Is death the only thing guaranteed in our lives?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2021 Book of the month, " Worldlines: A Many Worlds Novel" (Many Worlds, #1)" by Adam Guest
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Re: Is death the only thing guaranteed in our lives?

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Elendu Ekechukwu wrote: 03 Jul 2021, 07:48 Even though the author doesn't agree with that fact but I have been alive for so long and seen many people die when the time is due or sometimes prematurely. But am very certain is the only thing everyone will ever face.
Yes. Many of us who are alive so far have seen many others dying. But after reading what this author says a little doubt has creeped into my mind whether it has always been a subjective experience as this author suggests. Is death a certainty? Or do we have separate lives in separate universes in this multiverse?
ROSEY-ANN
Favorite Book: Winning the War on Cancer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roseyann.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by ROSEY-ANN »

Judy_Jemutai7 wrote: 08 Jul 2021, 12:54 This statement is not entirely true because death is a possibility but as long as we have life, we are guaranteed of seeing the next day. Death is not a guarantee, it is a one time thing but we have life on a daily basis. It is not relevant to the story.
I like the point your making!! For example, for the majority of the worldlines Garry the main protagonist is alive. Doesn't this then say that living is more likely than death.
ROSEY-ANN
Currently Reading:

Post by ROSEY-ANN »

Nathaniel Owolabi wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 04:34 Well, I do not think people say that, since this is the first time I have read this. To answer your second question, I do agree that death is guaranteed in life but I do not think it is the only thing guaranteed, I think life is also guaranteed for before you die you have to live. I do think it is rather relevant to prove his point,
Excellent point!! It is only after being alive that one can experience death. In addition, the author explores the possibility of "life and death" occurring together by creating multiple scenarios. However, if we look at the worldlines presented being alive - for each individual - is a more likely outcome because of the different situations that can arise in living. Death is merely a result of having lived.
ROSEY-ANN
Currently Reading:

Post by ROSEY-ANN »

Sushan wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 00:17
Death, the only thing in life that is guaranteed. That’s what people say and that’s what we all think. However, what if it isn’t?
(Location 26 of Kindle version)

The author gets a start to his story with the above statement. He says that 'people say so'. Do actually people say like that? Do you too think like that? What is the actual relevance of this statement to this story?
From the author's point of view. No, death is not the only thing that is guaranteed. In fact, life may be the only guarantee for some based on the multiverse concept. Some people are alive in the given worldlines, for example, Professor Buzzard is alive in all the worldlines.
ROSEY-ANN
Currently Reading:

Post by ROSEY-ANN »

Mtibza eM wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 12:29 That statement was not relevant to the entire story but I agree with it. When you are alive, you have a freewill, you can do anything and control almost every thing about your life, but death you can't. It is guaranteed and no matter how cautious we can get, we can't run away from it.
I see your point. In addition, It is more likely for the most part to keep on living than to die. If we should examine the various worldlines Professor Buzzard is alive in all of them. Is the author suggesting then that living forever based on scientific thinking - accurate knowledge - is a possibility. Is it tangential thinking on the part of Professor Buzzard? Is it a real possibility based on what scientists have discovered?
Ashlee Atkins
Favorite Book: Blindsided
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ashlee Atkins »

I think that this is an excellent question to think about. I'm on the fritz about this because part of me feels like it is guaranteed but the other part of me wonders if it isn't. The part of me that thinks it isn't is only because I have watched waaaayyyy too many Sci-Fi movies about incubating people for centuries and when they wake up they are perfectly fine. The other part of me that feels like it is guaranteed is because by nature, we as humans all pass at one point. Then the other question that arises is whether we can become reincarnated, which would be a WHOLE other thing.
yomide
Currently Reading: We are voulhire
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yomide.html
Latest Review: The Scarlet Queen: by Mitch Reinhardt

Post by yomide »

Death being guaranteed is of no relevance to the main plot of the story. But take a look at Michelle's death, it was guaranteed in the blue line, wasn't it? However, on a more multiverse scale, Michelle is still very much alive in the red and black lines simulteaniously with her being dead in the green and blue lines.
There is no point in trying to please a person who doesn't apreciate me. Besides, why do I have to try and please anyone in the first place?
Hunter Tester
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Silent Patient
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hunter-tester.html
Latest Review: Whale of Wonder by Marie-Paule Mahoney

Post by Hunter Tester »

I’ve heard that the only thing guaranteed in life are death and taxes.

It’s an important quote to introduce the many worlds theory. Here is the potential to be immortal, or so it seems.
Anjali Patil
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjali-patil.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Anjali Patil »

I have heard many people use this line in their speeches and all. So, to answer your first question, yes, I think people say this.

Now the second question arises that is whether I believe it or not? In the opinion of, I think it's true and I believe that birth and death are guaranteed. Also, Michelle's death was guaranteed in the book.
yomide

Post by yomide »

63tty wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 09:47 I don't think this was relevant to the author's story. But it is a quote that is factual, in that we all die in the end. I don't think like that and I also don't believe people think like that.
Sure i doesnt seem relevant to the story. That is because the author didnt emphasis on it as part of the plot. And it isnt part of the plot, it is just a fact that if viewed in a different light, we would say is true and also not true. In the story's concept, it isnt. But in real time, it is.
There is no point in trying to please a person who doesn't apreciate me. Besides, why do I have to try and please anyone in the first place?
Chinecherem A
Currently Reading: Alwyn And June Crawshaw's Outdoor Painting Course
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinecherem-a.html
Latest Review: Fragments by Bruce K. Berger

Post by Chinecherem A »

People say that death is inevitable or something of that nature. And yes, it is pretty much the most certain thing that everyone regardless of beliefs, religion, mindset, status, nationality has in common. I think it is correct.

As for its relevance, I just think it is an interesting perspective in the book.
the_ashfeathers
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-ashfeathers.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter
fav_author_id: 2912

Post by the_ashfeathers »

I have often heard people say that including once my friend's conversation with her dad on this topic itself. I can't help but agree, death indeed is the only thing guaranteed in life. To relate with our current life, no one could have foreseen the circumstances we're facing today, the pandemic took the lives of some of the fittest people in life. It was the most unexpected, however, death is always expected at some point. Nothing else can be guaranteed. However, in my opinion, it doesn't hold any significance to the book.
"Bloodthirsty little beasts. Never trust a duck." ~ Will Herondale (Cassandra Clare)
yomide

Post by yomide »

:cry:
Sushan wrote: 07 Jul 2021, 21:15
Neenu B_S wrote: 02 Jul 2021, 00:55 The plot of the story doesn't seem to agree with it but I do. Life is so unpredictable and the only guaranteed thing would be death which we come to all of us some day. The author says 'people say so' and so I guess the author is right.
I think the author says 'people say so' because despite what the people say the author is telling a different thing via his story. If there are multiple world lines or multi universes, or ultimately multiple ways a single person can live at the same time, there should be multiple ways that he/she can die too. What if one of such possibility is immortality? Then the death will remain no more as an inevitable thing.
Agreed. I guess that is why the author asked the question: 'what would it feel like to be immortal?' This makes sense (although he isn't literal) everyone is an immortal. While we might die in one worldline, we might be very much alive in another. So, according to the author, death might be the only thing that isn't guaranteed, technically.
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

I agree that death is the only thing in life that is guaranteed. The rest of life itself I feel is a chance with a luck. I haven't heard other people say it countable times, and I think the relevance of the statement is to support the story.
Benaron
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benaron.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Benaron »

63tty wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 09:47 I don't think this was relevant to the author's story. But it is a quote that is factual, in that we all die in the end. I don't think like that and I also don't believe people think like that.
I partially agree; most people don't consciously think "I'm gonna die" throughout the day. However, I would argue that in the decision-making process, many have the thought "what the heck, what's it worth anyways" and will do whatever it is their consciousness is telling them not to do.

Return to “Discuss "Worldlines" by Adam Guest”