Is Garry a good person?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2021 Book of the month, " Worldlines: A Many Worlds Novel" (Many Worlds, #1)" by Adam Guest
Precious Naiti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-naiti.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Re: Is Garry a good person?

Post by Precious Naiti »

Gary in the the Worldline that did not commit the murder is a good person. However, the one who committed the crime is not a good person because murdering someone is not a thought that anyone should entertain especially murdering them because they refused to date you.
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Post by Wesusa »

As a whole, yes. To be fair, neither of the Garys' did really anything wrong in their own worldline. One of them was dreaming and was acting purely upon emotion. The other had to deal with the ramifications of what the other had done instinctively.
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
Elendu Ekechukwu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Elendu Ekechukwu »

I still consider Gary a good person. I wouldn't say just because he imagined or fantasized about killing Michelle he is now a bad person. In our mind no matter how good we still have evil thoughts .
Gemjay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gemjay.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Gemjay »

We all fantasize about doing many things but the only difference between us and those in prison is not accomplishing our fantasies. Some people think that thinking about something wrong is as bad as committing it but I will disagree.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 02:30 Do you think that Garry is a good person? The fact that Garry from The Black Line fantasied of killing Michelle is not something that good people do. I mean he could have imagined to punish her otherwise. He is essentially the same person, no matter where the life (the line) brought him.
Frankly speaking, the characters weren't my favorite aspect of the book. And Garry from the Black Line was my less favorite among them :) Yes, his reaction was excessive, in my opinion. Also, I disliked that he could live quite normally, knowing that he actually killed a girl.
Reader Chavez
Currently Reading: Jirvania
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-chavez.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Reader Chavez »

The book shows a variety of wordlines that let us understand aspects of Gary's personality, and I believe he was mainly good. I understand that fantasizing about killing Michelle was not "normal" but in the different wordlines, his reaction towards Michelle was slightly different. I think Gary, like all humans, has good and bad in himself.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

I think Black Gary is human. Not bad or good, just simply human. At one point in our life, any of us would think about resenting or wanting to hurt someone. The reason may vary from small deals like arguments to big deals like humiliation. Thus, when we are given a chance to vent our anger without facing the legal consequences, we will most likely take it. Black Gary's action is a bit too extreme, but one single act can't be used to classify him as good or bad.
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

I read in a book that " there is no such thing as bad people. we're all just people who sometimes do bad things." And I am certainly in favor of the statement. I think Gary is a good person. He didn't do what he fantasied about. He controlled his actions, and that what makes him a good person. We all think bad things in a bad situation, but our actions are truly what makes us.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by ciecheesemeister »

He thought that he was dreaming. I've had dreams where I've done things that I would never do in real life. His motivation was the idea of getting his resentment of his system by stabbing her in his dream. When he woke up, he regretted it. He couldn't have known that he was actually causing someone's death on another timeline.
People who have undergone trauma often have violent intrusive thoughts and horrific nightmares that they would never act on. I don't think that it's right to say that a person who has such thoughts or dreams is not a good person. Those of us who have them struggle with the fact that we have them.
LYDIA KINYANJUI
Currently Reading: The Bright One of the Skillful Hand
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lydia-kinyanjui.html
Latest Review: God's Plan For Your Future by David Charles Cole
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by LYDIA KINYANJUI »

I think Garry who is in a relationship with Mitchelle is push over but allGarry's characters, I think are fundamentally good. Even after fantasies of killing and actually killing Mitchelle, he does his best to try and fix it
LYDIA KINYANJUI
Currently Reading: The Bright One of the Skillful Hand
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lydia-kinyanjui.html
Latest Review: God's Plan For Your Future by David Charles Cole

Post by LYDIA KINYANJUI »

I think Garry who is in a relationship with Mitchelle is push over but allGarry's characters, I think are fundamentally good. Even after fantasies of killing and actually killing Mitchelle, he does his best to try and fix it
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker

Post by Amy Luman »

I think that Gary, in this universe, at least, is a good person. At the very least, he is no worse than anyone else. I you subscribe to the theory of parallel universes then you know that he cannot control what the other Garys do.
raj_nandani_poet
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raj-nandani-poet.html
Latest Review: The Last City of America by Matthew Tysz

Post by raj_nandani_poet »

I think he is a good person. this is because whatever we are is highly detrimental to the situations and conditions we are in or have faced in the past. The main streak of goodness or evilness is never clearly defined. it is good and it is bad and the situations and conditions mixed with the subconscious and conscious bring out the ultimate result.

Gary had a burning rage within him due to his frustrating condition of being bedridden and not finding the life as he had imagined, so when in the dream he found a way to channel his anger, he did it. He was not aware that this was going to impact someone in real life, so he was without restrain. If only he had known that he was going to impact a whole new world, he might've been more in control. This single episode cannot determine the goodness or evilness of the man.
Troy Barnes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-troy-barnes.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Troy Barnes »

I feel that we as people are shaped by our experiences. Blue line Gary had had a wonderful life free of struggles, trials or tribulations and his showed in how he lived and behaved and loved. Black line Gary on the other hand was a miserable wretch of a creature that could barely move around without assistance and had nothing to life, Such abject misery would in turn lead to dark thoughts and blaming those he held responsible for the mess of his life. So I can't say that he's either bad or good. It's subjective.
Guda Lydia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guda-lydia.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Guda Lydia »

We all have a balance of good and evil in us. Gary is a good person, just that one of his versions is driven by anger and pain. Otherwise, I do believe he is a good person and truly loved Michelle.

Return to “Discuss "Worldlines" by Adam Guest”