Overwhelming background information

Use this forum to discuss the July 2021 Book of the month, " Worldlines: A Many Worlds Novel" (Many Worlds, #1)" by Adam Guest
MarcellaM
Currently Reading: Grey heart
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-a.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Re: Overwhelming background information

Post by MarcellaM »

I found this to be repetitive. The information was the same as the one previously explained. Despite all this, I think it couldn't have brought in the concept of worldlines better if he would have eliminated this information.
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

I agree. I felt this way especially with the details of the train station. I think it has to do with individual preferences, but, in my opinion, lengthy descriptions should be for places the readers aren't familiar with, for how the character reacts to the scene in interesting ways, or details that are relevant to the plot rather than describing a train station, which most readers are familiar with. I found the amount of details a bit tedious and distracting at times.
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
B Sheila Holt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: One Christmas Eve
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-sheila-holt.html
Latest Review: Open Heart by Akil Taher

Post by B Sheila Holt »

I feel that for this story, the amount of description given was necessary to help the reader see each character and place as the author also had envisioned them. The extra descriptions grout the reader into the mind of where the author was looking and let us follow along much better and easier.
Now some stories, extra details are definitely too much and out-of-place, but here…it worked well for the story.
Laurina Michael Olowoniran
Currently Reading: Be the Change: The Future is in Your Hands
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurina-olowo.html
Latest Review: Mister Pushkin Sees The Light by AC Michael

Post by Laurina Michael Olowoniran »

I think the description of the background helps me get into my imagination better. It helps me feel the book the way I should. I
The descriptions are good.
Precious Naiti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-naiti.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Precious Naiti »

I agree with you. I even felt like the characters were over developed at some point. The repetition also made me annoyed to be honest.
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Post by Wesusa »

I feel like it was a bit to excessive, but I didn't find myself enjoying the book until these details dissipated into the background and the story finally came to the forefront. It just felt like too much of a soap opera in a way with how detailed it was, it didn't service the story and I just found it annoying.
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
Gemjay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gemjay.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Gemjay »

The descriptions are key in the story it makes someone form a clear imagination of the environment. So I think it's great that the author included those descriptions.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

The detailed description of Gary's accident was very important because it was a turning point for the whole story. So, I believe, all the details were quite necessary :)
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

I do feel the same as you. Overwhelming background information is distracting for me. Honestly, to read them sometimes irritates me a lot, as I get impatient to read the main content. For me, no doubt it could have been a lot better if the details were a bit less descriptive.
Fahad Afroz
Currently Reading: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fahad-baibras.html
Latest Review: Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life by Jim Santos

Post by Fahad Afroz »

Personally for me those details made me more indulged in the world of "Worldlines", and helped me understand the enviornment and build a respect for writing abilities of the author.
Caroline Anne Richmond
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Bad Intentions
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-anne-richmond.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Caroline Anne Richmond »

I don’t usually enjoy excessive descriptions and there were a lot in this book. In this case I didn’t mind it as I think it helped to set the scene and helped with keeping up with which worldline the story was in.
Buk Nerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buk-nerd.html
Latest Review: Ribzkniks by Y M Georges

Post by Buk Nerd »

The details were a bit much, and it didn't help that none of it served to move the story forward. Less focus on mundane details would certainly have been better. It was a bit distracting because of the way it bogged the story down a little.
"Literature is the most agreeable way of ignoring life." - Fernando Pessoa :techie-studyinggray:
Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: A Collection of Poetry by Cheree Scott

Post by Jagiine »

Sushan wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 01:00 The author has gone too far, as per my opinion, describing the background details when he took the reader to a new scenario. A few examples are the descriptions about the road in the scenario of Gary's nearly missed accident, the details about the campus cafeteria when Sinead took Gary to meet her boyfriend, the details about the train station when Gary went to London to get his girlfriend and the details about the local pub that Gary and Michelle had dinner.

Do you feel the same as me? Could it have been better if the details were a bit less? Did you find it distracting or did you prefer it the way it was?
I definitely agree. There were times that I felt the author was doing great, with a perfect amount of description and action. Other times, such as with the examples you gave and the in-depth ski discussion, I either find myself growing tired of the details or just lost because I didn't have the background (and possibly dialect) necessary to keep up. In fact, I skimmed some of these parts when they got too dense.
raj_nandani_poet
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raj-nandani-poet.html
Latest Review: The Last City of America by Matthew Tysz

Post by raj_nandani_poet »

I don't think that the author went overboard with the details. The details were the small and subtle incidents that showed the dramatic effects the small things have on our lives. The ski accident actually could have saved the life which actually it does in another worldline. Gary's life and relationship in the blue line helped me to understand more about him and his personality. It made the characters more real.
Troy Barnes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-troy-barnes.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Troy Barnes »

What do you know about life? It's the details, the little things, the unnoticed pieces that lend color and vividness to the tale. The authors attention to detail while off-putting to some simply shows the effort he has put into writing this book.

Return to “Discuss "Worldlines" by Adam Guest”