Is Garry a good person?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2021 Book of the month, " Worldlines: A Many Worlds Novel" (Many Worlds, #1)" by Adam Guest
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Re: Is Garry a good person?

Post by lavkathleen »

Neenu B_S wrote: 02 Jul 2021, 00:23 We cannot say that Gary is a bad person. Our unconscious mind may have dark thoughts that doesn't mean he wanted to commit that crime. None of us are perfect so we cannot blame Gary for his crime and he also worries about it later.
Hmm. :eusa-think: People were having different interpretations to blackline!Gary having murderous thoughts, but this is the first time I saw someone say that he thought of it unconciously. Even when he was awake, he's always expressed his anger towards Michelle. It can't be an unconcious thought. I don't think he's inherently evil for that, though.
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Post by lavkathleen »

Victor Kilyungi wrote: 02 Jul 2021, 00:54 Let me start with saying I don't think anyone is good. He may have dreamt of punishing Michelle in that manner but whether he wanted to or it was just inpulsive shouldn't be used to measure his 'goodness'. He still tried to atone for his mistakes by searching for a way to free his doppelganger. In the end, I think what matters is that we constantly strive to do good rather than be good because ultimately, the sum of our actions is what defines us.
Yeah. We're only reacting this way because someone actually died, which is something that he wasn't expecting. If it turned out to just be dark thoughts, we wouldn't be debating like this. :lol2: Hmm, "the sum" of our actions is still unfair to me, though.
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I was not a fan of Gary overall, but I do not think he was necessarily a bad person. The Gary in the black line represented what could happen to any person if they let bitterness fester.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Eddy E
Currently Reading: In the Meantime
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eddy-e.html
Latest Review: Sena's Black Ross by Linda k jones

Post by Eddy E »

The thing is what you harbour on the inside Is a reflection of what you portray outside. Sometime we fantasize about some horrible things but I don't think that makes us a bad person all together.
There are probably many "good" people smiling and walking but if you could see what's in their heart or mind you'd be terrified.
DTamara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtamara.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by DTamara »

I think that every human being is too messy and complex to be put into one of two boxes, good or bad. I find we are more like grayish and the whole thing is a spectrum. We all have the potential to be good or bad. I would put Gary more on the light side of the spectrum overall, given all the circumstances, and the fact that he did not make that damning decision consciously.
Ayindelaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayindelaw.html
Latest Review: The Raven's Trail (Book 1) by Liz D. Marx

Post by Ayindelaw »

I wouldn't say that he's a bad or good person. His case is not black or white in my view. However, a good person has the right to have evil thoughts in my opinion, as long as they acknowledge all their past misdeeds and determine to do good henceforth.
Innovations are usually the result of desperate times
Dartemis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dartemis.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by Dartemis »

I find it hard to say. Black Line Gary thought it was a dream at first. Even in lucid dreaming, the mind is just so unpredictable in dream land. I’m not justifying what he did, since he still murder a person, but I think in his case it is more like unresolved issues. If he knew what he did would have the impact that it did, I think he wouldn’t have done it. Still hard to say though since I think this version is right on that gray line.
Tarie07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarie07.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Tarie07 »

I would not characterize Gary as a good person. Yes we're human and we often think outrageous things when our emotions get the best of us, but the moment you start fantasizing about killing someone, you have to know it is crossing the humanity line. You may fantasize about hurting someone emotionally, but a murder fantasy is way beyond, whether you end up actually doing it or not.
Atieno Magero
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Atieno Magero »

I don't think that Gary is a bad person. I think he struggled with dark thoughts and feelings. I think the same way there are different worldlines, is the same way that there are differences in Gary's character in each worldline. I can't lie, having thoughts about killing someone is strange but I don't think that's reason enough to say he's a bad person. Generally, I think deep down Gary's a good person.
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

I cannot put Garry in either the good or bad category. It sounds complex but with each world line there was a different Garry who had acted and a new situation arose.
J_odoyo
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-odoyo.html
Latest Review: Epicenter by Carrie Hannah

Post by J_odoyo »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 02:30 Do you think that Garry is a good person? The fact that Garry from The Black Line fantasied of killing Michelle is not something that good people do. I mean he could have imagined to punish her otherwise. He is essentially the same person, no matter where the life (the line) brought him.
I think by fantasizing about killing Michelle alone, we can't be certain that Gary is a bad person. No person has control of what enters their mind; what differentiates a bad person and a good person is just the act or resolution to following their bad thoughts and finally executing them.
The more books you read the more choices you have
– Toni Morrison
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

I think this is a bit of grey area. I mean humans tend to think bad things in the heat of the moment and then regret it when they cool off. And here we have to understand that there are different Gary's in different timelines. So one should not be held accountable for the actions of the other one. While one Gary may be bad, the other may be just too angry to comprehend what he's thinking is actually wrong.
Parahiyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-parahiyo.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by Parahiyo »

We really cannot view Gary's situation as black and white. There are other factors to consider. So I do not think that he is either good or bad.
Roy Nick
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Post by Roy Nick »

Killing is a heinous crime, it is immoral and inhumane to eliminate a person's life. That said, I feel like there is a good side to Gary that overpowers the bad side. Generally, I think he is a good person.
Precious DA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-da.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by Precious DA »

I believe that there should be little changes when people are in different worldliness. In a series I watched, when a person travels to a different worldline, he might be a different version of himself or a slightly different version. I do not think Gary is a bad person, we all have fantasies about weird things, perhaps he was just really hurt.

Return to “Discuss "Worldlines" by Adam Guest”