latest Review: Mister Pushkin Sees The Light by AC Michael

Post by Laurina Michael Olowoniran »

It was obvious that the author believes in fate but I can't say to what degree. Personally, I believe that every action has a consequence even the law of motion states that. I think the earth has been fashioned that way though.
ROSEY-ANN
Favorite Book: Winning the War on Cancer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roseyann.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by ROSEY-ANN »

Ldpuff wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 08:03 Fate is a tricky concept for me. I do believe the author believes in it, yes. The linkage between actions and outcome was obvious. For me, I have a hard time believing that no matter what actions I take, the path is already laid out for me. I prefer to think there is a general plan for me, but I have control over the details.
Good point. I agree. I think the different worldlines in the book are what the author uses to tell us this. Though the worldlines are similar there different actions being taken which lead to different outcomes. Even subtle changes can make a whole of impact.
ROSEY-ANN
Favorite Book: Winning the War on Cancer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roseyann.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by ROSEY-ANN »

Shillah A wrote: 02 Jul 2021, 00:22 I believe it's fate because no matter what Gary or anyone did, there was going to be different outcomes for every event and different worldlines would be affected.

I see your point. I think you are making an excellent point. I do see where that it is in the lucid dreams that Gary is able to impact the other worldlines. So fate is the result of some action taken ( lucid dreaming).
Precious Naiti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-naiti.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Precious Naiti »

Fate is very hard to believe in. It might make some of the things we do today feel worthless. Feeling like the future is already decided sometimes demotivates me when i keep trying to reach a goal that is unreachable. Makes me feel like fate already worked against me.
B Sheila Holt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: One Christmas Eve
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-sheila-holt.html
Latest Review: Open Heart by Akil Taher

Post by B Sheila Holt »

Yes I believe to some degree, he believed in fate. But he also knew he had choices as he went along.
We have those types of choices as well. We also come across fate that happens no matter what our choices are.
But in this book he seemed to keep each one explained well and had the story flowing smoothly as fate took over or as his own choices went into effect.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Bertha Jackson »

I think the author believes in fate but he also points out that your destination is also affected by choice. For example, Gary chose to ski down a slope while trying to take a picture. Do you think the accident was fate or determined by Gary's choice? I think fate and choice are intertwined.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

I'm not sure whether the author truly believes in fate or not. It could also be possible that the author intentionally made it look like fate. However, even after choosing different paths or different choices in the situation, it is leading to the same outcome, again and again, then I believe it to be fate.
britcott30
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Hello, My Love
Currently Reading: The Overdue Life of Amy Byler
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britcott30.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by britcott30 »

Yes, from the way he brought the story, I think he believes in fate. He makes Garry experiences different consequences from every decisions that he made. It would impact to his people around him or even to himself.
Sasha_100
Favorite Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Currently Reading: City of Ghosts
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sasha-100.html
Latest Review: Heroes of Atlantis by Ryan Carriere
fav_author_id: 2502

Post by Sasha_100 »

No. Rather than fate I would say the author believes in actions and in the consequences of those actions.

Fate is something pre-determined while here nothing feels certain accept the choices that people make and what the effect of those choices would be on themselves and others.
Fahad Afroz
Currently Reading: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fahad-baibras.html
Latest Review: Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life by Jim Santos

Post by Fahad Afroz »

Its true that there were some converging points where all the Garies from all universes had to go through same situation no matter what their action was, but the ending of the book suggests otherwise as one garry is left to rot in prison and other is set free.
Tushar Swami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tushar-swami.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Tushar Swami »

I think that the author believed in fate, but the fact that the result was pretty much a consequence of Gary's actions is also true.
raj_nandani_poet
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raj-nandani-poet.html
Latest Review: The Last City of America by Matthew Tysz

Post by raj_nandani_poet »

I think the author believed in faith because most of the actions had multiple results and the different worlds were like the different situations that fate put us into.

Return to “Discuss "Worldlines" by Adam Guest”