Overwhelming background information

Use this forum to discuss the July 2021 Book of the month, " Worldlines: A Many Worlds Novel" (Many Worlds, #1)" by Adam Guest
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Overwhelming background information

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

The author has gone too far, as per my opinion, describing the background details when he took the reader to a new scenario. A few examples are the descriptions about the road in the scenario of Gary's nearly missed accident, the details about the campus cafeteria when Sinead took Gary to meet her boyfriend, the details about the train station when Gary went to London to get his girlfriend and the details about the local pub that Gary and Michelle had dinner.

Do you feel the same as me? Could it have been better if the details were a bit less? Did you find it distracting or did you prefer it the way it was?
Reema Aydieh
Currently Reading: Everyone in My Family Has Killed Someone
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reema-aydieh.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Reema Aydieh »

I did notice that too, I feel like the author could have focused more on the story and how the plot progressed than describing things that didn't move the story forward. Maybe that would've worked if things were equally described to draw readers into the world.
“Just keep swimming.”
Unsullied
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unsullied.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Post by Unsullied »

I loved those descriptions. I was able to get into the new planet through those descriptions. For a fiction, I think those descriptions were very necessary.
ROSEY-ANN
Favorite Book: Winning the War on Cancer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roseyann.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by ROSEY-ANN »

Sushan wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 01:00 The author has gone too far, as per my opinion, describing the background details when he took the reader to a new scenario. A few examples are the descriptions about the road in the scenario of Gary's nearly missed accident, the details about the campus cafeteria when Sinead took Gary to meet her boyfriend, the details about the train station when Gary went to London to get his girlfriend and the details about the local pub that Gary and Michelle had dinner.

Do you feel the same as me? Could it have been better if the details were a bit less? Did you find it distracting or did you prefer it the way it was?
I think the descriptions were necessary to soften the book a bit by using imagery. The description made the story seem realistic and provided prevented the book from being monotonous.
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriny-youssef.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Eriny Youssef »

I feel the same way as you do. As a reader, I don't appreciate too many details about background, or too mich details in general, for the matter. However, I think it differs from one reader to the other. Some top sellers are stacked with details and people love it.

I find it distracting and think the less the better. Concise and to the point is my preference.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
t_mann23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-mann23.html
Latest Review: Soria's Blood by D.L. Brownson

Post by t_mann23 »

I think it's really a matter of preference. Some readers love having lots of details to set them in the scene and others don't. In this case, for the most part, I thought there were the right amount of descriptions and they were helpful.
jomana_3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jomana-3.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by jomana_3 »

The detailed description didn't really bother me. Actually, I enjoyed reading these parts, and they helped me understand the characters better. Moreover, I didn't feel that the details were excessive or boring.
DyanaFl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dyanafl.html
Latest Review: Like Glass by Sylvia Wilde

Post by DyanaFl »

I think the descriptions highlighted the fact that the worldlines were similiar with just a slight difference in one or two details (for the most part). I'm not a big fan of drawn out repetitive descriptions, but in this case it didn't bother me as much. I didn't view them as a hindrance.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

No, I think the descriptions were perfect. There worked well in laying the foundation that the story was going to be built on top of. So had the author hurried to properly describe those scenes, most readers would have been confused and lost.
Reader-247
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-247.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Reader-247 »

I hate to admit it but at times I would skip indepth details which set the scene because I, just like you, feel that stories are dragged and these details do not add to the plot of the story.
Akanksha D
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akanksha-d.html
Latest Review: The Bronze Bear Continues by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Akanksha D »

I did feel the same. Sometimes it was ok, but sometimes it was too much. I feel like the book could have spent time instead on character development, which it lacks quite significantly, in my opinion.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

I don’t think it was overwhelming at all. For a book like this, a lot of description is needed in order to get a real feel as to what is happening in the story. It doesn’t matter if it’s not significant to the story, what matters to me is understanding what I’m reading and every single description helps make the story real
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-c-n.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by Goodness C N »

Yeah. Yeah. Sometimes authors do bad by giving overt descriptions. I find this quite distracting to say the least. Regardless, this book was an amazing read.
Neenu B_S
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neenu-b-s.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Neenu B_S »

I didn't find it distracting because it gave a flow to the plot. It was necessary as all those details reminds us of the scene when it happens in another worldline. And it also helped us to visualize the scene better.
Victor Kilyungi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor-kilyungi.html
Latest Review: A Fate Unwound Too Soon by anna-karen sorensen

Post by Victor Kilyungi »

I did notice them too but they weren't overkill for me. I think they served to show that only minor changes in the worldlines had occured. After all, isn't the many worlds theory suggesting that there are minor changes between worldlines all summing up to form an infinite number of possibilities for each scenario, each place, each person and each action?

Return to “Discuss "Worldlines" by Adam Guest”