What if it was you?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2021 Book of the month, " Worldlines: A Many Worlds Novel" (Many Worlds, #1)" by Adam Guest
Anna Bookowski
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-bookowski.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Re: What if it was you?

Post by Anna Bookowski »

lavkathleen wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 10:15
Anna Bookowski wrote: 02 Jul 2021, 11:41 Literally everything as this is the assumption of the theory :) So I would conduct myself in every possible way (in this worldline this way, in another one, another way), creating even more different outcomes, and then adjusting to the consequences, and so on, and creating more new outcomes and so on. :ugeek2:
Let's not forget that the multiverse theory says EVERY possible situation must occur. And what we read in the book are also just a few chosen worldlines, but there are countless other possibilities.
Sure but... to do that, you must also have a way to... well, to reset things. How could you possibly try to find the one that will produce your desired outcome without that? There's also the problem with time... you don't have a lot of that. Unless the reset that you find also resets your body.
I'm sorry but it seems you don't exactly understand how it works :) There's no free will in it. The multiverse theory says every possible outcome must happen and it causes infinity of worldlines. In fact, it's far behind the human mind's capacity to comprehend. According to the theory, you'd also die in ALL the possible ways. I'm not sure what do you mean by resetting things. It's not a matter of what you'd like, it's pure math, sort of an algorythm.
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Post by lavkathleen »

Elendu Ekechukwu wrote: 03 Jul 2021, 07:34 To be honest I can't imagine myself being in Gray's position. People would think that you are a serial killer psycho. If I were to be Gray I would also date Michelle in the other world
Oh my god :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: We're out here thinking what it would be like to be put in a situation where we need to deal with the multiverse being real, while you consider dating Michelle. :lol2: Anyway, yes, people would definitely lose trust in you. Strangers would remember you as that person accused of gruesome murder. I'd still like to imagine, though, 'cause the multiverse is cool.
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

jomana_3 wrote: 02 Jul 2021, 16:46 That would be kind of scary, knowing that another version of yourself can take control over you and do whatever they want. I don't really know what would be my reaction if such a thing existed in real life, but I know life would be much more complicated.
Yeah, it will change the world, or rather, the universe, as we know it. I didn't think of it as scary, I just thought it would be cool. :lol2: But you're totally right, that is scary to have your body and your world be left to the hands of a different version of you. It's dangerous. But hey, you could do the same thing!
Kathleen Lavador

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

scaryeyes_25 wrote: 02 Jul 2021, 18:36 Wow, that's kinda hard to answer. Gary comes to mind and all I can think of is I don't want to be him in any way. Michelle's and Sinead's fates are kinda different in some of the worldlines. Mostly if they were with Gary or just friends with him or have animosity with each other. If I knew this theory what would I do? I think I will be experimenting as innocently and as safely as I can without doing actions that will impact drastically any version of me. The real difference lies if your intent is good or bad. You have this freedom to choose so what will you do with that freedom.
You didn't say why you didn't want to be him. Is it because of the murder case? 'Cause same. :lol2: But the point is you'd be in a place where you're aware of the multiverse! That's nice of you to not want to harm other versions of you, though. Would they do the same thing for you, though?
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

hullahope wrote: 03 Jul 2021, 01:51 I would not tell anyone about it directly. But, I would leave little hints for people around me and guide them to discover it for themselves. In this way, I think they will have a better understanding of the fact and also it won't cause them to disbelieve me.
That's... weird. I think. Proper communication is important! How sure are you that they'll pick up the hints? Would they actually be brave enough to do it themselves? They'll probably think they're alone, too. This is a weird way of avoiding losing the trust of people around you. :lol2:
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Neenu B_S wrote: 03 Jul 2021, 02:08 If I was in the position of Gary, then that would really blow me off since I know the truth but none of the people around me is gonna believe me. I would be seen as a criminal as well as a psych. I really cant imagine how helpless I would be.
But if you're in Gary's place, that means you'll also have Sinead and Prof. Buzzard. People who studied the situation that you're in... though it was only hypothetical. You'll still feel helpless, though. It might be the first time that it blows over like that, and therefore, first time for an opportunity to study it in reality. It would be hard to prove your innocence... but hey, you're not alone like you thought!
Kathleen Lavador

ROSEY-ANN
Favorite Book: Winning the War on Cancer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roseyann.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by ROSEY-ANN »

Jasy95 wrote: 04 Jul 2021, 02:23 Honestly, it's a boring answer, but I'd probably do nothing about it. Trying to do something about it or change the way I was living based on the parallel universes would stress me out way too much. It'd be best to just keep trying to live life to the fullest and pretend I didn't know, because ignorance is bliss (even if it's pretend ignorance!)
I agree ignorance is bliss in some cases. I would choose not to interfere with the unfolding events. I mean I believe in dealing with the cards one has been dealt. There would be too many consequences to deal with that could potentially become exhausting for me. However, I understand why it would be adventurous for some people.
yomide
Currently Reading: We are voulhire
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yomide.html
Latest Review: The Scarlet Queen: by Mitch Reinhardt

Post by yomide »

Well the entire idea of an infinite universe is dope. I cant imagine my feelings in Gary's position, however, Gary is a cool dude. Putting myself in anybody shoes, that person would be proffessor buzzard. He was able to get a vivid instance on a theory he is so in love with and even got to know how true it is.
There is no point in trying to please a person who doesn't apreciate me. Besides, why do I have to try and please anyone in the first place?
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

I will live my life the way I want it to be and strive to be the best version of myself. I will never meddle with the lives of my other versions from other worldlines. Hopefully, each version brings out the best impact for the rest of the versions.
Susan Kihleng
Currently Reading: Just Give Me a Soft Place to Land
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-kihleng.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Susan Kihleng »

I would think it would be pretty difficult to get anyone to believe me if I obtained the knowledge of other worldliness. I'm not sure I would do anything differently or tell anyone. I think that would end up creating more issues than keeping quiet about it.
Novela book
Favorite Book: Chameleons
Currently Reading: The Midnight Library
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novela-book.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Novela book »

I would try hard to maintain my composer and try to know as much as possible about the many worlds. and I will only let this information out to people who can understand it.
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

If it were possible, the thought of being able to experience a different reality already has me excited. I would be popping in and out of world lines. Though I doubt I would want to be in any character's position, instead, I would like to create a whole new life.
Brandy_Nyongesa
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandy-nyongesa.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Brandy_Nyongesa »

I would be so frustrated. This is because I will not be in control of my life in other worlds. I would also feel overwhelmed having so many things going on in different worlds at the same time.
Little_Lotte
Currently Reading: Rimas
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-little-lotte.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by Little_Lotte »

That is a very interesting question, it's been weeks since I finished the book but I find myself constantly thinking about it, especially after a weird dream. For one, I try to be more kind to people, mainly because one simply does not know what kind of life they have been living.
Eddy E
Currently Reading: In the Meantime
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eddy-e.html
Latest Review: Sena's Black Ross by Linda k jones

Post by Eddy E »

If the worldlines did actually exist, I don't know if I would tell anyone, considering how absurd it sounds. It would also be scary knowing another me existed.

Return to “Discuss "Worldlines" by Adam Guest”